Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2010, 06:39 PM   #41

Re: Get Together Around Vegas/Southern Utah in September 2010?

Hi Chris,

I should double check with you on your route. It doesn't look like I will have enough time to head east out of Zion and come around to the meeting point, so I will be coming out of Zion and probably will try to cut through Rockville and connect with Utah 59 about 10 miles before the AZ border. Colorado City is not a good place to meet, it is a polygamist community and they don't like outsiders.

So, we could just meet at the UT/AZ border around 11. If no one shows by 12, head onto Toroweap?

While in Zion, I will try and contact the BLM Rangers and get a read on the road conditions.

Mike

2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:48 AM   #42
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

What activities other than overlook drives are planned at Toroweap? any 4WD trails to do? Water access? Fishing? Hiking trails?

Trying to figure out how we're spending our days while out there, want to fit in a little fishing at Lee's Ferry and see antelope canyon outside of Page before heading home if anyone wants to join us. We will be staying in Page tentatively on the 23-24 but these things can be accessed from GC too.

Looking forward to seeing everyone out there.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:04 AM   #43
Site Team

I'm back on for the Zion get together. My business trip got postponed until October. I won't be going to Toroweap however. I stopped at the BLM office in St George yesterday. They highly recommended I not try the dirt road to Toroweap with the tires I have on my 2x4 Sportsmobile. They suggest anyone going to Toroweap have two spare tires. I'm sure this is worse case scenario, but since I just put four new tires on my Suburban I'm not in the mood to buy any more tires.

The BLM said the best road to Toroweap is from near Pipe Springs, second best from near Colorado City/Hilldale and the worst is from St George. Of course the closet road to Zion is the Colorado City route. Apparently the road is pretty rough for the last five miles into Toroweap.

I just got back yesterday from camping at Lava Point in Zion for one night. There was a huge forest fire about five miles away. That meant I had the campground all to myself. It would have been beautiful and quiet were it not for the five helicopters and spotter plane flying back and forth overhead to put the fire out. They flew about 200 feet right over my head for eight hours. The first few times it was fun to watch, but after awhile it got old. I've posted pictures on my gallery if anyone is interested.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:06 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
What activities other than overlook drives are planned at Toroweap? any 4WD trails to do? Water access? Fishing? Hiking trails?
Looking forward to seeing everyone out there.
It is about 1/2 mile to the rim. You can drive, but I just hoof it.

There are several hikes in the area, see the site:

http://www.zionnational-park.com/toroweap.htm

Toroweap is about as remote as you can get in the lower 48 states. The remoteness and solitude is what keeps bringing me back.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Old 09-04-2010, 10:05 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350

Colorado City is not a good place to meet, it is a polygamist community and they don't like outsiders.
Just my 2 cents, but our experience in Colorado City was about the opposite. We found the people there very friendly to us "outsiders". (The fuel station in town let us fill up our water tanks.) Maybe we hit them on a good day.

In all the places we have been, the only place that treated us poorly was in my native California. A little s*#t-hole of a wide spot in the road called Essex (Hwy 40 on the South side of Mojave NP). There is a gas station there with a market that I have been dying to tell people to avoid. (Another item off the checklist.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcintire
They highly recommended I not try the dirt road to Toroweap with the tires I have on my 2x4 Sportsmobile. They suggest anyone going to Toroweap have two spare tires.
Again just my 2 cents, but I find the staff at the ranger stations "REALLY" fall on the conservative side when they make travel recommendations off the beaten path. Probably for good reason as this post points out. viewtopic.php?p=47032#p47032 But when were were there (two years ago) the only bad part of the road were two deep sand pits. At least half of the vehicles there were 2wd. Keep on track and you won't have any problem.

Have fun, wish we could join you.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:43 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie56

Again just my 2 cents, but I find the staff at the ranger stations "REALLY" fall on the conservative side when they make travel recommendations off the beaten path. Probably for good reason as this post points out. http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic. ... 032#p47032 But when were were there (two years ago) the only bad part of the road were two deep sand pits. At least half of the vehicles there were 2wd. Keep on track and you won't have any problem.

Have fun, wish we could join you.
I agree with Charlie

I've taken all three routes in and out and except for rain I've never seen any road conditions that couldn't be taken with a 2wd car. And no real hazards that will attack tires.

Just drive slow and watch the road.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Old 09-05-2010, 11:13 AM   #47

will miss you Girls
will be in Thailand last week of sept and first wk october
BOTH would rock

bw
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:33 PM   #48
Site Team

Thanks for the information Charlie and Mike. Now I have to decide whether to do Zion or Toroweep. Can't do both. Guess I'll flip a coin.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:44 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcintire
Thanks for the information Charlie and Mike. Now I have to decide whether to do Zion or Toroweep. Can't do both. Guess I'll flip a coin.
If you've never been to either, go for Zion. Much to see and do. Not to be missed. However, if you seen Zion (and I believe you have) then I'd go for Toroweap. It is a unique experience. Take it slow going in, and, if possible, go in with someone else. 20-30mph is not too bad. So it takes 2-3 hours to get in/out - spend enough time there to make the travel time very minor.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Old 09-05-2010, 05:30 PM   #50
Site Team

I've been to Zion a lot. I used to go there six or more times per year. Since I've never been to Toroweep I think I will go there. I'll come in on Monday and head out on Wednesday. I think that's when everyone else will be there. I'll come in from Colorado City. I think I'll load my Sportsmobile with extra gear just to be safe.

As a side note, just below Toroweep is Lava Falls. In 1996 my friend and I jet skied the Grand Canyon. To my knowledge we are the only people who have been stupid enough to ever try that. Jet skiing through (over) Lava Falls was by far the dumbest thing and scariest thing I've ever done. So, if anyone is interested in the story of the world's dumbest adventure, I'd be happy to tell the story when I get to Toroweep. Here's a teaser: one of my jet skies is still in the Grand Canyon.