Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2024, 09:18 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
If you knew the guy you were talking about, you’d know…..
1….AT don’t “chill”
2….There is no “stay put and enjoy”, especially when there’s a repair mission at hand, not an option
3…..I think he’s on his way home, if not already
4….I would not want to be the dealership that installed the transmission
X10 on each of those

Old 02-10-2024, 09:28 AM   #32

These guys have helped me out in the past, this harness is listed for a truck but you could either roll your own out of the connectors or give them a ring and see if they can build a van harness or sell you the ends you need.

https://www.ronfrancis.com/product/40

Without more details its tough to help too much.
https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/...ernal-1998-up/

https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/...ector-1998-up/
Big_ern_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 01:17 PM   #33

Thanks for all the good wishes and advice folks. I aborted my attempt at Alaska and made it back to base camp with no issues. Once the Canadian Ford tech flushed out all the oil from the connector, it began shifting normally. Knowing that the Ford warranty is no longer worth the paper it’s written on, I contacted a local transmission builder who is very familiar with the problem. He said parts are readily available and he can get me back on the road in less than a day. So, I’ll pay them to fix it and then try to get Ford to pay me back, but honestly, I expect them to fight me all the way to court, but I’m sure there are some consumer protection laws that will help.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 01:21 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_ern_101 View Post
These guys have helped me out in the past, this harness is listed for a truck but you could either roll your own out of the connectors or give them a ring and see if they can build a van harness or sell you the ends you need. ]
Thanks for the links. The builder I’m working with said parts are readily available. The issue with Ford is that they can’t install a non Ford manufactured part, so instead, have pretty much showed me the door with zero assistance despite being well within the warranty period.
Advanced 4wd
Old 02-11-2024, 05:45 AM   #35

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
The issue with Ford is that they can’t install a non Ford manufactured part, so instead, have pretty much showed me the door with zero assistance despite being well within the warranty period.
I was not aware the Dealer wasn’t allowed to install non-Ford parts…I’m guessing that’s up to the particular Dealerships since I’ve had numerous aftermarket part put on by different Dealers over the years I’ve owned my Van. High output alternator, aftermarket aluminum radiator (twice), couple BPD items, coolant filter, TBM rotors, and list goes on - all with no contest. Guess I should consider myself lucky.
Old 02-11-2024, 07:26 AM   #36
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
It seems it’s up to the individual dealership if they’ll agree to install aftermarket or customer supplied parts or not, usually they just wouldn’t be covered under any warranty if they were to fail…..It seems the same might apply to factory reman’d parts too
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 12:55 PM   #37

There is a significant difference between paying a dealer to install non-OEM parts (customer pay) and them using "sorry, these are not made any more" to weasel out of a warranty claim.
Big_ern_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 04:05 PM   #38

Dealers dislike warranty work because they get payed less than their normal shop rate from Ford, and they don’t make any of their normal markup on parts. The dealer in Prince George did far better charging me $250.00 for an hours work, including $25 for “shop supplies” ( some contact cleaner and a rag) By denying any warranty work, the mechanic was able to move on to the next much higher paying job. Still, I suspect that if the part was available from Ford they would have put it in, and they did get me in right away and found the problem, so I’m happy about that.
Advanced 4wd
Old 02-11-2024, 05:51 PM   #39

I agree with the people who have recommended you go home but there may be a one thing you can do to determine if the van will be drivable. There is a weak link in the Ford column shifter linkage. If you have the shop manual, go to the section for the column shifter. Go through the trouble shooting for the shift mechanism between the column and trans. If you do not have the shop manual and are uncomfortable with working under the dash, a Ford dealer in Canada should be able to fix it if that is where the problem lies. I have a brother in Kenai and traveled to AK. The trip up to Hanes Junction and Whitehorse is well worth the drive. At the time, Whitehorse had 6 brew houses. They produce some of the best ale I've had. The drive from Hanes Junction to Tok is a bit tedious. If you are still committed to driving to AK, head north to Dawson. The main roads are no longer made from rocks with sharp edges and points that can puncture a tire. They are paved. But if you want to drive on the dirt roads, remember to pressure wash under the van. Canadians put salt on their dirt roads in the winter. In the summer, the salt is kicked up onto the van and can cause some serious damage. Nevertheless, the Provincial Parks are often reached by a dirt road and generally within 40 miles of the main roads. There is a pressure washer just off the paved road a mile or two before you get to Dawson. After spending time in Dawson, take the ferry across the Yukon River and drive toward the town of Chicken. From the ridge top you can see wilderness in all directions. Make sure you look for subsidence of the roadway. If you hit the holes too hard, you can break stuff... Expensive stuff. Unless you travel west into the mountains, the road from Tok to Anchorage is like driving down a tunnel formed by two walls of pine trees. If you want to explore AK, fly to Anchorage and rent a car. Otherwise, enjoy BC and the Yukon. The region is fantastic. If you still feel compelled to travel to AK, make sure to carry an extra starter. If the alternator dies you can drive using the batteries but the alternator is not difficult to change. Just get the belt tension right. There are lots of places to camp along the way but if you stumble into some of the locals in the back woods, think about putting 10 miles between you and them. Some of the Alaskans who are settled in remote areas do so because they lack people skills. If you are camping in what they consider to be their domain leave. They make the rules. About 60 miles from Tok on the AK side of the border, we wanted to see how far we could travel into the coastal range. Found a campsite about 10 miles in. Went for a hike. Found an old building that had some kind of sign that indicated it was a business. Out of curiosity, we went in. It was simply a bar with 4 guys on bar stools drinking whatever. No groceries or other resources in the building. We said hi and asked if there was any place we could buy groceries. "Nope." was the only response the bar tender made. The other 4 looked back at us and exhibited the most intimidating and hostile look I've seen only on the faces of MMA combatants. The gesture was interpreted as a threat, so we quietly walked out the door and found another place to camp.
SierraHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 05:59 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanzila View Post
That was a very dumb thing to say. all cars break down. I have only been let down by the GMs i have owned.
I have 340,000 on my 2003 E350. I do not treat my van very well but it has gotten us through every kind of terrain and in temps that were -20F.
SierraHawk is offline   Reply With Quote