Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2019, 01:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rionapo View Post
It takes me at least two days fro Abs to Tucson.

New to me as of last week: Cosmic Campground, the first International Dark Sky Sanctuary in the northern hemisphere. It's not on the short line to Tucson. Instead you head south on I-40, take a right at Socorro to US 60 (the first transcontinental road, according to some), drive past the VLA, turn left on NM 14, drive a while to Reserve (Catron County seat where all residents are -- or were -- required to own a gun by the county commission), turn right at the only street intersection, merge left on US 180 and turn into the campground at MM37+. We were there for the first quarter moon so it was quiet, I expect it gets busy around the new moon. It's the only campground I've visited with telescope pads. Admission is free.
Thanks for the info. We've pretty much locked in all of our shows and PR events now, so I can start to plan our days off. This "Dark Sky Sanctuary" sounds like exactly what we're looking for.

Old 10-31-2019, 02:18 AM   #12
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Colorado, NM, AZ trip around Thanksgiving

A stop at Ojo Caliente spring and spa in between Taos and Sante fe always helps cure those road trip aches. A bit spendy, but they do have camping available on site and the restaurant is really good. It’s the only hot springs in the world that has 4 different types of mineral water-lithia, iron, soda and arsenic

https://ojocaliente.ojospa.com/?gcli...ASAAEgIhNvD_Bw

Watch for freeze and ice conditions on Raton pass, as you may know. We drove that one night years ago at the end of December only to come over the pass to find numerous cars and pickups had slid off the road, many into the ditch, some of them already being tended to with flashing lights from cop, fire and ambulances as far as you could see. One pickup truck that we came upon had just flipped, we stopped to help the occupants out, thankfully they were just a bit shaken up. I realized when I stepped out of the van, there was a thick layer of black ice covering the entire highway! I immediately put it 4WD, and we slowly made our way till we could stop for the night, I guess it helps having an evenly distributed 10K pounds under your ass to help keep you on the road.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:19 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
A stop at Ojo Caliente spring and spa in between Taos and Sante fe always helps cure those road trip aches. A bit spendy, but they do have camping available on site and the restaurant is really good. It’s the only hot springs in the world that has 4 different types of mineral water-lithia, iron, soda and arsenic
Old 11-01-2019, 09:46 AM   #14
Site Team

Garage
Ojo Caliente spendy? Try Ten Thousand Waves. :-)

Back to Cosmic Campground. While it’s not an off-road destination short of place, it should be on everyone’s bucket list.

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 05:29 PM   #15

We started tour last Friday November 15th in Colorado Springs. We're in the Great Sand Dunes Area right now killing time until Wednesday when we head south to Taos. It's supposed to snow Wednesday and Thursday, so trying to determine if we should go South through CO 159 or if we should go I-25 South to NM-64. Forecast says 1-2 inch of snow in the morning with flurries the rest of the afternoon in the area. Keep in mind: our van is only RWD w/ no LSD or locker. It does have new M/S all terrain tires and snow chains though.

I attached a rough map of our route over the next month. Google doesn't let us put in every stop, but you get the idea. I've been taking photos, but don't really want to edit or go through them all right now. I'll post them up during our downtime Thanksgiving week. Let me just say, I'm glad there's only 2 of us in the band now and not 4 or 5. Falkor is perfect for what we're doing.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 9.42.30 PM.jpg  
Old 11-19-2019, 09:26 AM   #16
Site Team

Garage
I’m no authority on either of those routes but I’d take 159. Wunderground forecasts for San Luis, Alma & Cimarron all show snow on Wed and Thurs. Raton Pass on I-25 has a history of closing during storms and that route goes through multiple mountain passes as well as Cimarron’s canyon country. 159 is shorter and, IMO, routed through more favorable terrain. There may be others who have better info.

Good on you for the Cosmic choice. Hope you enjoy it.

-d-

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:00 PM   #17

Bing vs. Google maps waypoints

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVagabondMBA View Post
I attached a rough map of our route over the next month. Google doesn't let us put in every stop, but you get the idea.
Bing Maps allows up to 25 waypoints compared to Google's 10. Thought I'd mention that in case it helps.
YoTerryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:48 AM   #18

Well if you are in Riverside and night is falling you can plug in at my home for the night. If interested PM me I will give you the details. I have an extension cord always protruding from the dbl car garage or one from the two single door garages you can plug into even if I am not there.
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 09:04 PM   #19
Site Team

Garage
To bad you are not st George or Vegas bound I just spent the last few days up we’ll Gooseberry Mesa and little creek and now at red Clif state park that I do recommend you stay at.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 12:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoTerryh View Post
Bing Maps allows up to 25 waypoints compared to Google's 10. Thought I'd mention that in case it helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
Well if you are in Riverside and night is falling you can plug in at my home for the night. If interested PM me I will give you the details. I have an extension cord always protruding from the dbl car garage or one from the two single door garages you can plug into even if I am not there.
If I saw this in time I would've hit you up. We ended up staying with some friends in Wildomar on our way from SD to J Tree. Thanks for the invite!