Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2008, 03:30 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Txn2daBone
Big Bend Ranch State Park/Big Bend National Park

Well this was my first camping trip with the SMB. By trial and error I learned what I should have taken with me...what I could have taken with me and what I will take with me next time.

I left San Antonio on Tuesday the 9th knowing full well that I'd be running head on into a cold front that would make it's way through Texas later that day. I arrived in Del Rio about noon and stopped for lunch...it was sunny and 75. Two hours later I hit the gusty winds...the temperature dropped rapidly and then came the rain which turned to this...

From Alpine to within a few miles of the Sauceda Ranger station in the park it snowed. I arrived in the parking lot about 10:30 that evening. The next morning I got my permit and snapped a few pictures of the surroundings...This is the Sauceda Ranger Station

Here's the corral behind the station. A Ranger informed that there are two Vaquero's that have worked this ranch for over fifty years now...

After checking out everything I headed for the road to the Guale Mesa campsite. The snowfall made for a visually pleasing drive...

Now the physical part of the drive wasn't so comfy. I didn't have the luxury of airing down(no onboard air...FYI, Santa has already been notified of my deep desire to correct this inconvenience) The road was very rough so it was slow going for me. Here's just a few more pictures of the landscape....

After a while I came up on this guy...

After a few minutes of doing my best wild burro calls to try and lure it closer for a better picture I think it got more annoyed than anything and spun around to show me the business end....

as if to say...KISS THIS!

more to come...

Old 12-20-2008, 05:19 PM   #2

After stopping to take numerous pictures and the slow going I finally reached the campsite about 2pm...and what a view it was!

By the time I set up camp and got situated...

I noticed the moon was already out by 4pm...I kinda figured I was in for a chilly night.

It was dark about 6:15 so I fixed me a bite to eat and then kicked back to watch a couple of DVD's. I got kinda restless about 2am so I tried my hand at taking some night shots...this is really the only one worth showing.

The next morning....Spam! It's what's for breakfast.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:55 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Txn2,

That looks familiar! ...and we can't wait to get back there.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:42 AM   #4

I hear ya Greg. I'm already planning next year for a trip back.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:57 AM   #5

When I made my reservations I was told that parts of the park were access restricted because of a hunt that was going on for 5 days there. I got up nice and early to make the hike to the Guale Trailhead and it was very hard to keep from stepping on my tongue since it was dragging the ground the whole way there....I couldn't believe my eyes! These guys were everywhere.....

Here's a few shots from the trailhead...

The rest of the day was spent hiking and relaxing and just trying to absorb the sights as much as I could before I left the next morning. At the end of the day I was treated to a very cool sunset....

I loaded up the next morning and headed out. The two and a half days I was there I never saw another person on the way up to the campsite...while I was at the campsite or on the way down....but, these guys were there to see me off....

I left Big Bend Ranch State Park and headed to Big Bend National Park.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:47 AM   #6

Re: Big Bend Ranch State Park/Big Bend National Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txn2daBone
Well this was my first camping trip with the SMB.
What a way to start!

Those are some fantastic photos!
Old 12-21-2008, 10:09 AM   #7

Well thanks geoffff...but here's two pictures I wish I hadn't taken...Mother Nature's calling card....

I cringed everytime I heard a branch or thorn bush scrape down the side... but actually it all cleaned up pretty well.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:21 PM   #8
Site Team

Desert pin-striping. I remember that from my days in AZ. Love the night shot (shadows caused by the moon?), and the reflected sunset shot.

Herb
Old 12-21-2008, 05:03 PM   #9

Thanks Herb,

I think that night shot is my favorite. I took about 20 pictures most of which were too dark so I tweaked the camera settings and that one came out just right...and I've got one more of the reflected shots coming up.

Ric
Old 12-21-2008, 05:57 PM   #10

On my way to Big Bend National Park on FM 170 you pass through Terlingua, Tx...words escape me as how to accurately describe this little desert town. It's geared for tourists...lot's of small RV Parks...desert attractions...trading posts...mom and pop greasy spoons...and very creative folks such as this....

On the right you have a submarine surfacing from the sand and to the left you can make out some type of ship that's being lived in.

It was suggested to me by a member on this forum(and I won't mention that it was Greg in Austin) to stop by "La Kiva" for some liquid refreshment while passing through....so I did. I mingled with the locals there Friday night...and...um....what goes on in La Kiva...stays in La Kiva!

Here's a few shots of Big Bend National Park...
Santa Elena Canyon

Probably the most recognizable landmark there...Mule Ears

My campsite....I'm that small dot in the center