Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2022, 10:45 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
A great loop to do over that time frame is to start in beaty Nevada. Go through Titus canyon and work yourself over to tea kettle junction and the race track. From there you can take Lippincott pass into saline valley and south to panamint valley. Keep going to balerat ghost town and on to barker ranch. You can jump back in over goler wash to warm springs road, certainly suggest camping in striped butte valley. From there you'll be back in death valley itself and can hit bad water basin and if slot canyons are your fancy, look up the sidewinder slots.

That will give you an amazing taste of what DVNP has to offer and there's hundreds of miles of dirt to explore if you like what you see.

Thank you! That is the route I need. I’ve been piecing it together and knew Beatty was my entry. One thing I want to add is the salt tram. I had no idea there was a failed tram also. This is going to be so fun.

Old 03-11-2022, 11:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandiesel View Post
Thank you! That is the route I need. I’ve been piecing it together and knew Beatty was my entry. One thing I want to add is the salt tram. I had no idea there was a failed tram also. This is going to be so fun.
I would do some homework on the goler wash area. I remember it being a bit tight in spots. Shouldn't have issues if you go slow. Good luck and have fun!
m3bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 12:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
I’ve done a few trips there with one of my drinkin buddies who I do a lot of off roading with. Two of the trips were with other SMB’s I met up with down there. The other trip reports are on my site’s on and off road adventures link located in my forum signature. Click on the link and skim through to what you’re looking for. But all my trips were done no later than early March so the weather might be a bit warm now. Hopefully you'll get into the bloom.

As far as easy travel enjoyment, Titus is well worth the drive. 20 mule train road is another one-way 2wd drive that is interesting. Artist Pallet is another easy drive but is often crowded. Best to go there when the sun helps produce the colors such as sunset or sunrise. I also suggest driving to and walking up Marble Canyon. The drive in there can get sandy at times. Camping around The Eye of the Needle used to be nice but they cut off some areas to dispersed camping. I have seen people just camp in the middle of nowhere. Plenty of that. On the technical end, Mengel Pass was fun even though I did it at night and couldn't see much. We camped at the geologist cabin which was a treat and the only time my buddy didn't have to use his tent during the trip.
The main thing is have fun. Plenty of places to explore.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...-3-a-2495.html

Dave, have you been down Lippencott in a wide vehicle like a 4x4 Econoline?

I've done it in a narrow Samurai, just wondering, at the time there werea couple tight spots were the road had partially washout out, and repaired, but looked super-tight. Just wondering
Old 03-11-2022, 01:06 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post

I've done it in a narrow Samurai, just wondering, at the time there werea couple tight spots were the road had partially washout out, and repaired, but looked super-tight. Just wondering
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo....html#post2634

Looks sketch to me. I'll pass.
Old 03-11-2022, 10:47 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post

No. Only camped at the racetrack. Like Mengel (goler), Lippincott can change depending the weather and time of year and the year we planned to do it the road was out. Never made it back. Look for Artic's post on Lippincott. I always wanted to do the hunters mountain route out of the tea kettle junction area, just never made it there.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 10:36 AM   #16
Site Team

Garage
There is a link to dangerous roads I put at the top of the trip report page. This might help you out:
https://www.dangerousroads.org/north...onal-park.html

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 05:02 PM   #17

Titus Canyon is a must do... Not as well know, but another beautiful canyon to drive through is Echo Canyon. There's an old abandoned mine at the top of the trail. It's also a good place to camp when the wind is blowing through the valley.
Old 03-12-2022, 05:21 PM   #18

Garage
Ok so I watched a couple youtube videos less than 6 months old where someone basically posted their go pro footage. Both Linnicot and Steel pass looked like nothing too special to me. I went up burnt knob on the magruder corridor in 2wd. That road is 2 foot sized boulder rock garden and super steep. Maybe my version of tough is different based on 40 years of 4 wheeling my willys jeep and various other 4x4s. Steel pass seems like the way to go to saline coming from Titus canyon entrance. I'm thinking I can make all those roads. The 3 steps are the only hard part and I guess if my long extendo butt drags its a no go. 12 inch lift seems like I have the clearance. Saline come and be a pilot car!
Old 03-12-2022, 07:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandiesel View Post
Ok so I watched a couple youtube videos less than 6 months old where someone basically posted their go pro footage. Both Linnicot and Steel pass looked like nothing too special to me. I went up burnt knob on the magruder corridor in 2wd. That road is 2 foot sized boulder rock garden and super steep. Maybe my version of tough is different based on 40 years of 4 wheeling my willys jeep and various other 4x4s. Steel pass seems like the way to go to saline coming from Titus canyon entrance. I'm thinking I can make all those roads. The 3 steps are the only hard part and I guess if my long extendo butt drags its a no go. 12 inch lift seems like I have the clearance. Saline come and be a pilot car!
Burnt knob has no shelf though so it is at least worthy to understand current conditions in DV regarding trail washouts. Still, I don't remember anything being concerning in DVNP. If you have that much experience then you should be able to either A, navigate lippencott or B. Have the ability to realize when to turn back.

Keep your eyes up, I didn't go this year but my friends did and got buzzed by a C17 and an F117 in Saline. Jealous.
m3bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 08:01 AM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
Burnt knob has no shelf though so it is at least worthy to understand current conditions in DV regarding trail washouts. Still, I don't remember anything being concerning in DVNP. If you have that much experience then you should be able to either A, navigate lippencott or B. Have the ability to realize when to turn back.

Keep your eyes up, I didn't go this year but my friends did and got buzzed by a C17 and an F117 in Saline. Jealous.
Thanks for the heads up. That shelf is the one thing I think can foil me. I have an extended van so the approach angle is not the best. July had that big rain as well. Should be fun to see it all. I've never been and honestly thought I'd be on a motorcycle the first time.