Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2011, 08:01 PM   #21

Re: Camping off road between Crater Lake and Bend

I plan to also camp at Crater Lake on the way to Yosemite on June 18th, and wonder what the weather would be like. Will I still see lots of snow in that time of the year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmgleason
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroySmith80
I have fun playing with maps... I'm sure most of you here do.

Here's directionsfrom crater lake to toketee

I haven't used Bing much, but i've been getting tired of google maps, not that good really. Mapquest and Bing both seem better in many respects. For serious duty, i have Topo! Garmin, and other software...

Troy.
We stayed at the hot springs. Weather was bad so we didn't hike to the springs.
Beautiful camping nearby. Hit Crater Lake this morning.
The weather broke just as we arrived.

ubergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:40 PM   #22

It can vary a lot from year to year. This year i would imagine that there will still be plenty of snow around. How deep was it when you were there Stephen?

It's gotta be several feet deep up there right now, and you're only talking about 2 1/2 weeks from now. Anything over 6,000' is going to be snow covered for at least another month i'd guess.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:51 PM   #23

We were at Crater Lake end of June last year. No snow but the mosquitos may carry your SMB away. I have NEVER seen soo many and have been all over, Alaska Included. Couldn't be outside and had to kill at least a hundred inside just getting in and out to set up camp. They weren't sooo bad during the day at the lake but the campground was horendous.

Beautiful place though.

Paul
Old 06-01-2011, 10:47 AM   #24

Paul,
Thanks for the info. I guess I will have to wait and see as it gets closer to the date. I do not like the idea of mosquito infestation especially with 3 kids.
For those who live in Oregon, what would be a good site to camp for a couple of nights on the way to Yosemite? I have 3 kids with me so state/national parks work great.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbonesclimber
We were at Crater Lake end of June last year. No snow but the mosquitos may carry your SMB away. I have NEVER seen soo many and have been all over, Alaska Included. Couldn't be outside and had to kill at least a hundred inside just getting in and out to set up camp. They weren't sooo bad during the day at the lake but the campground was horendous.

Beautiful place though.

Paul
Old 06-01-2011, 11:13 AM   #25

I'd still make plans to drive through Crater Lake North to South. It is worth the drive. They may not have hatched by then and not be too bad. Play it by ear. The First Hatch is always the worst. You could stop at lower elevations outside the Park where it is drier and less mosquitos. There is an OR State park at Goose Lake just outside Lakeview OR, Not much there but a place to stop. Then take 395 down to Yosemite. A nice drive, One of our favorites. Go in to Yosemite on 120 (it should be open by then). There is also Lassen in between. Most Nat parks are usually full now till Sept but get creative. The popular spots in Yosemite will be booked. There are some 1st come camps off 120.

Enjoy,

Paul
Old 06-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #26

Thanks Paul.We do have a site reservation from 6/19-24 so we are good there. It is just how we are going to get there, and where we are going to stay over night. Your suggestion is very helpful.