Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2015, 11:02 AM   #1

Camping Northern New Mexico?

My dad is planning to go explore and camp in Northern New Mexico for about a week. 4x4 Pickup, boondocking preferred.

Rio Grande Del Norte, Carson National Forest, Kiowa National Grassland, or (especially) blm land around there.

This will be the first week of June, I won't be able to attend because my mother-in-law will be here.

Anyway, give me some good ideas of where to send him.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:50 PM   #2
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Re: Camping Northern New Mexico?

This is Goose Neck Canyon, a campground is at the top & where we are in pic…the other pic is at the top of plateau area…I will look over my notes to get the rt# but the road down to the canyon floor is listed as top ten 'scariest' roads…wasn't bad at all, just narrow and no 4x4 needed (though)…I think it is worth one night on your way to other BLM lands…. the Valley of the Gods isn't too far away, and that is another night to camp deep in that area on the dirt road…have fun and good luck!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Canyons 2009 378.jpg   Canyons 2009 365.jpg  
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 02:05 PM   #3
ctb

Garage

The road is called, "Mokee (or Moki) Dugway" and is exciting and offers great views all way down to the canyon floor…then its two lane paved with Gooseneck off to the right. Don't hesitate to drive back further and set up camp at the oven/sotve rock 'thing' It provides protection from the wind with could BLOW!!! Have fun….this site is a HUGE help in planning and exploring SMB rides!!!!

http://www.dangerousroads.org
Old 03-29-2015, 02:14 PM   #4

Muley Point on Cedar Ridge is indeed an awesome spot but I believe Jage was asking about northern New Mexico and not southern Utah. But certainly worth a detour. The hike down into the Goosenecks is pretty nice as well.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:42 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage

First, a caution. Have your dad check the fire status. June is when the USFS typically closes NM forests if the fire risk is too high. We have a decent snowpack this year so they may stay open.

I posted some Northern NM ideas a while back. I'll look for the post tomorrow. In the meantime, an area I first visited two years ago that I enjoyed a lot is the Cruces Basin Wilderness West of Hwy 285 at the Colorado border. Obviously, he can't 4-Wheel there but the country around it is fairly remote, the wilderness is pocket-sized and good for day hikes, and the scenery is fine.

More later.

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:20 AM   #6
ctb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
Muley Point on Cedar Ridge is indeed an awesome spot but I believe Jage was asking about northern New Mexico and not southern Utah. But certainly worth a detour. The hike down into the Goosenecks is pretty nice as well.
I know but I thought his bio said Colo and it would be on the way down…that area is beautiful isn't it? We are heading to southern New Mexico/Arizona in mid-april for a ten day circle back to Iowa…If you have any suggestions would love to hear! That goes for any other SMB'rs out there! thanks!
Old 03-30-2015, 07:36 AM   #7
Site Team

Garage

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7896&hilit=Red+river

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote