Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2021, 11:23 AM   #1

Exploring Southern Utah Episode 3, The Maze District

The Maze District of Canyonlands National Park is one of the most remote places in the U.S. The roads are a mix of dirt, gravel and slick rock. The views are stupendous and the campgrounds are just a patch of dirt.

The upper portion of the area can be reached from either Hanksville or Green River on reasonably good dirt/gravel roads. You can get to the lower section from the Hans Flat Ranger Station by dropping down the Flint Trail. Another option is taking Utah Highway 95 across the Colorado River a few miles northwest of Hite Outpost.

In a lifted 4x4 van you should be able to get to the upper section attractions, Cleopatras Chair, Panorama Point, a slot canyon and several campgrounds with no issues. Reservations are required for the campgrounds.

The road in from Hite Outpost to the start of the Maze District (33 miles 53 kilometers) has some amazing scenery and is in good shape. I would like to go back and explore this area some more. The only problem I see going in this way is that the campgrounds in the Maze District require reservations and you need to check in at the Hans Flat Ranger Station to get your camping permit. This means that you have to climb up the Flint Trail. You will be gaining 880 feet (268 meters) over 2.4 miles (3.9 kilometers). The trail is steep with tight switchbacks.

Written trip report and photos

Exploring Southern Utah Episode 3, The Maze District

Walls of Stone near Utah Highway 95

Starry Night at North Point Campground

View from Panorama Point

High Spur Campground

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 05:44 PM   #2

I visited the area a few years ago...but I did it the easy way. There is an excellent camping area in "The Cove" where I set up the van that is outside of the National Recreation Area and therefore not subject to requiring a camping permit and only a few miles from Hite Crossing. From there I checked out the Dollhouse and The Maze on my dirt bike - so much easier than pounding along at crawling speeds in the van.

At the end of the road overlooking the Maze:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Land of Standing Rocksr.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	40878