Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2007, 10:40 PM   #1

Denver Overnight Parking

I'm off shortly to rent a place in Denver. I'll be staying up to two weeks- planning to stealth boondock in the van, or park as much for free as I can.

I also need suggestions on where to get free wireless Internet.

As far as camping where I can camp:
-overnighters in "stealth" mode (where I won't get hassled)
-overnighters openly camping
-rv parks or other pluggable locations
-places to get away from the city

I plan to move around unless I find a fabulous spot. Finding free parking that isn't Walmart has always been a great shortcoming of mine, so any advice is welcome.

Places to grab a shower might not be too bad either

Old 11-29-2007, 11:33 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to lowracer
Flying J is a great truck stop for overnight RV parking. There are 3 within 100 miles of Denver.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:41 PM   #3

Not sure if you're coming through Grand Junction/ Fruita area but 19 rd (Fruita)at the base of the Bookcliffs has a nice campground thats empty this time of year. Nice views. Killer biking!
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 07:18 AM   #4

Re: Denver Overnight Parking

Jage;
You can park in any truckstop if You can abide the big rigs moving around at all hours.
Your SMB will go places we can't get with the TT and affords many more opportunities to park away from the Big Rigs.
We often stay at these on our "Winter Safari's", looking for a spot where we can put our slide out and sleep, dine, etc. in the TT.
We've never been hassled by cops, truckstop employees or others, [hookers, theives etc.].
We do make it a habit to ask although it ain't nessary, and usually buy something, [fuel, food, misc.].
One TA, [in Tucson] even allowed us to plug in when our batteries ran down.
Nice folks out there.
6.0L PSTD
Torqueshift
Voyager Roof
:q6:
kenkillsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 07:41 AM   #5

Grand Junction is a little out of the way as I'm coming up 25 on the way in. Sounds nice though. I might stay there on the way back from the forum rally.

Truckstops actually have been a standard for me while travelling, I'm a CB junkie (can't stand to drive without it) and if the parking lot is really packed sometimes I ask the truckers if anyone would mind, they've always been cool. The noisiest night I ever spent at a truckstop was because my watertank had gotten low and the pump was running all night. I moved around 6 times tring to get away from the noise!

But still the idling trucks can get old sometimes and I'm looking for something a little closer in, as I'll be hunting around town all day for housing, I don't really want to commute!
Old 11-30-2007, 11:45 PM   #6

There are some park-n-ride lots on the far west side of Denver/Golden right before you head up into the mountains on I-70. There is lots of parking but they fill up quick as many people park there overnight for the weekend to carpool up to the ski resorts. You could probably go slealth mode in the south lot but there has been reports of break-ins around these lots in the past if stuff is left out in the open. There is also some places where you can legitimately camp just south of Nederland (40 minutes to downtown) if the snow this weekend cooperates. Doesn't help with internet connectivity but its a start.

I'll continue brainstorming...
Old 12-01-2007, 09:22 AM   #7

Church parking lots are also usually very quiet and safe. I never considered this until a friend of mine who is a cop here in SB told me that most of the churches in town have informed the PD not to disturb (evict) people sleeping in vehicles in there parking lots. I think that if you were camping during the day they might ask you to leave but you should be fine to spend the night. I've done this several times without any incident.
Santa Barbara Ca
Jammyauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:42 PM   #8

I assume the Park and Rides are easy to find. Churches I never considered either. Hmmm.

Also, be specific when making suggestions. the last thing I need is to be driving around clueless as to where something is.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:44 PM   #9
Sam

Wal-Mart is good about overnight parking. They even encourage it for security & hope that you will come in the next day to purchase something. They even have a Rand McNally road map that shows where all Wal-Marts are located.
As for wireless internet, look for a Panera's. You can usually pick up a signal from outside. Like someone mention, Flying J sells internet service as well. Also, Fly J has an RV card that gives you a fuel discount ($.01). Something is better than nothing. Check grocery stores as well for internet service.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:58 PM   #10

Yeah I was pretty disappointed to find that Starbucks is now selling access and most businesses have it set up so the signal stops at the door, free or not.

I've heard that Best Western has no frills free Wifi although parking lot use may earn you different reactions from the local management.

Most libraries have it as well, but you usually have to go inside and they frown on pizza and beer.

As far as Denver, I found Cherry Creek State Park, which is a little weird as you can see city on all 4 sides, but they offer $22, $18 and $14 spots (Plus a $7 daily use fee). I was amazed when I booted up and they also have free WiFi.

I spent the first two nights at Wal-mart in Highlands Ranch but I needed a change and to get away from it all, so I'm in the park tonight.

It's pretty nice too, it was 60º when I set up and it's only down to 54.8º. I've the side doors open and it's just starting feel cool enough that I'm thinking of shutting them. It's 59.2º just inside the door.