Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2011, 02:55 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta
BRRRR

Well not really. It didn't get much below 20F. I was hoping for single digits to really see how the SMB did in the winter:

Says it all. Stayed nice and toasty--too warm even. The Espar D4 had no trouble keeping the rig warm all night (see my award winning expose "Making Espar-Go" viewtopic.php?f=40&t=7577&p=72473#p72473). Kept it at 50F all night and even had 12.4V left on the battery in the morning--as long as the heater's glowplug wasn't on.

View from the penthouse:

Now I'm ready to install the tire chains and really try some back country fun.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:54 PM   #2

Re: BRRRR

We stayed in Blue River BC last winter for a week in our SMB and the lowest over night temp was -15 F and day time temps were always below zero. The Espar heater had no problem keep us warm and toasty (we kept the penthouse top down). I did have to take the door of the cabinet under the sink and leave the access to under the bed (EB 50) open to keep the plumbing from freezing. Also if you leave the porta-poti in the cabinet at those temps it will freeze to. The plus is the van was warmer inside than the cabin our friends were staying in which was only 60 F at best with the furnace running continuously.

Happy HOHO days
John
Old 12-23-2011, 08:42 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

Mine was a short trip so I didn't use the onboard water system figuring it would freeze. Kinda thinking what would happen if I moved the hot water heat exchanger from under the rig into the area below the sink. This would get most of the plumbing in the cabin where I could keep it warmer. I'd install a valve on the exchanger so it could be bypassed so's not to have a 200F heater in the rig in July. If I need hot water for a shower, just open the valve to heat the exchanger--quickly I would assume if the engine is fully warmed--then close it again when finished.

HMMM
Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:33 AM   #4

There is something deeply satisfying about low temperature SMB camping. Being able to step into and sleep in a warm environment is great.

I guess that is one advantage of an SMB's relatively small interior space.

R
Old 12-24-2011, 09:30 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage

I did an 8* trip to Yosemite. Really, that's cold for Yosemite. Rob, I also love the inclement weather and the rangers laughed when they saw me there. When Tom (Zeta) came out to my neck of the woods we both had the privilege of sitting under our awnings while the rain came down.

At my cold Yosemite trip, yep the pipes froze even when driving but nothing broke. Like Tom, the Espar kept me warm and I even slept up top with no insulation. OK it was slightly cooler up there but I was surprised.

I think multiple days in cold sub-freezing temps are what take a toll on the pipes. Never really done that!

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote