Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2014, 10:33 PM   #111

Re: Get ready to get your BAJA on! 2/27/14 - 3/7/14

Hello everyone, my friend Mark suggested I post here to let you know about my upcoming Baja mega-adventure, and to beg for a ride. Mark has a really nice tan Sportsmobile with the 7.3 L engine. We have taken it to Baja several times, but he can't come this time.

OK, basically I'm going to ride my bike and packraft through the desert north of Bay of LA for a couple weeks and I need a ride down to that vicinity. I have a long trip report of it over at Baja Nomad forum:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthre...e=15#pid886387

I would have my fatbike, my bike trailer, and my gear which all goes on my bike, so it's not that much stuff. Plus 30 L of water in 1.5 L plastic bottles. I would ask to get dropped off somewhere along the BoLA road, or barring that at the junction with Highway 1, or barring that, anywhere south of San Felipe! I'll help with the gas and other expenses, and I can drive too!

Thanks in advance to anyone who might spare some space for me. If you give me a ride (from LA or San Diego) you can be part of my movie!

MarkBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:47 PM   #112

I just got back from my Baja trip. It'll take a while for me to go through my photos and put together a full trip report. I crossed the border at Mexicali, and started my trip camping south of San Felipe, camping on the sandy spit just south of Percebu, which can be accessed from the highway at (30.771, -114.7316). The new pavement now extends past Puertecitos south and stops just short of the Pemex (looked open) at the turnoff for Gonzaga Bay / Alfonsina's. The graded road continuing to Coco's Corner and then on to Highway 1 was in a bit worse condition than what I usually remember, but not difficult. Just bumpy. I aired my tires down to 2/3 normal pressure. I didn't visit Calamajué or San Borja this time.

I made it all the way down to Cabo and back.

Only Sportsmobiles I saw were 2 in Cabo San Lucas, one camped on Playa Requeson (Bahia Concepcion), and then two (in convoy) heading south on Highway 1.

As for insurance, I bought it from http://www.bajabound.com/ (I purchased liability coverage only.)

-- Geoff
Old 02-24-2014, 05:02 PM   #113

Been doing some research for the upcoming BAJA trip and can't find an insurance company that will cover even 50% of the value of the van. Tried all the names mentioned in previous threads. Any others out there that anyone can think of that have not been mentioned before.

Most have said Kelly or Nada value (which we know is very little) + 10,000-20,000 for options max and receipts are needed for the 10-20k. Then they depreciate from the receipts.

Even at that they all seemed unsure.

Should have started this research awhile ago....

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:29 PM   #114

What happens when you go through the quote/application process with Baja Bound? Do they require extra documentation other than your current USA insurance? I did end up going the liability-only route, but I first got a quote for collision. I selected $50,000 in the value drop-down. (I entered vehicle-type=RV, make=SPORTSMOBILE, value=$50,000).

-- Geoff
Old 02-24-2014, 07:36 PM   #115

Our current plan is to depart on Sat, Mar 1st, for 7 night run. If anyone else doing similar, perhaps PM me. I'd be curious if anyone leaving Thursday will be using HAM radio. If so, what frequency.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:21 PM   #116
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by loren85022
Our current plan is to depart on Sat, Mar 1st, for 7 night run. If anyone else doing similar, perhaps PM me. I'd be curious if anyone leaving Thursday will be using HAM radio. If so, what frequency.
FWIW, and I'm not saying right or wrong, but Mexico has it's own HAM radio licensing, and you're supposed to get a reciprocal license when operating there. Likelihood of getting in trouble should be low though, unless you trampled over any military frequencies.

Herb
Old 02-25-2014, 01:45 PM   #117

Update: Ramsey's contact at Mexus Insurance Services in Calexico at 760-357-8800 worked out to be the best coverage for my needs. They are offering a discount to other travelers in our group.

The 4-5 places I tried were all over the place in price and coverage. I got one quote at high as $850.00 for two weeks coverage.

My policy ended up at $377.00 for two weeks with as full coverage as I could get. Of course there is a 55 page disclaimer/exclusive document they sent but I feel about as good as I can about it now.

There is a bold line exclusion that you are not covered unless you are on a main paved or dirt road....

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:54 PM   #118

Just an FYI, regarding insurance. As I use to work in Mexico, it was often the case that a annual policy was not a whole lot more than a single trip. So if anybody is looking to make multiple trips in the same vehicle you might ask for an annual quote as well
Old 02-27-2014, 06:52 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywoodphotomaccom

There is a bold line exclusion that you are not covered unless you are on a main paved or dirt road....
A really good piece of advice as far as this goes - do not get yourself stuck in the sand below the high tide line.

Back in college I had a roommate almost loose his jeep this way and just now reading this quote realized his insurance would have been void.
Lowering the air pressure down to 5 psi eventually got him popped up on top of the sand, but he spent a long time with the hose on the underside of his jeep later trying to rinse away all of the salt water...
Old 03-02-2014, 04:30 PM   #120

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Too much sun! Too much fun!!!

I heard it was raining and snowing everywhere else - sucks to be you.

Fish tacos were so fresh (Halibut) they were jumping down our throats.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote