Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 10:38 PM   #31

Re: Forum Rally 09 May 11-15th in Moab

As a Sportsmobile owner living in Moab since 1978 and having helped organize the 2 Rallies in Moab for Sportsmobile West I would be glad to help with the rally for May 11-15.
First of all we need to know how many vans will be participating in order to decide where to camp and then make reservations as soon as possible.
Do you want to camp in RV parks in Moab Valley or do you prefer primitive camping in the surrounding red rock country as we do? Do you want to stay in the same place every night or would you like to roam around? Camping in the Moab District of the BLM has become very restricted.
As it is to late to get a permit from the BLM we will not be able to charge for the event. Very familiar with all the trails in the Canyonlands I offer to take a group of 4x4 Sportsmobile every day on a different run.
In order to make this Forum Rally successful we need to get organized as we have only 25 days left.
So if you would like us to help, please lets hear from you all so that I can come back with a proposal that hopefully pleases everybody.
After some rain in the desert and snow in the LaSals over the weekend we had a great day in Moab.Together with my wife we had the best trip of 2009 on our ATV's across the slickrock on the "Fins & Things" trail.

Hans Weibel
Moab, Utah

PS: To get acquainted with the trips around Moab I highly recommend that you get the 2nd edition of Chuck Wells book "Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-wheel Drive Trails".

Old 04-14-2009, 10:32 AM   #32

haweibel, you have forgotten the Sportsmobile Creed: "I shall always provide flat parking in my yard, potable city water and 110 power to all SMB'rs that come to my way." Its in really small print in the owner's manual, in the back, somewhere... I think.

Wow kids, its pretty nice to have a local resource. Thanks haweibel!!
Old 04-14-2009, 11:07 PM   #33

For those of you that have had the pleasure of being on a trail in Utah or Colorado with Hans as the guide, know very well how knowledgeable and informative he is. Hans was instrumental in seeing to it that the SMB Rally's in his area were absolutely incredible experiences for those that attended. From helping to secure permits for trails and the land to "camp" on, he also has the experience to know which trails are "go" and which ones are "no go" at various times.

To truly experience what Moab has to offer, it takes a lot of planning and preparation if you really want a memorable adventure (which is the only way Hans likes to guide). I highly recommend contacting Hans to take him up on his offer to help. I have sent many SMB owners his way for individual tours throughout the years, and everyone that goes has nothing but praise for Hans and for his vast knowledge of the area. If you get really lucky, his wife Madeleine will accompany him, and you'll have twice the experience and knowledge guiding you!

For some insight into how much Hans and Madeleine enjoy showing off their "backyard", I want you to know that years ago when SMB West wanted to have a Rally in Moab, I called my friend of 20+ years and asked him if he could help a "little". The amount of work he did to help make the first, and following Rally's all a huge success, was done because he wanted to help a friend. He never asked for any payment for the enormous amount of time and resources he committed to ensure that everyone would have a good experience.

We're all fortunate for Hans to offer his assistance again, don't let the opportunity slip away!

John K.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:36 AM   #34

Here is a link I came across regarding campgrounds. Might prove helpful folks: http://www.utah.com/database/campgrounds/?id=678
Old 04-15-2009, 04:58 PM   #35

We are in, as it turns out we are playing in a volleyball tournament in Denver starting the evening of the 15th.

I went through the post and it looks like we have 10 rigs. Angel, myriadmyriad, MTBGary, marcp, winvest, yakhlr, cellularSTEVE, REF, haweibel & John & Dana.

Hans I for one would love to have your help in getting this trip put together. I have never been to Moab so a knowledgeable guide would be invaluable. We would also vote for avoiding RV style campgrounds after all that is why many of us have a 4x4 SMBs. I thing a good compromise between moving every day and staying in one place would be to stay two nights in one spot and then move to another for the next two nights. This way we could see some different places yet allow people who want hike, mountain bike, etc. to have time for those activities. This would also allow us to have the two wheel drive rigs camp with us but have some more challenging day runs for those of us with 4x4s.

I am happy to do whatever I can to make the trip a success.

John
Old 04-18-2009, 02:34 PM   #36
Site Team

Garage

I met Hans and his wife in June of last year. You have the best guide in the book to have on your trip. I'm going to do everything I can to attend but at this point work is holding me back and unless something changes I won't be able to make it.

Dave B

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
Old 04-20-2009, 11:50 AM   #37

Please reply to the Moab Role Call post if you are attending. Add one to the Vehicle Count above you.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:55 PM   #38

Send a message via MSN to susswein
Do I have to own a sportsmobile to attend?

I'd love to join you guys at the rally, but I don't own a "real" sportsmobile. I've got a 2001 ford E-350 with quigley 4wd, but I did my own interior conversion. I call it a "poor man's sportsmobile".

Steve
Old 04-22-2009, 05:53 PM   #39

Steve,

This is a "Sportsmobile Forum" rally and since you participate in the forum, I would say that you should come and join in the fun.

John
Old 04-22-2009, 06:03 PM   #40

Yes, unlike Sportsmobile Rally's you are more than welcome. Hell, we're even letting the used owners in...