Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2017, 11:57 AM   #11

Garage
Thanks everyone.

Yeah, $150 is crazy. I'll put Cooper on the list with Monarch.

Plains are cool, especially when so used to different terrain in the East. The Rockies are awesome as 1der said. Love the mountains.

1der, you are a bit ahead of us. Sounds like you are having fun.

On the way to Wolf Creek

On Wolf Creek

Unfortunately my son fell on Alberta Face at Wolf Creek and hurt his shoulder so we are off the slopes for the rest of the day. We'll see how tomorrow goes. He is very experienced, but was pushing hard. The boy is fast these days. Me, on the other hand, I'm old and slow these days. Once upon a time I remember when I had to wait on him. Now it is the opposite of course. Even hurting his shoulder he still beat me down.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:26 PM   #12

Marret, hopefully your son recovers quickly and you get back to the slopes soon. I just started skiing in December, and am trying to get out as much as possible (though there isn't anything comparable in the mid-west, as you know).

I'm very glad you are enjoying the van and exploring Colorado in the winter with it. I went out there three times with it, but summer and fall only. The plains were interesting the first time, but mind-numbing thereafter!

Enjoy your trip and time with your son.
wish41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:33 PM   #13

Garage
Thanks wish41.

Totally agree on skiing in OH, KY, etc. WV isn't bad, but nothing like the Rockies and out west.

I've been across the plains many times, last summer as well. Does get mind-numbing, but still so different from my norm. This is my first time in CO during the winter.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:06 PM   #14

Killin me sittin in South Carolina. Sheesh!

If you can, please add a bit of detail on places you were able to stay in the van. When I first got my van a couple years ago in CO, I had trouble finding a ski resort that didn't chase off over-nighters. I was not aware that Copper allowed it in one lot - I thought the responses at the time were all negative on all of Summit County. I hope that my future will be back west of I-25.

Of course, my last two experiences at Copper resulted in each of my knees getting new ACLs, so that one is off my list forever...
2014 Ford RB
SMB 4x4
GrumpyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:55 PM   #15

Garage
Excellent question.

I'd like to know the answer to where you can stay in the van as well. Copper as mentioned. Taos is another per 1der and others. I haven't stayed in the van at a ski resort.

Outside of ski resorts, of course there are state and national forests/parks etc. Problem is some/many are closed during the winter so have to find the ones that are open and they are not necessarily close to skiing. Traveling south from Telluride on 145, I passed a parking area (term used loosely) where one could have stayed. There was a small class C in the lot when we drove by. This was within an hour of Tellride. This location must have been part of the San Juan National Forest.

That said, there are some campgrounds open here in South Fork. There were a few campgrounds open while traveling around, both in CO and on the way from KY. Many were closed. Not free, but a lot less than paying for lodging.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:11 AM   #16
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Ski Overnight Parking in Summit County, CO

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...2&share_type=t

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
RB "50" SMB
Quigley 4X4, Deaver's and RIP kit
CCV high profile pop top
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:26 PM   #17

Garage
Headed back to Wolf Creek today and drove to Monarch this afternoon. Powder was awesome, visibility not so much. Used 2wd up the mountain and 4wd down.

Van in the parking lot when we arrived

When we came back to the van after 4 hours

On the mountain

On the way down the mountain

On the way to Monarch

Old 02-19-2017, 05:47 PM   #18

I was on a mountain less than 30 miles away and it was just windy. Crazy Colorado weather!
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 03:52 PM   #19

Garage
Yeah, sure is crazy, both day to day and even short distances away.

Went to Monarch today. Great day. Snowed last night so there was fresh powder. We were on the mountain early so lots of opportunity for fresh tracks. Used 4wd going up the pass but the roads were dry going down in the afternoon.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:12 PM   #20

Garage
For anyone going to Monarch and wanting to camp, here are two possibilities below. Also, I don't know, but was wondering if Monarch would allow overnight parking in the lower lot area because when we left I saw a Class C parked there.

Hecla Junction is about 27 miles away off Hwy 285. See this site for info. No hookups, but available 365 days barring weather.
Colorado Parks & Wildlife - Camping

Heart of the Rockies Campground was on Hwy 50 about 10 miles from Monarch, just west a little west of the 285 junction. It said "shut" on the sign, but there were RVs. Might be worth asking, website says under new management.
Heart of the Rockies Campground & RV Park

One may be able to camp in the National Forests nearby as well.