Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2021, 05:03 PM   #1

Exploring Southern Utah Episode 2, The Flint Trail

To get from the upper level of the Maze District of Canyonlands National Park to the lower level you need to traverse the Flint Trail. This is not a road for the faint of heart. It is steep, rough and very exposed with tight switchbacks.

In case any of you are wondering if it can be done in a van I would have to say yes with the caveat that you would need a minimum of a 4 inch lift and not be in a extended body. I was in my stock Jeep JKUR. There are three very high switchbacks. We did watch a full size pickup work its way up the trail. It needed to make multiple back and forth movements at each of the switchbacks.

The Flint Trail in Real Time

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 08:59 PM   #2

Thanks Larrie. The Maze district is unexplored territory for me.....and I can't wait to get to it.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 09:34 PM   #3

I did not get to explore the lower section at the base of Flint Trail. My Jeep does not have the clearance to do it. The road out to Hite from the base of the Trail more than made up for not getting out to the Doll House. That area will be covered in the next video.
Old 07-06-2021, 03:25 AM   #4

Garage
Thanks larrie. I haven’t been there yet either.
Old 07-06-2021, 01:41 PM   #5

Garage
Admittedly I skimmed through your video (about 14 minutes worth throughout) but enjoyed it. Very useful for others to see what they'll be up against while planning and preparing for the same trip.
*There should be a separate category on this forum for documented trop reports for specific trails/areas, with a mandated formula on how to label them (for consistency & organizational purposes to successfully compliment search "targets"). What would be even more useful is an interactive map that would produce "icons" (indicating trails & documented trip reports) when you zoom in on a specific area on a map, kind of like what Zillow uses for the real-estate market.
Larrie, all your reports would showcase well in such a environment.

Member unreg did a great job creating a custom map identifying "maintenance and repair" options...Maybe something similar ???
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ops-22644.html
(not a suggestion that he take on another project - although that would be fantastic - just using as a viable example)
Old 07-08-2021, 04:21 PM   #6

Garage
As long as people have gps coordinates or a way to find the trail, I can add a layer to the map for trip reports or trail locations.

The map has changed a lot...it has way more than auto repair shops.
I'll update the map thread with the suggestion.

Larrie has a few trip reports, so I can start with those.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:52 AM   #7

Great video. Thanks for sharing. It doesn't look so tight, the video is deceiving. The fact you had to multipoint some of the turns in a Jeep proves that out.

I would bet that you can do the lower section as well in a stock Rubicon. Stock Rubicons seem to handle all but the toughest rock trails.
rescuejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 01:31 PM   #8

Find your own adventure

Hi crew
Not that the maze maze is undiscovered but...Just a note to the damage done by posting gps coords and tracks to cool spots. The world is getting too flat. Whats the point? Those who seek adventure will have a better time if they research / discover it themselves anyhow
Dont make it any easier for the small % that dont appreciate the serenity and ruin it for others
Just sayn. Ive seen too much damage done and it gotten exponentially worse since the instascam / “look how cool i am cause of where Ive been” craze
Idamanzz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 10:26 PM   #9

I have similar concerns as Idamanzz101’s. All of my trip reports so far have been on well documented trails that many people know about and have traveled. There is also a social responsibility to not overwhelm the delicate environment that we want to enjoy. In addition you have to think about the safety of the route. Is is safe for a beginner to travel? Will an experienced person get cocky and make a mistake? I would hate to find out that someone was hurt or worse by following a track that could get them in trouble.

For example: We did a trip last week that I developed over the past year or so. The trip report will be coming out in August or September. I doubt I will ever share the track. There were to many log trucks, dump trucks, and logging equipment that we needed to dodge on the route. Working forests, both public and private, are not a place for overland trips.
Old 07-23-2021, 01:23 AM   #10
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
larrie!!!! Thanks for the vid and (as always) great advice...I doubt most folk on this Forum are going to "ruin" b/c of giving/getting routes/GPS info...I value it as a Member of this Forum...I've been to quite a few of the places the Members have been kind enough to relay info. and grown as a 4x4 driver and been to amazing places enjoying what Sporty can do... Knowing what to expect has helped us greatly....as for the knuckleheads that are even attempting most of the trips larrie, bronco hauler, artist, Scotty, Pschitt (where has that guy been lately?) suggest or trip report on, wouldn't make it the first few miles...lol....so larrie (again) thanks, and maybe I'll PM you on that logging road trip adventure...I have my CB and that always helps...like on the Dalton, you can hear em' coming...
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote