Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2022, 10:26 AM   #1

Canyonlands - Needles & Maze Districts

My wife & I and another couple in a Jeep Wrangler (with trailer in the Maze District) wrapped up a couple weeks in Utah. Fun trip except for the insane winds that accompanied us for most of the second week.

Instead of regurgitating my blog post here I'll just point you to it for the read and video link.

If interested in raw GoPro & phone videos I uploaded some to YouTube.

I was anxious to do Needles District for Elephant Hill and the squeeze portion. The only other van I'm aware of to do this was Badger (remember him). While Elephant Hill is definitely steep and a bit narrow, it isn't really that technical. You can definitely expect some scrapes in the squeeze. If you attempt it, make sure the driver side of your van is "clean" (no ladders or other attachments) and I recommend bringing several lengths of 4x6 wood to prop up the driver side. After completing it and watching the video I think I would do a much better job if I do it again. I had no idea the passenger front tire was climbing the wall so much but there is a good size nub on the cliff wall that was a bit in my way (to put it mildly).

Having done the Maze and Island in the Sky Districts before I think I can now say that Needles is my favorite. All three are different though and should all be experienced.

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20220510_121231922.jpg  

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 03:01 PM   #2

Garage
Thoroughly enjoyed each of those videos Phil - a well spent & exciting hour!
Very well done (Video's and driving skills), and WOW on conquering the "squeeze"... I'd venture to guess you had to contend with some major reservation as you entered.
I have to ask; Did you even air down for those trails? From what I viewed, looks like the tires had at least 50psi if not more...just curious.
Old 05-28-2022, 05:41 PM   #3

Thanks AWOL! As I entered the squeeze I thought it didn't look too bad until I got into it. I had periods of wondering if I was going to make it through. Options to turn back are nil (plus I had a vehicle waiting behind me to get through).

My tires were down to around 40 psi I think but I agree they don't look that low in the videos.

Old 05-31-2022, 02:05 PM   #4

Awesome videos and photos Phil!
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 12:27 PM   #5

Well that answers my thoughts on ever going through there and it is not to try! Wow that was tight.
Old 06-01-2022, 01:29 PM   #6

Thanks for sharing! Impressively target oriented
E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 10:54 AM   #7

Looks like fun, but what's up with all the wind this year???

We were in the Needles district in April in the Needles campground (hiking, we are not off-road equipped) and Devil's Garden in Arches with similar incredible winds. One night in Arches it was forecasted (and felt) like 60 MPH+. We just pointed out van's back towards the general wind direction to minimize shaking and watched all the folks in tents move to sleep in their cars!

The wind was all over Utah and intense driving East through Nebraska and Iowa (always a cross wind of course!)
joelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 02:48 PM   #8

Thanks for the nice comments everyone.

Joelm - After this visit I thought it would also be fun to backpack Needles. Some day ...

Old 06-09-2022, 11:46 PM   #9

Wow Phil. I agree with the others on your excellent trip report and driving skills. What size tires are you running? 35"?

We just got back from Moab and the White Rim Trail. Enjoyed the extra clearance having just ditched the factory running boards that come with the E350 passenger vans. I did get the Carr hoops steps installed with the quick removal hardware thanks to you, but like you I left them at home as it was an offroad related trip.
Old 06-10-2022, 08:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
Wow Phil. I agree with the others on your excellent trip report and driving skills. What size tires are you running? 35"?

We just got back from Moab and the White Rim Trail. Enjoyed the extra clearance having just ditched the factory running boards that come with the E350 passenger vans. I did get the Carr hoops steps installed with the quick removal hardware thanks to you, but like you I left them at home as it was an offroad related trip.
Thanks for the nice words Joe.

Yes, I have 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers which I absolutely love. I used to run Toyo M/T's and, while they were a little better in mud, they were worse in pretty much every other category. Glad the removable steps are working out. I left mine at home as, like you, I knew this trip would be a lot of 4wheeling. My wife REALLY missed them though. Next time we do a trip like this together I need to at least bring her passenger door step and just remove it before 4wheeling as needed.

The White Rim Trail is beautiful. What camps did you stay at? It was my initial introduction to Canyonlands back in 2009 and need to get my wife there sometime.