Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2022, 11:19 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandiesel View Post
Thanks for the heads up. That shelf is the one thing I think can foil me. I have an extended van so the approach angle is not the best. July had that big rain as well. Should be fun to see it all. I've never been and honestly thought I'd be on a motorcycle the first time.
Sorry, i may not be clear. Shelf refers to a shelf road, one cut into a mountain side with a big drop. I wasnt referencing a ledge where the approach/departure angles come into play. Below is Lippincott from the drivers seat of my Tacoma. I can't really comment on the size aspect of the Van on this road as ive only had a tacoma in DV.

m3bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 02:25 PM   #22

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. That shelf is the one thing I think can foil me. I have an extended van so the approach angle is not the best. July had that big rain as well. Should be fun to see it all. I've never been and honestly thought I'd be on a motorcycle the first time.
Dedecker Canyon (Steel Pass) steps were impacted by a weather event last year, probably the July rain you mentioned. Lots of gravel was washed away making the steps taller then usual.

I went up them (Eureka Dunes > Saline Valley diection) in November and they were definitely harder than past years. That was on a motorcycle, so not direct van experience. Since then I'm sure a lot of rocks have been restacked to make it easier. I'd advise checking for Youtube videos from late-2021 thru 2022.

I found Lippencott had pretty typical conditions.

I have aspirations to to both of them someday in my van (along with Mengel Pass) so will be keeping an eye out for your Trip Report.
Old 03-13-2022, 02:35 PM   #23
Site Team

Garage
Twice I've attempted Lippincott and both times the road was closed by the county. I guess they want to keep the less capable vehicles off the road at times. At the racetrack, a couple guys on dirt bikes came up Lippincott and I asked if my van would make it down but both guys suggested the wide stance of my van might be an issue. Without actually being able to access the road condition myself, I didn't feel comfortable and drove out the long washboard road we came in on. The bikers did think a Jeep would probably make it but that didn't satisfy me. Many of the more technical routes in DV can change year to year or in winter week to week and although the rangers will often say you can't make it, sometimes you can. With Steel pass (even though I've never done it), a friend did with his SMB but had to negotiate a narrow section where his rims were scuffed due to that gate keeper being a bit narrow. Smaller 4x4 vehicles had no problems at all. I don't know the status of that route or if it has changed though. Overall he claimed the rest of the route was well within the capability of an properly equipped van. I did find Mengel (Goler wash) had a few spots where departure angles were a concern with my extended body van but as posted it wasn't a problem for my van even though a couple of rangers suggested I could not make it. In fact 3 of us in SMB's made it with no problems. Echo is similar where just beyond the Eye Of The Needle there is a dry fall to negotiate that a regular body van usually doesn't have as much of a problem as my EB might. I didn't mind trying to go up the dry fall but being we didn't know what the trail condition was beyond, I was more worried our timing and having to travel down the wash at dark.
Attached Thumbnails
DV 2008-2 152.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 05:00 PM   #24

Garage
Thanks Dave. It does make it easier to just plan around and not even worry about. Since I’ve never been I won’t know what I’m missing or how long the route got extended. All good. I’ll report back. Anyway I thought you guys would like this pic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2022-03-13-16:00:29-058.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	43228
Old 03-13-2022, 05:32 PM   #25

Quote:
Thanks Dave. It does make it easier to just plan around and not even worry about. Since I’ve never been I won’t know what I’m missing or how long the route got extended. All good. I’ll report back. Anyway I thought you guys would like this pic.

Attachment 43228
That is a lot of wood! be sure to mind DVNP's campfire policy

Also, here is a video from Lippincott from very recent. @ 22 minutes in.
https://youtu.be/4IPG9_IoJ6g
m3bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 12:23 AM   #26
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
That is a lot of wood! be sure to mind DVNP's campfire policy

Yeah their campfire rules looked like they have changed to campgrounds only. My guess is a propane fire pit would be OK in the backcountry but not sure.

Also If you're passing through a state line check point you might want to call ahead to see what they say. A few years back I was stopped at a Nevada/California check station and noticed a huge pile of firewood. I asked why the wood pile and was told it was confiscated from campers mainly. I'd never heard of that. I just told them I didn't have firewood or any fruit. At least they never asked for me to open my fridge or where my firewood was stashed

What are your inspectors looking for?

Our inspectors check vehicles and commodities for compliance with California and federal plant quarantine regulations. They also check commodities to make sure they are free from exotic invasive species that may be hitchhiking with them. Although the primary focus is on plant materials (i.e., fruits, vegetables, nursery stock, hay, firewood, etc.), other items are also frequently inspected.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 01:21 PM   #27

I checked with the ranger station before our last trip to DV in October & propane fire pits were the only type allowed in the backcountry areas. They said no to an off the ground wood/charcoal fire pit. I was told that the key is you have to be able to instantly turn off the fire/flame source in order for it to be legal.
Old 03-14-2022, 01:25 PM   #28

Garage
I unloaded the wood and threw in 5 gallons of propane for my fire pit. All good. No bikes either. I guess it will be death by hiking.
Old 03-14-2022, 05:32 PM   #29

Garage
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2022-03-14-16:32:24-439.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	43233
Gonna hurt bad.
Old 03-14-2022, 06:33 PM   #30

I hear ya. I'm headed to Beaverton in a couple of weeks. At 10 mpg, over 2,000 miles RT, and gas pushing over $7 a gallon by then, it's gonna be a costly ride...