Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2020, 11:44 AM   #1

Border closing US - Mexico

Hello,

i have a question concerning the border closure between Mexico and the US. I understood that travel from Mexico to the US is restricted, but is it possible to travel from the US to Mexico (Tijuana, Ciudad Juarez, Nuevo Laredo)?
Reason is that i have a van in the US which i have to bring to Mexico. It is not a leisure travel.

Does anyone know some agencies which could handle such a transport?

BR
Matthias

Matt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 12:08 PM   #2

I know for a fact that you can cross the border. My friends did it to go surfing 10 days ago. The border is less of a problem than the military check points once you get across. They produced some emails stating that they had property there they were going to visit and got through without issue.

If it is for work and you can prove it, there shouldn't be a problem. I don't know of any agency that offers help with this.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:47 PM   #3
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Border closing US - Mexico

We crossed back into the US from Baja several weeks ago, pretty sure it’s still open to US citizens returning. Although I believe they just extended the border restrictions going into Mexico/Baja for another month, till the end of June. What that means is, as mentioned, unless you reside or can prove you own a house or property down there, you might not be able to cross.
You might try calling a Mexican tow company, we just used these guys out of Mexicali after breaking down. There’s several numbers....
Gruas Express
Office 686-558-5070
Office 653-534-0441
Cell 686-113-7224
Cell 686-271-4612
Cell 653-114-5858
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:21 PM   #4

Thanks for the info. Since we can prove that we live in Mexico it should be feasible.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:17 PM   #5

This over on Expo today. It is from Discover Baja.

“U.S. and Mexican officials have decided to extend the temporary land border restrictions for another 30 days through June 22, 2020. The restrictions limit non-essential travel between the two countries via land ports of entry. U.S. citizens will still be allowed back into the U.S. from Mexico during this time. We are keeping our Road Conditions Page updated with the most current information about the temporary border restrictions.

The DBTC staff continues to work from home and remains at your service from 9am-5pm Monday-Friday via phone at 800-727-2252 or email at ask@discoverbaja.com. We can help with insurance, membership, FMMs, nautical FMMs, and boat TIPs.

Stay healthy,
The DBTC Staff”
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:47 AM   #6

We're getting ready to head down to our place in the San Felipe area pretty soon. We haven't been down since the beginning of the year, before COVID-19 hit. We've checked a number of sources, including this one:

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/05/20/...ad-coronavirus

We also talked to a couple of our neighbors down there who have been allowed to cross both ways. Only one of them had a little bit of an issue convincing the Mexico side that their purpose was legit. During the initial "inspection" it was perceived that based on the contents of their truck bed (ice chests, chairs, sun-shade, etc.) that they were headed down for "vacation". It was cleared up and they were allowed to enter when they spoke with a supervisor and explained why they were bringing these items with them.

I can't imagine that you will have an issue if you can prove you live there. Although, I would still bring a couple of forms of proof. We're bringing a copy of our lease agreement and a copy of our property tax receipt from last year, just in case...
Old 05-21-2020, 07:43 PM   #7

Hi thanks again. I will take my house rental contract , my Phonebill. my passport states the town I live in anyway.
I‘ll go for it.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:31 AM   #8

We just got back from our place in San Felipe. No problem crossing the border in Mexicali but got pulled over for not wearing masks in car! Luckily the wife is Mexican so no ticket/bribe. There was a city cop at the army checkpoint that asked us where we were going. We had papers ready but just talking was enough.
b190insd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:16 PM   #9

This has nothing to do with COVID-19, but the last few times we've gone down we've seen the Federal Police in the dark blue cars doing radar enforcement. They seem to hang out in the general area between the military check point and the turn off to the gold mine. That being said, last time we saw them, there were 2 working the area just north of the turn off to Campo Mosqueda.
Old 06-27-2020, 08:12 AM   #10

We brought our Van back to Mexico. There was no issue crossing the border at Laredo. Everything went smooth.