Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2021, 09:02 AM   #31

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell13 View Post
I was in Lake City four times last summer and every time it was packed to the gills. But I camped in a massive meadow at 11,500 between Lake City and Creed and had the entire thing to myself. One because it was so high the out-of-towners probably can't tolerate it and I think two because it wasn't something you can find on the internet. Look for roads that go way out without established campgrounds and you will find great stuff. Most people these days are tethered to their phones and if there's no Wi-Fi or cell service they refuse to go. I have some fantastic areas around canyonlands that I really love. The negative reviews all complain about a lack of cell and Wi-Fi service which is the whole reason you're supposed to be going out. I'm shocked at the price for a UTV for one day wow!
Yes, lack of cell and wifi is a plus for me. That said, being an inexperienced off-roader, I'm rather shy about hitting trails I'm not familiar with or haven't been posted on FunTreks or Trails Offroad. I've gotten in a bad fix a couple times in Arkansas and really don't want to fall off the side of a Colorado mountain.

I guess I need to research Gaia a little more (better).

Thank you!

Old 04-12-2021, 09:31 AM   #32

Roads not trails, like Forest service roads, there are tons of dirt roads that go 10 20 30 miles into the backcountry here. They are hard dirt roads unaffected by rain and no need for four-wheel drive whatsoever but they allow access into beautiful backcountry. My other van is a massive Turtle top with a Duramax diesel lift kit big tires rear locker and it will go anywhere these roads lead. Assuming you are self-contained and a boondocker the farther away you get from RV parks the better it gets here. For some reason this website is a real pain in the ass to post a picture but I can send you a few photos of places that are easy and you might see four people all day back there when it's busy.
bozwell13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:13 AM   #33

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell13 View Post
Roads not trails, like Forest service roads, there are tons of dirt roads that go 10 20 30 miles into the backcountry here. They are hard dirt roads unaffected by rain and no need for four-wheel drive whatsoever but they allow access into beautiful backcountry. My other van is a massive Turtle top with a Duramax diesel lift kit big tires rear locker and it will go anywhere these roads lead. Assuming you are self-contained and a boondocker the farther away you get from RV parks the better it gets here. For some reason this website is a real pain in the ass to post a picture but I can send you a few photos of places that are easy and you might see four people all day back there when it's busy.
Thank you! I'll look for those on my Gaia with the USFS 2016 layer.
Old 04-27-2021, 05:38 PM   #34
BC

Sportsmobile held one of their Rally's in Silverton several years ago. It was great, we camped up at Molas Lake, covered the Alpine Loop, went up to Clear Lake one day, and more. Sad to hear about the current state of the state on the Loop but also, not surprising. Have had to go farther and farther out just about everywhere we go these days to get away from the masses.

Fwiw on the last day several of us went over Imogene Pass somewhat in reverse of the normal passage, going from Ouray to Telluride. Posted here: :
BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 05:54 PM   #35

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC View Post
... on the last day several of us went over Imogene Pass somewhat in reverse of the normal passage, going from Ouray to Telluride.
Very cool video BC, thanks for posting. Looks to have been a very fun (and invigorating) trip - really enjoyed the end as you all paraded through town.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:35 PM   #36

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC View Post
Sportsmobile held one of their Rally's in Silverton several years ago. It was great, we camped up at Molas Lake, covered the Alpine Loop, went up to Clear Lake one day, and more. Sad to hear about the current state of the state on the Loop but also, not surprising. Have had to go farther and farther out just about everywhere we go these days to get away from the masses.

Fwiw on the last day several of us went over Imogene Pass somewhat in reverse of the normal passage, going from Ouray to Telluride. Posted here: :
I've seen a few past Sportsmobile rally videos on YouTube. Does Sportsmobile do this anymore. It would be cool of they had an off-road driving and recovery workshop.