Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2016, 11:57 AM   #1

Canada, eh?

Oh boy, with gas prices what they are and the exchange rate I figure a very nice long tour up north might be in order next summer.

I've been all over BC and Southern AB, and all the way out the Transcanada to Nova Scotia, but wouldn't be averse to another cross country road trip, maybe dipping into areas around Quetico, or edging further north in places, although a left turn runs one out of road pretty quick. And I do hate black flies.

I'm also thinking of getting over to Newfoundland this time; ran out of days last time I was out there and couldn't swing the ferry connections. I'm also kinda interested in getting further north in Quebec this time.

Any suggestions?

Old 01-01-2016, 05:06 PM   #2

If you are going to Newfoundland, I would suggest driving through Labrador first. Stop at Manic 5 dam, visit the big underground hydroelectric plant in Churchill Falls. I've made the drive twice and Labrador is special and worth the trip. Newfoundland is also worth a couple of visits, once to see the east side and once to go around the west side.

See my trip reports on Labrador:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ead.php?t=6524

and Newfoundland:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ead.php?t=6550

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:12 AM   #3

Garage
It's definitely a good time to come visit us! If you want some real fun, pack up now and head up the ice road towards Norman Wells and Inuvik
ert01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ert01 View Post
It's definitely a good time to come visit us! If you want some real fun, pack up now and head up the ice road towards Norman Wells and Inuvik
Cute... He could probably get a reality show to fund that little jaunt.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau View Post
I'm also thinking of getting over to Newfoundland this time Any suggestions?
How about doing the TCAT? (the trans Canada Adventure trail) http://graveltravel.ca/

His site has all the info for a cross Canada trip by gravel road. Heck, if you can wait a year or two, I'll go along with ya. I plan to do it in 2017 or 2018

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:00 AM   #6
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
We did a trip several years ago up the east coast (needed those NE states to conclude our first 50 state completion) in our '06 MDX...no 4x4, but lots of great scenery, people, and fries with gravy....crossing into Canada at Calais, Maine we headed east with a Nova Scotia and eventually Prince Edward Island on our agenda. We stopped at the local seafood shop...Butlands (for real)...the gal there said Prince Edward had "lost its charm" over the years, as many tourists head there...she suggested to head up to Newfoundland for it is still full of charm and fun....she was heading up there in the upcoming week...we are always up for taking the advice of locals, so we headed up north to the Ferry port of Sydney Mines....we spent the night in Alma, New Brunswick and started to do some map scoping to see/mark some destinations we would want to hit (forgot to add that you really can't just drive up and get on the Ferry....i think, for security reasons and pure traffic, you need to plan ahead...we got lucky and were able to get on board the next day after our initial arrival at Sydney Mines...there were no rooms, or even shared sleeping rooms, but a seat /truck on the boat!)...first on the atlas I found was Blow Me Down Provincial Park and Cow Head north of there....Then, I found the Provincial Park, Dildo Run....well my wife wanted to go there right away, but we decided to make a northern run up to Cow Head then over to Dildo and then head to the southern/East big city of St. Johns. We made it to all those points and then past to the southern pt (not many roads to take, so we decided to make points important) So Chance Cove, southern point, then tuned around to head back the best decision we made (after locals said we HAD to go) was to go South to Burgeo on 480 before we had to make it back to our ferry reservation..."kilometers of white sand beaches," as it was described to us. Fantastic!! We decided to save Rt.'s 210/220 and 360-61-61, and North of Arches Provincial Park, VIKING ruins for "next time" ....we made it back to our Ferry reservation and back to Sydney Mines. One of the best decisions we made after that was to head North to Perce', Quebec, and on to Gaspe "Parc National De Forillon" or the National park there....I wanted to see where the St. Lawrence Seaway was (beginning/entrance to the Great Lakes....always saw it on maps as a kid and have always been intrigued!) Spent some great nights through that areas before we rounded the bend and headed back home (to USA) via Mont Jolie south to Woodstock and crossed back in....I will look for some pics...very fun trip and the people of Newfoundland (not Gaspe per say, they were those stuck up French-Canadian types who didn't appreciate us or our English questions!) I'd say do Newfoundland, and make it your main objective! We covered most of the island in five days...but that was drive, camp, sleep, drive camp, sleep....next time we'll take a few extra days...but...go there for sure!! I found it interesting that almost ALL of the cafe's we hit had fries with gravy as a mainstay, and 'savory dressing' as a topping...so good...lots of fried fish too...I can't stress enough how incredibly nice the people of New Foundling are...We want to go back soon!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:20 AM   #7
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
I found some great pics, but have to figure out how to load them....they want my URL or something...I am techno-challenged and will have to figure this out...
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:56 PM   #8

Thanks for the help guys. Newfoundland is definitely gonna be on the agenda.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:55 PM   #9

Dildo Run. For realz?
Old 01-07-2016, 02:43 PM   #10

Hi,

Dildo Run is for real. So is Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump in Alberta. It's a Unesco world heritage site. You really should have done less SMB daydreaming and paid more attention in geography class... ;-)

Regards,

Gavin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk