Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2014, 07:49 AM   #41
Site Team

Re: Expo East 2014 Asheville NC

$10/night ay Expo West. $10/night to camp in a large grass/dirt field with hundreds of other people and rigs. Precisely why I chose to make my camping reservations at a nearby Forest Service campground last go around. The difference might be because of the capacit of the camp area, or maybe there are no nearby alternatives?

http://www.overlandexpo.com/faq/#west

ExPo is a business pure and simple. Think of it as an outdoor shoppig mall with nothing but camping related stores, lots of really cool stuff, and really cool vehicles to look at.

I've been to ExPo West, and though I had a good time, I went with a specific agenda to pick up my Oz Tent, out of curiosity, and also at the time we were also undecided on which camp trailer we should go with, so it was a great opportunity to see all sorts of options over the course of a couple days. The savings on our Oz Tent also greatly subsidized my costs to attend.

I'd say unless it was really convenient, or if you were in the market for some specific high dollar gear, I personally wouldn't bother. Go camping with friends instead.

Disclaimer: I had no desire to attend any classes so I passed on all that (extra cost I believe), but it might fit the bill for someone.

Herb

Old 08-07-2014, 08:17 AM   #42

The way I read it is that the $35 covers Thurs-Sat nights. So it totals to $5 dollars more than $10 per night. The $30 to $55 daily access jump is a bit steep but that may be due to the overall venue cost. It could also be a crowd management strategy since only Sunday has a day pass option. Either way, it appears to be $30 more expensive for East then West for a similar package.

-John
Old 08-07-2014, 10:48 AM   #43

I didn't think $35 for three nights camping was that bad for this type of event. You aren't paying for a great campsite but rather for the "experience" and community, I guess. They do say they will have showers and port-a-potties, so there's that. And they probably have some money built in to restore the fields from tire ruts and all that if it rains or is otherwise muddy. Looking at the venue's website, I imagine it's not exactly a cheap place to rent for the weekend.

I'm hoping to come if I can find the time, but it's a fair drive from Pennsylvania and I'd be coming more just out of curiosity than any real need.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:27 PM   #44

The way I see it, I was going to pay $30 and now it looks like $90. I have no interest in driving Range Rovers and all that. I don't want to go to a seminar on how to lock in my hubs. My plan was to drive over on, say, a Saturday and check out a few vendors, camp a night, and check out a little more on Sunday, so 2 $10 day passes and one $10 primitive camp night. It would make sense to me to have folks pay for the nights they camp and the stuff they want to do. Now they are forcing everyone to pay for the whole event essentially. I have absolutely no interest in camping 4 nights and walking around for 4 days at a 1st year event which is basically a convention. One day sure, but 4 days?
It just rubs me the wrong way. The vendors pay ginormous prices and should easily cover the cost of renting the facility IMO. Do they want to grow and enhance the overland lifestyle or the glamping lifestyle? Overland to me is simple living, not paying to keep the ranch's lawn manicured. Sheesh.

OK, I'll bitch no more about this. I may be there. I may not.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:23 AM   #45

Still fence sitting. The schedule we have for both Sept and Oct is Crazy to say the least.

I was kinda with the mindset of Eric. 4 hour drive up, spend the afternoon browsing, camp that night and possible drive home after breakfast and more browsing.

Not sure if its already been posted in this thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... ight=worth

My Build Thread
SCBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:32 AM   #46

Here's my reply to the announcement of the over-priced weekend camping pass and Jonathan Hanson's reply, just FYI. I tried to be a little more concise and less bitchy than I was here before, though I still think it's a little much if you just want to camp, hang and browse the vendors a little. I certainly want to support and attend more things like this in the East but I don't want to pay any price to do it.

My post: Why not just a one night camping pass? Seems easy. Isn't this what is done at the west event? Seems to me you are locked in to only coming for one day (not easy if you don't live close to Asheville) or you are forced to pay $90 for camping one night and checking out the event any day but Sunday.

JH reply:
We decided to transition to a weekend pass in part because of persistent problems at the west show with attendees buying one-day passes and one day of camping and then staying all three days. Honest people who paid for all three days quite rightfully complained when they repeatedly saw the wrong color wrist bands, and we simply do not have the staff to adequately police it. The $55 ($95 for a family with kids free) weekend pass solves this, and for those who simply cannot afford all three days or who are new to the whole scene and just want a taste, the $10 Sunday pass is half the cost of the previous one-day passes.
The $35 camping fee includes four nights camping, so if you stay for the entire show that's less than the west show.
So you can only come Saturday, say, and it costs you $55? For that you have access to more activities, demos, films, and slide shows—not to mention vendors—than you could possibly take in. You have access to the Camel Trophy area where you could easily spend the entire day learning things. You have access to the Bushcraft area and its demos. Canoeing, fly fishing . . .
For Overland Experience attendees things have been ramped up as well, in particular the selection of advanced driving classes, and a suite of classes detailing the strengths and weaknesses of several modern expedition platforms. Graham has been having fits finding places for everything on the schedule. I think it's going to be an excellent first eastern show.

My reply to him:
Jonathan, though I see your point it just seems to have jumped quite a bit in price vs. what I expected previously. I do understand how it would be hard to police who's doing what and who paid for what. My concern was that I guess I do simply want a taste of the event, and I wasn't sure how big or worthwhile it would be being the first year there. It certainly looks like you guys are working to make it memorable. I'm still considering my options but thanks for the quick reply.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:06 AM   #47
Site Team

So the philosophy is, since we can't properly manage out event, we're going to assume everyone is guilty and therefore charge everyone more.

Care to place bets on what changes are coming to ExPo West next year?
Old 08-08-2014, 09:18 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
So the philosophy is, since we can't properly manage out event, we're going to assume everyone is guilty and therefore charge everyone more.
Isn't that the way of the world? Why should we expect this to be different?

Whether I agree or not is besides the point. It does have validity from their business perspective. Do you make your properly paying customers happy or those that break your rules? I don't see BestBuy letting me keep the iPad Air I decided to liberate. The contrary, the cost of liberated electronics is already built into all prices based on a actuarial projection.

Laws governing society heed to the same principle.

While we would like to meet other forum members and get to spend more time with you Eric, we understand your position.

-John
Old 08-08-2014, 09:51 AM   #49

Very good points John. I will attend in some form or another. It's a lot to spend for one, to me at least, to camp in a field. I'll be on the way to a week long vacation which isn't cheap. I don't love their modus operandi but I understand it. I would prefer they find a cheaper place to have the event, like a Fairgrounds somewhere, and why furnish showers etc. for an 'overland' event. Sure they ladies like em etc. but that's a big cost which is NOT going to be provided when people get out in the world.
And just fence the main part of the event. Seems pretty easy but I haven't seen the layout of the place firsthand. Like I said, I have concerns but I'll quit bitching and do my best to forward any info I find.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:21 AM   #50

Just to be clear, not that it's needed, I think it's a dumb thing for them to do.

I personally think an a la carte model is more conducive to achieving optimum attendance. After all, this is an event about and for Overlanders. The unfortunate model of late is punish all for the actions of a couple. When this comes to governing it really boils me over. I have a quote:

The greatness of a nation can be measured by how it impugns the rights of the masses based on the actions of two.

I'll step away from the microphone...

-John