Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2016, 09:14 AM   #21

Great trip report, Wade. We spent about 2 weeks in the Escalante area this past spring and feel like we've barely scratched the surface. We had planned to paddle the Escalante River but with no snowpack we opted for hiking arches and slot canyons instead.

Now that we live in Durango we expect to be frequent visitors to southern Utah.

sbgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:13 AM   #22

Hey Bardo, I am in Durango too. SE UT is fantastic with so many places to go. The Golden Cathedral is another great hike off Hole in the Rock Road and the Egypt trailhead.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:16 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
Hey Bardo, I am in Durango too. SE UT is fantastic with so many places to go. The Golden Cathedral is another great hike off Hole in the Rock Road and the Egypt trailhead.
Hi eddyturn, hope to see you around town. We are a 2005 white E-250 SMB, currently with WA plates. I'll have to contact you for more info next time we head over to SE Utah. And if you're available for whitewater paddling or XC skiing, I'm retired and have more time than money!

Brad
sbgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 04:12 PM   #24

Here's a couple more pics from Capitol Reef

Visitor's Center

One Room School house in Fruita

Interior of the School House in Fruita
wadewaydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 08:00 AM   #25

Notom Road Camp

Notom Road Campsite

Not sure why but, I can't seem to edit my earlier posts to add more photos.... only the very last post on the thread....Admins?

Anyway this is pic of the campsite off Notom Road with a nice view of the Henrys.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:07 AM   #26

Escalante Loop Trip - Valley of the Gods

Escalante Loop Loop Trip - Valley of the Gods ( Last part )

The road that lied ahead brought us to another crazy road called the Moqui Dugway. Apparently it is listed as one of the world's most dangerous roads. It closely resembled the switchbacks of the Burr Trail. I might have been more terrified if I were in a huge motor home due to the hair pin corners. Otherwise the switchbacks of the Burr Trail were more sketchy. Cool stuff, though.

Moqui Dugway

Immediately at the bottom of the Moqui Dugway was the turn off for Valley of the Gods. I drove right past it, as the sign was facing the opposite direction, of course. I would consider Valley of the Gods to be the little brother of Monument Valley. It is a loop that is only 16 miles long and extends to Mexican Hat. It is full of neat rock formations, and at the beginning of the dirt road there is an interpretive sign that lists the so called names of the formations, and a small map depicting their locations. There is free camping there, as it is part of the BLM, but in recent years the available spots fill up early. We chose a spot near what was called Lady in a Tub, and from the back side it is exactly what it looked like. The sun was going down and the shadows getting long so it was one of the closest spots available.

Lady in a Tub

I took the opportunity to capture some sunset images. After a little dinner and campfire, we settled in this gorgeous area. Just as dusk had fallen I began to realize the 3/4 moon was beginning to become visible along with Venus. It was a large orb floating in a beautiful gradient blue sky, perfectly aligned with one of the famous monoliths, the so-called Lady in a Tub. I snapped images, as Kristi watched the moon slowly lower itself below the horizon. The light was such that I was able to capture some detail in the moon's shadow. The moon travels quickly and I had to find a shutter speed that froze the motion, and capture enough light to keep it from being blurry. We left the next morning during the sunrise, but I captured some more images on the way out.

Valley of the Gods

Valley of the Gods Camp

Only having spent one night in the Valley of the Gods, I was blessed with a spectacular display of light for the duration. My only regret was that we didn't spend another night there. We definitely will be back though.

This is last post on my trip report. There is a whole lot to do in that area and I can't wait to get back. I hope you enjoyed the report as much as I enjoyed living it...

Now it's your turn.....

Peace.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:13 PM   #27

Garage
Nice trip report, so much souvenirs...
Old 01-16-2017, 09:20 AM   #28

Regarding not finding those dinosaur tracks, I think I know the location you are talking about. They were actually reverse tracks, as I recall. We spent about an hour there, more than half of that was spent walking around, scrutinizing every slight mark or depression. In the end, they were found and even some long tracks, with what appeared to be tail drag marks. If I remember correctly, they weren't depressions, but actually raised bits on the rock, barely resembling what you would recognize as prints, because they've weathered a lot. Some were easier to imagine as prints than others, but once you recognize the gait, it became easier to follow the path.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:57 PM   #29

Wade,
I just finished the entire trip report, fantastic!
We first explored the whole area about 25 years ago, I just wish they hadn't make it a national monument, I'm convinced it just brings in a lot more people.
There is a fun route down from Cassidy Arch in Capitol Reef, if you like to go canyoneering. I have done this before and it's very good.
My favorite part of your trip reports is the photography though.
bad luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:44 PM   #30

Garage
Excellent trip report. Fantastic photos. Thanks for posting.