Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2007, 04:57 PM   #1

Chimera Inaugural Trip to Grand Canyon.

NOTE: I had to save my message without completing it, needed to take a break for work. I'll add text in a bit.

Day 1: Driving through LA, dealing with front airbag and leak in back. 17 hours.

Day 2: fixing airbag leak and water leak. Hanging out.

Day 3: Phoeniz to Marble canyon. Sonic drive through scare at Flagstaff. Storm at night. TV in the middle of nowhere.

http://local.live.com/?v=2&sp=Point....n___&encType=1

This is what having an SMB is all about.

Day 4: Marble Canyon to Tuweep, lunch at North Rim visitor's center.

http://local.live.com/?v=2&sp=Point....p___&encType=1

Day 5: Marble Canyon to Reno... almost.

Little Ale Le Inn
Cow Patrol
Line to the horizon.

Nothing.

Gazelles at sunset, near disaster.

Big rig fire near Hawthorne.

Day 6-7: Hawthorne to Reno, wrap up. Home to drop off the cat.

Day 8: Arnold, CA and the doobie brothers/Peter Frampton concert at ironstone vineyard.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:07 PM   #2

Garage
What a trip! That's a lot of information for me to take in at once. But I can't believe you took your cat on a weeklong camping trip! You certainly were not lonely. Too bad about the swingout latches. They always looked a bit lightweight to me. Now I know I must make custon latches. I already lock the two ends together in case the latch gives out. Did you ever need low range? Did you have issues filling the tank completely?
Old 09-10-2007, 09:33 PM   #3
Site Team

Buji,

Great trip report.

"Sonic drive through scare at Flagstaff" Did you have to air down just to get underneath a roof overhang?

So what exactly are you wearing on the one photo, Pink Floyd pants?

Too bad about the latch mount shearing off. It doesn't exactly inspire confidence, even though my tires are only about 33".

In the one pic of you airing back up, damn, those are some BIG tires you have. I think they're almost as tall as I am.

I love the pic of the wrecker with the flying saucer, or is that one of your satellite dishes that he has?

Lastly, what's the story on the gazelles? Did you almost have a roadside BBQ?

Herb
Old 09-10-2007, 11:03 PM   #4

I'm just gonna make a quick reply and then tomorrow I'll fill in all the details in the initial post.

First day back at work plus catching up on rss feeds makes for very tired eyes

The drive through was at a sonic where I thought I ripped the dish unit off via the overhead cover. It sure didn't look that high but once under the lid it sounded BAD. it was just my cb antenna plus the lightweight tin of the overhang.

Those are my pink floyd pajamas. I have short pajamas too with the same pattern, got them at a mervyns and have been looking for more ever since. they are my favorites

yeah, something has to be done about the swing out latch, but aluminess sent me some stuff in the mail today to install and they're going to brainstorm a bit and get back to me tomorrow. I'm confident a permanent solution can be worked out, but I also don't wonder if a more permanent version of my safety cable isn't a bad idea. you do NOT want those things swinging out in traffic.

the stop at the Al 'le inn was a highlight for me, I've seen it in several documentaries, and the food was downright fantastic. I plan on going back that way to bryce canyon.

We almost hit a gazelle looking deer thing late at night on that mega straight road. they came out of nowhere in a family of about 10 or so and ran in front of the van, and then back and forth.

I never even engaged 4x4 except to test and verify, and then just once more leaving tuweep. It was difficult for me to test / verify without another 4x4er there to watch for wheel action. I did engage low on the exit of the second camp at tuweep (that's a bigger climb than it looks, and it looks like it's disemboweled a few other rigs) but that was more for control and trying to smooth the ride down for my passengers.

The cat has been on longer trips in the jeep (granted he was younger and we stayed in one place) but he LOVES going for trips. Obviously the dog does too

fyi - I use a really clever cat litter made from compressed sawdust. works better than any other cat litter that I've ever seen for sound and mess, and it's completely bio-disposable. It turns into regular sawdust when it gets wet.

I believe I was able to reliably get over 45 gallons in at a time with relatively low hassle. one of these days I'll let it get low low low and then I'll do a full fill. as soon as I get a diesel jerry can
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote