Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2015, 09:15 PM   #1

Glacier NP Questions

Planning a trip to Glacier next summer. Any advice on camping, [ are reservations needed?] Places to see, best time to go, etc.

Bob in Tucson
2003 Ford SMB 4WD V10 RB50

Old 11-04-2015, 11:40 PM   #2

Re: Glacier NP Questions

We went there last September and absolutely loved the place. We stayed at the Many Glacier campground and were very happy there. I believe that one is first come first serve but others were able to be reserved. We didn't have an issue getting a site but summer could be a different story.

I kept a blog on the trip & posts from Glacier can be found here. 9/13/14 would be the first day there.

https://nasalforest.wordpress.com/2014/09/page/2/
Old 11-05-2015, 06:35 AM   #3

Garage

^^^ that was a good trip report, thanks for sharing!
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:24 PM   #4

^yup
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:42 PM   #5

We went there this past July. We camped two days at Two Medicine campground. We camped one night outside the park and got into the park early Friday morning and got a campsite. We moved to a slightly nicer site on Saturday morning. After getting our site on Friday we drove up to Many Glaciers and hiked. On Sunday we drove over to the west side of the park and we're able to get a site at Apgar. All of this was while the big fire was going on and the camp grounds in St. Mary Valley were closed.
DesertSMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:03 AM   #6

We've been there twice and love Glacier. We prefer to stay on the west side for awhile and then move to the east side. On the west side you can reserve beforehand at Fish Creek, and it's a great and huge campground. I strongly recommend loop D, which has the lake on one side and a nice rushing creek by almost all the sites on the other side. It seems to be a little less crowded than the other loops. I had a hard time learning this but there are free showers in loop A, which is an easy walk through the woods from D. There are only 2 showers but we had hot water with no wait late at night, maybe 10ish. Also, if you have bikes, you can ride along the road and then hit a trail by some private cabins over to Apgar Village, where you'll find anything you need. When you get there, I strongly recommend driving in and parking at Apgar first anyway. The view from the shore by the boat rental will put a smile on your face whether you've just driven 5 miles or 5000. I've always wanted to stay at Apgar campground but it's been full and we haven't even driven through it.
Any campground without a reservation system is going to fill up by mid morning usually, so plan your daily activities accordingly. We like our routine of reserving first at Fish Creek so we can wind down and think about what we want to do for a day or two. Last time, on our last day there, we woke up early and drove over Logan pass to the Many Glacier side and were able to get a site even though we got there late, about noon. I recommend a little earlier. Just pass everything after the pass, go get your site, and come back if you choose this route. By the time we got over to Many Glacier though, there was so much to do there we didn't go back. The hikes out of Many Glacier are among the best I've ever seen. There is a LOT of bear activity on this side though, be prepared and careful. Also, there are pay showers back behind the store at Many Glacier. They are a little harder to find than most, located squarely in the middle of the employee cabins.
On our first visit to Glacier we got a room Glacier Park Lodge in East Glacier, the night before we headed home. It was expensive but pretty amazing.

A pretty abbreviated glimpse of our latest trip is here:
viewtopic.php?p=133745#p133745

I thought I had lots more pics of our first trip but I guess that was before I started posting trip reports here.

I'm glad to get more in depth if you need.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 06:22 PM   #7

Thanks to all for the info and the pics.
Scotty, What time of year did you go?
Bob in Tucson