Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2016, 09:49 PM   #11
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
My pics "recalculated" after a short bit...I love that campground too...hottest night camping ever!! By the very early morning it finally got comfortable! Did you catch the Crows there? I saw (so for real!) a crow turn on the water faucet to drink and turn it off, and fly off. We didn't catch it on camera/video...BUT its actually is on youtube...search death valley crow drinks...I should re check before I spout off but...Great pics, reminds me we need to go back in the SMB...

ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:13 PM   #12
Site Team

Garage
They haven't been able to get this fixed yet and it might take a while. I do know that I've seen this post load quickly and slowly. I do know that if they're working on the site things slow down. This thread took almost 7 minutes before the last picture loaded...Kinda reminded me of dial-up.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:16 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage
Oh and Mac, your pics are bringing back the Forum meet you set up. That was a great trip.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:09 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
That's much better than snow.
^^^ just depends on where you grew up man, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw500a View Post
I don't know, looks nice but I got to ski 30+" of fresh powder at our local resort.
^^^ ill take the pow pow turns any day too!

while i used to have a pretty bad outlook on anything desert related. ive learned hanging around this site that there is such a thing as good desert camping. only recently did i find our local desert gems. nothing like what is pictured above, but still amazing none the less.

pix look amazing mac, thanks for sharing!

this specific post does take a while to upload for me (but worth it for the pix). once and a while other posts kinda jumble around then settle so you can read, but it definitely isnt instant like it used to be.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:55 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
I don't think the pic sizing is an admin issue. Its actually nice that the forum auto-sizes sizes things down a bit, but its the user that needs to upload pics that are manageable in size. The old forum required you to size the pics yourself otherwise they wouldn't upload.
When I downloaded the pictures they were sized and came out right. They are still right when I view the discussion thread. I don't know why they are coming out too large when others view the site.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:01 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
^^^ just depends on where you grew up man, lol.
I agree! I grew up with snow, then realized I didn't have to deal with it if I didn't want to, so moved to California!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:12 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcintire View Post
When I downloaded the pictures they were sized and came out right. They are still right when I view the discussion thread. I don't know why they are coming out too large when others view the site.
The issue is this.. you uploaded original files (as I'm sure you always have) which are 2988x5312 pixels. The forum resizes them to 337x600.

The problem is the forum is resizing them on page load, so the browser needs to download all 18 pictures in large format (at 5mb or more each), and then recalculate. It also appears that cache is not working perfectly, as I see the large images download again on page reload.

Many forums will either limit the size you are allowed to upload to a reasonable size, or automatically downsize the pictures to a reasonable size on upload.

As photos are so important to this site, we wouldn't want to 'lowest common denonimator' the pictures, but maybe they could only download the smaller size on page load, and then if a user wanted to look at the higher res version that would load on click. Or maybe they could resize on upload to a good quality size..
Old 01-26-2016, 09:14 AM   #18

Also, based on daveb's comment about it taking 7 minutes.. there also appears to be some other issue, as even 18 5mb pictures shouldn't take 7 minutes. But maybe the internet is slow down there in Turlock.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:30 PM   #19
Site Team

Garage
Yeah it depends on your speed for sure. I was on an air card when it took 7 min, but at home the pictures loaded is a 2-3 seconds. It does seem that this site degrades your pictures to a lesser quality than the old site did. I still resize prior to uploading