Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2021, 08:28 AM   #11
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
PM sent, sorry folks, I’ll blame the wife on not allowing me to post intel on an open forum….just too many hidden gems out there getting overrun once the word is out.

CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:41 AM   #12

Well, not Glacier specifically, but as far as traditional thinking that off-season or before/after school is less crowded......

I was at Great Sand Dunes NP 3-weeks ago and it was PACKED even though weather was cold/rainy. Campground is booked virtually the entire summer. . BLM dispersed camping area 10-miles away was also very busy with over 50 tents/vans/etc. setup on side of hill. We returned to The Dunes early to hike - by the time we left around lunchtime, traffic at the entrance was backed-up over a half mile. Overflow parking was full by 10:30 AM. Rangers tell me Covid-push has greatly increased visitors. Not the relaxing visit I made 20-years ago......

My sense is that for the NPs, there is a new normal for visitors. If you want to camp inside the park, you definitely need a reservation and a Plan B (ours was the aforementioned BLM land, Mexican food in Alamosa, then a forest service campground about an hour away, which was empty).

Good luck - Glacier is close to my favorite park.

Peter
Weebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 09:03 AM   #13

We were going to do another XC van trip this summer but decided to skip it due to the horror stories of crowding. Heading to Maine and Acadia NP in a week or so and we’ll see how that goes.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 11:08 AM   #14

Garage
Brian, There is a fun campground just outside of Acadia NP (5 minutes), it sits on the water on an inlet. When low tide hits, the water recedes exposing the bottom and people go clamming. In the evening they have a deal with a small Seafood restaurant close by where you can order fresh Lobster and they'll deliver to you! It was a decadent two days for us!
I can see if I can locate the name if you are interested, but I'm sure you'll discover it for you Google "acadia campground, lobster delivered".
Love that area!
Old 06-03-2021, 02:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
We were going to do another XC van trip this summer but decided to skip it due to the horror stories of crowding. Heading to Maine and Acadia NP in a week or so and we’ll see how that goes.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 10:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtwister View Post
I am heading out to Montana for July and August. After reading the news about Glacier and how crowded it will be this summer I decided NOT to go there.

Instead I am going to the Bob Marshall Wilderness specifically The lower or southern end of Hungry Horse Reservoir to camp and fish the South fork of Flathead River as well as the Spotted Bear River.

Has anyone been out in this area fishing and camping? Any details or pertinent
information you can share?
Thanks,
jjtwister
Been there a fair amount. The Hungry Horse Reservoir is beautiful. The surrounding area is much like Glacier but not nearly as crowded.
There are many dispersed camp areas towards the south end. The east side is seems to have more areas.
The South Fork is pretty popular for fishing and rafting, so expect to see that.
The “Bob” is spectacular!! Get some good maps for the FS.
There can be issues with wildfires so I would pay attention to that prior to your trip.
fyrftr007 is offline   Reply With Quote