Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2009, 07:49 PM   #11

Re: Colorado meetup

Are we doing organized or boondocking? Any 2wd attending?

I would definitly like to be in a group as opposed to scattered campsites, although I barely know anywhere and most of that is in the higher elevations.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:47 AM   #12
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Re: Colorado meetup

Not familiar with the area, so not sure what we'll find at the non-organized or boondock spots. the campground might also be easier to find. Plus they have "facilities" and the added bonus of being on a lake for some fishing with hiking and mountain bike trails around. I bet that we would have the place to ourselves and be able to gather at a few of the larger spots on an inside ring so we were all together. I will stop by the parks and rec office to find out more, will post. I'll find out about some other potential spots that have some off road trails nearby as well. Anyone else have any preference or sugg. On what type or where we go?
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:45 PM   #13

Re: Colorado October Meetup '09

We went up there and drove around on Sunday. The campground hosts were busy pulling up stakes as today is their last day. Campgrounds beyond loop C are now closed, and the fees are ½ price, so $14 for electric sites. The only other sites are walk in tent sites. All water will be off, and there will be no trash pickup.

Other than that they weren't very helpful, although they felt the campground would be fairly busy if that weekend turns out to be nice.

We drove a big loop around up to Lost Lake and then out West and down. The roads are all majorly graded, mostly gravel, and the levels of maintenance vary in the winter. Some could be really interesting if it rains or snows, but largely it was just a scenic drive. Lost Lake is neat, but there is very little room for vehicles at the campsite on the lake.

About 8 miles from Dowdy there are 8-10 stone fire rings near the road, down little side two tracks, spaced over a few miles. Any one of these would make a nice small group site (4-6 vans) but there is not a lot around to look at or do.

South and West of the lakes we took CR-162 and 171 to loop around back to Cr-74e. 171 was good for some light wheeling (2wd light) but there were a ton of offshoots- I remember seeing 171-I among others. The whole area is littered with forest roads... pretty much like anywhere in CO.

From what I gather the whole area crosses in and out of National Forest, and there were plenty of residential (mountain residential anyway) communities, cattle guards, etc. I marked a few good looking campsites for the future, but nothing that would accomidated more than two vehicles.

It's a beautiful area and we're looking forward to caming up there... it's nice and close, a little over 2 hours from us. That said, I would rather go somewhere central or even Western slope that might be further from us, but get more people from Colorado to attend.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:33 PM   #14

How would Fruita or the Black Canyon at Gunnison work for everyone? Both will beautiful in late October, and plenty of Campsites, both organized or BLM land.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:05 PM   #15

Fruita is good!
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:41 PM   #16
REF

Jage, good scouting. We're game for just about anything. Anyone know some good 4X4 trails around Fruita, have to pull out the books.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
Old 09-30-2009, 06:50 PM   #17

We are game for just about anything too... We are heading to Moab the 9th through the 12th.
I am assuming everyone is working a full day on this Friday, correct?
We probably wouldn't hit Fruita until 10 or 11 Friday night.
COJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:57 PM   #18

Kim wants to go for Black Canyon in Gunnison... I've been meaning to ask Oldfart3 how the weather might be in 3 weeks.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:16 AM   #19
REF

It is now 14 deg in gunnison with avg temps this week at 60 and 25 at night. It is one of the coldest spots here in Colorado, if we want to be at all social and not be huddled in our vans with the heat cranked, I think a different location would be better at the end of oct. Unless we pick a spot on the front range or the western slope, it's tough to pick a spot at that time of year if we want good camping with trails nearby and not be too cold.

Another sugg. - what if we combined Colorado and Utah and meet in Moab, would be warmer than any spots Sugg. here. Any members here in Moab/Utah wanting to join forces with us coloradoans?
CCV High Profile Pop Top
Old 10-07-2009, 06:54 AM   #20

We're planning on going wherever it is, so unless somebody else speaks up my vote is 100% with whatever your call is Rick.... I think next year the Local Meetup Weekend is going to might move to September.

I do think Moab is a little far, but like I said we're planning to go wherever it is.