Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2011, 09:01 PM   #11

Re: camping info Zion To Mono Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyford
I just made a res at the Watchman campground in Zion there was only 4 spots left for Sunday and nothing for Monday. If we decide to stay I will check out the 1st come 1st serve spots with out hookups. I'm not sure the wife is going to go for super cold night its been a long winter here in Jackson and we are ready for warmth.

Thanks for all the info

Ron

You probably already know this, but..........this year has dumped the largest amount of snow since records began on Mammoth and surrounding areas. Well over 600 inches thus far.

So camping above 6500 feet or so may prove difficult.

Have fun.
R

Old 03-29-2011, 09:30 PM   #12
Site Team

Ron:

I doubt it will be cold when you get to Zion. The temperature yesterday was in the 70's in Zion and this Friday in Vegas it is expected to get into the 90's. The guy in the camp next to mine told me it had gotten down to 25 degrees a few nights before and that he was cold sleeping on the ground. I'm sure you will be fine in your Sportsmobile. Since I'm from Vegas I had on my long pants and flannel shirt while I was hiking in Zion on Monday. Most of the people there were in shorts and T-shirts. I think you will just need a sweatshirt in the evening and morning.

I hope the campsite you got at Watchman is a good one. Several of the sites in that campground are out in the open with absolutely no shade. At South Campground most of the campsites are in the trees. I purposely chose a site with no shade because I wanted the sun. But when it is hot, the non-shaded spots can be horrible. I'm sure you can check out and find a different site at South if you don't like the one you are in at Watchman. No matter what you will have a great time in Zion. And if you have a chance check out the other places I mentioned to you in my email.

Have a great time.

Mac
Old 03-29-2011, 11:28 PM   #13

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

Thanks again Mac for the email it was a big help. The site I got has trees I was on the phone and looking at the site with the lady.
70 might be to hot for me i better bring by blow up pool.

EMrider thanks for the heads up,
My house is at 6500 ft and and we are always ready for sudden weather change.

Ron
Old 03-30-2011, 09:44 AM   #14

Garage

You have a Sportsmobile. Skip the campgrounds at Zion. I camp on the way up to Gooseberry Mesa or on it. Very pretty and you can find a bit of isolation.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:58 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
You have a Sportsmobile. Skip the campgrounds at Zion. I camp on the way up to Gooseberry Mesa or on it. Very pretty and you can find a bit of isolation.
Normally I'd agree, but I'll be travelling with my 5 year old son, and my SMB does not have toilet facilities (though I do have a PETT). This trip is more or less a welcome-to-camping trip for my son, so I'll start off easy (campground), and if it goes well, I'll migrate to boondocking.

Herb
Old 03-30-2011, 10:09 AM   #16
Site Team

Your son will love Zion. Don't take him hiking on Angel's Landing or Observation Point (dropoff cliffs). But he will like the relatively easy hike to Emerald Pools and Weeping Rock and the very easy hike to Temple of Sinawava. And the mile-long tunnel on the Zion-Mount Carmel Road will also be fun for him. The Overlook Trail at the eastern end of the tunnel may be a nice hike. It has some dropoffs too, but you can keep an eye on your kid on that trail. If you do Geocaching I have a couple of caches in the area under the name of Boris and Natasha. My Rockville Overlook cache is a nice one. Also check out the Grafton ghost town. It only has a couple of buildings but the area is pretty and the cemetery interesting.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:21 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyford
I just made a res at the Watchman campground in Zion there was only 4 spots left for Sunday and nothing for Monday. If we decide to stay I will check out the 1st come 1st serve spots with out hookups. I'm not sure the wife is going to go for super cold night its been a long winter here in Jackson and we are ready for warmth.

Thanks for all the info

Ron
Just checked site availability at Watchman camground. The two only sites available when I'm going with electric hookups are first-come first-served, and I won't be getting there until early afternoon at best, so that doesn't look promising. I was looking at the tent sites, of which there are a number available, at it is specifically mentioned that pop-up camp trailers, camping vans, and pickup campers are not allowed at those sites. What the hell?

"No other types of camping equipment, including camper vans, pop-up campers, or cabover campers, are allowed in the tent only campsites."

Does South campground typically fill up, as it seems to be all first-come, first-served? No hookups, but I can live with that, and I can't find anything about vehicle restrictions for that campground. I would be arriving 8 May for three nights.

Herb
Old 04-01-2011, 09:26 AM   #18

South Campground frequently has space available. But, not always. And, we prefer to camp in that campground as opposed to Watchman.

Oh, BTW, South Campground is North of Watchman Campground. The original park campground was at the Grotto bus stop and is north of the current campgrounds.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #19
Site Team

If you are arriving on a weekday I wouldn't be too concerned about not finding a campsite in South Campground. There will be sites available. Even on the weekend you may be able to find a site in the early afternoon. But even if you can't, you may have to spend your first night in a primitive area (such as Gooseberry Mesa) outside Zion for the first night. By 9:00am the following day many of RVrs hit the road so a site will open up early. You will have a great time no matter what.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:32 AM   #20

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
I agree,
All though having never camped in or around Zion (only been there for quick day trips) for me camping at the Zion CG is a great starting point, my plan is to spend the day sunday riding the bus in and hiking out. Then monday heading to Gooseberry Mesa, for a day or 2 then over to Death Valley for 2 or 3 days then up to Lake Tahoe for some spring skiing since Jackson Hole Resort closes tomorrow. Im 2wd but the weather is good so Gooseberry and DV souldnt be a problem gets slick when wet.

Ron