Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2009, 04:51 PM   #1

Going to Wolf Creek, OR [added Trip Report]

I'm thinking about heading out to Wolf Creek, OR from Denver and right back again. I've got less than a day's business there that I've been putting off for a few years now, and since I'm currently laid up I'm thinking the week driving round trip wouldn't be much worse than wasting it in front of the TV...

Anyway the route looks like it would be I-84 to US-26 above Eugene OR and then down to Wolf Creek. On the way back I might do US-20 or even OR-140 into Northern Nevada (that's assuming I'm feeling really good about driving and want to drag my heels a bit coming back!).

Any suggestions on route? Which is faster, straighter, and or prettier: US-20 or US-26 to get through Oregon? I can't see doing I-80 or 84 all the way out because it is so far from Sacremento and Portland.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:51 PM   #2

Re: Going to Wolf Creek, OR

Jage,
We were just in the area last week and spent a lot of time around those parts over the years.
If your coming west from Ontario you can take 20 or 26 and then on to Bend. After that 20 or 126 over the Cascades. Then boring I5
With some time 26 is a nice drive and a lot of things to see. The John Day Fossil Beds, Painted Hills, forgotten little towns but a great drive.
Central and Eastern Oregon is full of history and incredible landscapes.
140 is a nice way east too Klamath Lake is nice in the summer.
77 Orig Bronco in rebuild mode "uncut"
76 Orig Bronco rebuilt & driven weekly
71 Orig Bronco rebuilt & 4sale gots everything on it
Owned a jimmy once for about 6 months.
https://www.tropicalgardensofmaui.com
https://www.mauicabins.com
twitter @runnin6mpg
Mahukaawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:43 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice, I wound up going out OR-20 towards Bend but then diverted through Christmas Valley (that's the best way to describe it, the route involved ½ a dozen highways) and Crater Lake National Forest to come out on OR-99 just above Grant's Pass. I-5 travel was minimized as I left the via OR-140 which after Klamath cuts through Northern Nevada. It turned out the 140 route was much faster than cutting through the middle.

I wish I had more time, but I spent 6 out of the 7 days on the road. Most of the photos are boring scenery/vacation shots so I won't share too many- really beautiful scenery for the most part.

Living with the cast required taking the pantry out and doubling the usual bucket to store pantry items like the stove. The buckets doubled as a footrest and table (since I usually cook on the pantry).

This fellow was at a rest stop in Oregon and I was tempted to give him food as the lady before me did, but it turned out he was one of six people who were living at the rest stop and, judging by the number of Colt 45 cans one of his buds put in the trash in front of me, drinking all day.

On highway 140 in a town who's name I intentionally forgot, this beauty caused a rather urgent U-turn and several photos. The front fender top is about even with the top of the mirror in my van.

Here are just a few of the scenery photos I snapped (consider yourself lucky, my family gets to be bored by all of them!)

And this is part of a little road in Nevada that I tried to find a parking spot down. The otherwise perfectly good road had some sand blown over it, and I very nearly got stuck at this spot. I had to use low range to dig out of it, and when I turned around because of the next worse spot 100 yards down, I powered through in high (I didn't want to get out and lock the hubs).

Still it's the best argument for 4x4 because A) I could have gotten out an locked the hubs even in my current condition B) I wouldn't have had low range to spin the tires digging to the harder surface to move again anyway, and C) I wouldn't have had the aggressive mud tires that allowed me to dig on the sand... out of which only A would be valid had it been a real sand trap and not just a foot covering an otherwise solid road.

Still if I'd had 2wd and normal tires I would have been crutching out 1000yards just to get back to pavement in the middle of nowhere- actually, who am I kidding, if I had 2wd I never would have gone down this road in the first place.

All in all it was a good trip and having to deal with the outside world made my leg (and arms!) a lot stronger than continuing to sit on the couch at home would have. Incidentally I am appalled at how few people respect handicapped spots, and (having never before parked in one) how often they are actually FARTHER away from the entrance and/or the restrooms than anything else.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF3405.JPG  
Old 08-30-2009, 10:27 PM   #4

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger
Re: Going to Wolf Creek, OR [added Trip Report]

We spent the night at the rest stop in the last photo just east of SLC. Good spot. The cross is for a Utah Highway patrolman that was killed east of there. That was 3 or 4 days after we (Presley, the dog and I) stopped by Northglenn to actually verify the cast. It is for real!

Glad you could figure out a way to hit the road.

Regards,

Keith
Old 08-31-2009, 11:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage

Incidentally I am appalled at how few people respect handicapped spots, and (having never before parked in one) how often they are actually FARTHER away from the entrance and/or the restrooms than anything else.
Thank you! People just have no idea. Extremely misused program. I'm a proponent of the "100 foot rule". If you can walk 100 feet without aggravating your condition, give up the parking placard.
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote