Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2019, 03:35 PM   #11

Drove the Kebler pass and really hit the fall Aspen colors nicely on the way to Crested Butte from Carbondale, such a pretty drive really none of the pictures we took do it justice. CB is one of my favorite CO towns, but we realized that with our kids’ age, the things we like about it (hiking and mountain biking) were going to be pretty tough to do. So we only stayed one night at the Oh Be Joyful campground, again right next to the stream (we got to drive across the river, made me feel pretty manly). I did discover that our little 13y/o beagle, Buddy is apparently a cattle dog – while on a little hike, we ran into about half dozen cattle grazing, and he went nuts and started barking and chasing after them. Before we knew it he had gathered them all into a tight circle, barking and running around them. Thought for sure that was the end of little buddy I figured he would get trampled!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6763.jpg   IMG_6913.jpg   IMG_6920.jpg   IMG_6861.jpg  

ndubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 03:41 PM   #12

Last CO stop was Telluride, my favorite CO town no matter the season. We decided to stay at a hotel though as it was the end of our trip and the kids really wanted to go swimming after the pool in Manitou was closed for the season. Enjoyed some time biking up to Bridal Veil falls, riding the gondola, and admiring the beautiful fall colors. The drive out on the way to Delores was really really beautiful this time of year. Makes me want to go live on a ranch out there I’m sure it’s really relaxing work (sarcasm).
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5367.jpg   IMG_5356.jpg   IMG_6972.jpg   IMG_5354.jpg   IMG_6966.jpg  

IMG_6942.jpg   IMG_6923.jpg  
Old 10-07-2019, 03:47 PM   #13

Final part of our journey was through Northern AZ, had planned to possibly stay in Flagstaff for a night or two but decided to head to Prescott via Williams. We have a small cabin in Prescott and frankly we were ready to have some walls between us and the little guy - he has these night terrors, probably dreaming about fighting with his sister over a toy - but it made getting a solid night's sleep pretty difficult throughout the trip. On the way to Prescott we made a stop at the Grand Canyon Deer Farm where the kids got to pet and feed more deer than they could have ever dreamed of.

That's the end! It's all about creating good memories for the kids, and I think in that regard was a resounding success. The time away from preschool and everything is also really good for our two kids, they fight too much at home which is the nature of their age I suppose, but on the road they see each other as playmates and get along much better. Have noticed an improvement in how they play together at home since we got back as well.

Van is down at Action Van in Mesa (not affiliated with the PNW one) as of this morning for some of the improvements I mentioned before. The Buckstop bumper won't be here until end of this month, very curious to see how that affects engine temps. I'll post here when I know.

Was this thread too long of a trip report? Just right? I haven't posted a long one like this before really, but feedback I got from our last trip was that people enjoy family trip reports so I hope it was worth the writeup.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5666.jpg   IMG_5645.jpg   IMG_5630.jpg  
Old 10-07-2019, 04:23 PM   #14

Not too long as far as I'm concerned. I enjoy reading and seeing pics from this type of trip report. Thanks!
YoTerryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:07 PM   #15

You almost can't do wrong on a trip report. Plenty of pix and info, creating envy amongst the readers, you got it covered.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:46 AM   #16

Great report! You are creating life-time memories for your little ones! Thanks for sharing - gives me some ideas of places to go.

Nancy
yonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:53 AM   #17
Site Team

Garage
Great to see people doing things like this with their kids. Fun for the children & a lifetime of memories for mom and dad.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:15 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
Great to see people doing things like this with their kids. Fun for the children & a lifetime of memories for mom and dad.
I absolutely agree.

I hope this isn't a downer, but when my Dad passed away at the beginning of this Summer and my brother gave the eulogy, my brother remarked how my Dad had instilled a spirit of adventure in him (and me) with our family camping trips when we were young. That really resonated with me.

Of course back then, we were unrestrained in the back end of a station wagon going up mountain roads, trying not to get car sick. I think kids in a van have it much better now.

It's not just the memories that your kids are absorbing, it's learning to embrace new experiences, getting out of their comfort zone, and creating stronger family bonds.

Herb
Old 10-09-2019, 05:38 AM   #19

Garage
Yeah, what they said. Great family trip and photos. Looks like an awesome time. Thanks for posting.

Condolences on your father Herb.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:45 AM   #20

Great report! Some of my favorite country. The drive from Telluride to Dolores is probably my favorite drive, anywhere.
Klompen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
6.0, colorado, diesel