Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2018, 10:00 AM   #11

Emailed! Excited!

ohpyramids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:26 AM   #12

This is what Bill Burke wrote about costs so far:

"I'll get a price for the class out. Generally 7 vehicles is a good target and last year cost was around $775.00 per van"
Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:05 PM   #13

Looking for a few more participants

UPDATE, DETAILS

Bill Burke has 4 or 5 interested parties now. He wants 6 (no more), so there are perhaps 1 or 2 more spots left.

Bill confirmed the following:

Cost: $775 per van. Includes handouts, use of his training equipment for recovery and such, training, future follow up to your questions, logistical support before the event. 50% deposit to secure the spot (limited to 6 vans) by calling Rachel (Bill's wife): 970-858-3468 with credit card. She will run the balance about 6 days before the class. Because this is a small class with limited space - this is a NON-refundable fee. But, transferable!!

Dates: 23-25 February 2018 (3 days)

Area: Borrego Springs, California (exact meeting location and time will be provided to participants)

Bill will cover many topics relative to 4wd van operation, 4wd systems, mechanical systems, easy to moderate terrain negotiation (you will be challenged by the terrain - but no vehicle damage). Driver skill sets, situational awareness specific to Van operation in technical terrain. Recovery exercises to develop quality skill sets: simple expedient, KERR rope extractions, basic tools to advanced equipment familiarization, Use of jacks, sand/traction boards (Maxtrax), winching scenario skill development (single, double, re-direct), Stuck Assessment, Resistance Calculations, use of variable anchor choices (Pull-Pal, trees, other vehicles).

Driving will be typical desert wash and sand dunes. We will practice recovery as we move along, gain skills and confidence over the weekend. Discussion of "field fixes" for vehicle platform, tire repair, steering, drive-line and engine fixes as questions arise.

Bill has found with these type specific groups - sharing information around the fire, during the lecture and topic moments - we can all gain from "group experience" of ownership. Bill has spent a great amount of time in large vehicle operation off-road. So, he is very familiar with your special needs!

Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:25 PM   #14

Here is a similar school for those in the east. It ain't cheap though:
http://www.overlandexperts.com/recre...ing_school.php
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
Loved driving on the sand on day 2 which is something we don't really have here in Colorado.
I remember doing some wild four-wheeling in some sandy dry runs outside Montrose. And you have the Great Sand Dunes National Park which has some sandy sections of 4WD trail.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:27 AM   #16

I'd love to do this but have something else going on that same weekend. Maybe next year? I was looking at some other courses as well lately as something to do this "winter".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2018, 11:33 AM   #17

Is the cost per van or per person? Some courses want to charge per person since each person gets the benefits of the class. Makes sense but if my wife and I can go for one price I may change plans and do this. I'll contact Bill on this.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:58 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rltilley View Post
Is the cost per van or per person? Some courses want to charge per person since each person gets the benefits of the class. Makes sense but if my wife and I can go for one price I may change plans and do this. I'll contact Bill on this.

IIRC, it's per vehicle, or perhaps more accurately, per vehicle driver plus one passenger. I've brought my wife on a trip and a friend on a couple of other trips, and I think it was all part of the single price I paid for each trip.

Herb
Old 01-06-2018, 02:49 PM   #19

Garage
Man that looks rad!

I wish.....
....that there was a similar course (or option to tag along) for those who are running a capable 2WD. Driving and recovery techniques for those with a locker-equipped heavy 2WD van would be neat to get coaching on as well.

(Plus.....I'd be just genuinely curious to see how far that experienced Bill Burke gentleman could get an "ideally set up" 2WD van (aired down, rear locker engaged) on the same routes/courses that they run for the 4WD class......)
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
Man that looks rad!

I wish.....
....that there was a similar course (or option to tag along) for those who are running a capable 2WD. Driving and recovery techniques for those with a locker-equipped heavy 2WD van would be neat to get coaching on as well.

(Plus.....I'd be just genuinely curious to see how far that experienced Bill Burke gentleman could get an "ideally set up" 2WD van (aired down, rear locker engaged) on the same routes/courses that they run for the 4WD class......)
Having run a lot of 2wd, you could probably do the entire route, but at what cost in body damage/broken bits

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
NavyNuke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4x4, burke, class, training, trip