Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2022, 09:17 PM   #1

Garage
Death Valley the week of March 14th 2022

I know super late notice but anyone planning on being there? I’m starting to put together a route based on may trip reports. This is my first venture there. Would love any guidance based on all the recent pandemic stuff going on.

Old 03-08-2022, 09:06 AM   #2

I just returned from a week in DV. Weather was great for most of the trip. You'll have a great time!

FYI - Diesel at Furnace Creek was the ~ $7.70/gal (don't recall exactly). Since I did a run down Titus Canyon I filled up in Beatty for under $5./gal. I'm sure it's higher now but if you have a choice do your fill up in Beatty if in the area.

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 09:13 AM   #3

Ouch! I was just filling up this morning and thought, as I often do when I pay too much for fuel, "wonder what it's up to at that gas station at Furnace Creek?"

I paid 4.80 for diesel this morning in TN. It was 4.10 at the same station yesterday.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 11:29 AM   #4

Hey vandiesel

We‘ve been there 2 years ago when my 2WD has not received any upgrades beside my Falken‘s :-)

Here‘s an overview, can provide gpx if you‘d like.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0840.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	43176

Started at Panamint Springs Campground

Name:	IMG_0833.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	43177

Name:	IMG_0832.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	43178

Saline Valley Road

Name:	IMG_0834.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	43179

Eureka Dunes

Name:	IMG_0837.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	43180

Titus Canyon (no issue with 2WD!)

Name:	IMG_0838.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	43181

We didn‘t do Lippincott due to 2WD with stock suspension

Today… locker and lifted… I think I‘d give it a try :-D

You‘ll see a lot of washboards, so strap everything down :-)
E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 07:46 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-350 View Post
Hey vandiesel

We‘ve been there 2 years ago when my 2WD has not received any upgrades beside my Falken‘s :-)

Here‘s an overview, can provide gpx if you‘d like.
Attachment 43176

Started at Panamint Springs Campground
Attachment 43177
Attachment 43178

Saline Valley Road
Attachment 43179

Eureka Dunes
Attachment 43180

Titus Canyon (no issue with 2WD!)
Attachment 43181

We didn‘t do Lippincott due to 2WD with stock suspension

Today… locker and lifted… I think I‘d give it a try :-D

You‘ll see a lot of washboards, so strap everything down :-)
The GPX file would be amazing. Thanks so much. Looks like the route I had in my mind.
Old 03-08-2022, 07:53 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage
I’ve done a few trips there with one of my drinkin buddies who I do a lot of off roading with. Two of the trips were with other SMB’s I met up with down there. The other trip reports are on my site’s on and off road adventures link located in my forum signature. Click on the link and skim through to what you’re looking for. But all my trips were done no later than early March so the weather might be a bit warm now. Hopefully you'll get into the bloom.

As far as easy travel enjoyment, Titus is well worth the drive. 20 mule train road is another one-way 2wd drive that is interesting. Artist Pallet is another easy drive but is often crowded. Best to go there when the sun helps produce the colors such as sunset or sunrise. I also suggest driving to and walking up Marble Canyon. The drive in there can get sandy at times. Camping around The Eye of the Needle used to be nice but they cut off some areas to dispersed camping. I have seen people just camp in the middle of nowhere. Plenty of that. On the technical end, Mengel Pass was fun even though I did it at night and couldn't see much. We camped at the geologist cabin which was a treat and the only time my buddy didn't have to use his tent during the trip.
The main thing is have fun. Plenty of places to explore.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...-3-a-2495.html

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 03:16 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
I’ve done a few trips there with one of my drinkin buddies who I do a lot of off roading with. Two of the trips were with other SMB’s I met up with down there. The other trip reports are on my site’s on and off road adventures link located in my forum signature. Click on the link and skim through to what you’re looking for. But all my trips were done no later than early March so the weather might be a bit warm now. Hopefully you'll get into the bloom.

As far as easy travel enjoyment, Titus is well worth the drive. 20 mule train road is another one-way 2wd drive that is interesting. Artist Pallet is another easy drive but is often crowded. Best to go there when the sun helps produce the colors such as sunset or sunrise. I also suggest driving to and walking up Marble Canyon. The drive in there can get sandy at times. Camping around The Eye of the Needle used to be nice but they cut off some areas to dispersed camping. I have seen people just camp in the middle of nowhere. Plenty of that. On the technical end, Mengel Pass was fun even though I did it at night and couldn't see much. We camped at the geologist cabin which was a treat and the only time my buddy didn't have to use his tent during the trip.
The main thing is have fun. Plenty of places to explore.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...-3-a-2495.html
Thanks Dave and super helpful. Excited after my GIGANTIC front end rebuild and upgrade. I love this forum.
Old 03-09-2022, 07:40 PM   #8

How long do you have in the park? Do you want to spend more time in the truck or more time hiking> How close to civilization are you wanting to be?
m3bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 08:50 PM   #9

Garage
Death Valley the week of March 14th 2022

We plan on 5 days inside. Hate crowds and tourists. Have 4x4 with 12 inch lift, onboard air, winch, and decent experience. My buddy and I are both fit and I’m bring my mountain bike but leaving motos home. I like hiking around cool areas. We want to see the dunes for sure.
Old 03-10-2022, 09:17 PM   #10

A great loop to do over that time frame is to start in beaty Nevada. Go through Titus canyon and work yourself over to tea kettle junction and the race track. From there you can take Lippincott pass into saline valley and south to panamint valley. Keep going to balerat ghost town and on to barker ranch. You can jump back in over goler wash to warm springs road, certainly suggest camping in striped butte valley. From there you'll be back in death valley itself and can hit bad water basin and if slot canyons are your fancy, look up the sidewinder slots.

That will give you an amazing taste of what DVNP has to offer and there's hundreds of miles of dirt to explore if you like what you see.
m3bassman is offline   Reply With Quote