Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2013, 11:17 PM   #1

Eastern Sierra's advice needed please.

Hello,
Were looking for some advice for one or possibly a couple areas to camp this summer. We would like to jump off from the Bishop CA area if possible but not set in stone. Were just looking for some quiet relaxation and would like to find an area to camp a few days with the kids. Swimming is a must, creeks, lake or rivers all work just fine even a hot spring will work. Maybe some fishing, but quality time with the family is most important.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I should also mention Nevada would be a nice stopping point/route to take along the way to or from AZ.
Thank you
Tracey

Old 06-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #2

Re: Eastern Sierra's advice needed please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyAZ
Hello,
Were looking for some advice for one or possibly a couple areas to camp this summer. We would like to jump off from the Bishop CA area if possible but not set in stone. Were just looking for some quiet relaxation and would like to find an area to camp a few days with the kids. Swimming is a must, creeks, lake or rivers all work just fine even a hot spring will work. Maybe some fishing, but quality time with the family is most important.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I should also mention Nevada would be a nice stopping point/route to take along the way to or from AZ.
Thank you
Tracey
The rock creek area about 25-30 miles north of Bishop if one of our favorite places for camping, fishing and hiking. These are all USFS campsites, first come first served. By any standard, the scenery is incredible and the fishing/hiking is outstanding. Only problem during summer months can be the crowds, but that is mostly a weekend issue. Mid week should be fine.

If you want and are OK with going remote, head up into the Coyote Flats area about 10-12 miles northwest of Bishop. A google search should turn up lots of info with maps.

Farther north, I like the Green Creek area just south of Bridgeport. I'm probably heading up there for a day or two this weekend. If so, will report back on conditions. These are USFS and dispersed campsites. Remote and typically with great fishing.

Good luck

R
Old 06-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #3

I agree with R about the Rock Creek area. The further you go up the road, the better the campgrounds tend to be...the last couple before Rock Creek Lake have only a few sites and most of those are inaccessible to large RVs with generators. I'm guessing that the lake is too cold for swimming but I think you can rent boats from the Lodge and they have great pies for sale! They also have showers for rent.

You can also rent boats at June Lakes and I have seen kids playing in the water there. Camping is not as nice and more likely to be full at times.

If a campground is full, not to worry as there is a lot of boon-docking around Mammoth Lakes (and elsewhere...we just are more familiar with the area between Mammoth Lakes and June Lakes). If you find you need a place to just camp for the night, take Highway 395 north from Mammoth Lakes and turn left onto Owens Valley Road. While there is a FS campground down this road, it seems to be a favorite of those with off-road motorcycles but you can basically take any dirt road off of the paved road and find a place to camp.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #4

The whole June lake loop is very pretty and June Lake has a swim area by Oh Ridge cg but our favorite year after year is Silver lake at tge Northern end of the loop. We noticed boondockers on the edge of Grant lake but no facilities. I Silverlake cg is full then the Aerie Crag picinic area is a designated rv camp,no tenting. It has restroom and water with rush creek down below. BTW water is cold up there so swimming won't last long. Have fun.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #5

Not a lot of swimming around Bishop, unfortunately. Some small creeks to splash around in, and you'll find those up most canyons on the Sierra side. Four Jeffrey, for example, up the hill from Bishop. Some sites abut the creek. Some of the USFS campgrounds take reservations.

If you go up to the Mammoth Lakes are you'll find, well the Mammoth Lakes. Kinda cold for swimming, and I think only one allows it, but lots of camping and fishing. And it gets rather crowded. Ditto with Convict Lake.

Nearer Bishop and south you can find some places in the Owens River to take a dip, although it's never appealed to me much. And it's hotter in the floor of Owens Valley. Much further south near Lone Pine is Diaz Lake, which has swimming and camping. But it gets rather hot, but being from AZ it may not be a bother to you. I seem to recall they have hookups there if you need AC power, but I can't recall.

You asked about places on the way up; not sure where you're coming from, but from near Phoenix, Flag or Tucson you usually wouldn't hit NV. Off 40 I'd suggest East Mojave Preserve, and Joshua Tree off 10. Both get up a bit in elevation, so the higher parts can be acceptably cool for camping unless you hit a bit heat wave.