Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #141

Garage
Re: Goler Wash/Barker Ranch/DV Spring 12

This was a fun trip and we truly enjoyed everyone's company. Sportsmobile owners are all characters and this group was no exception. The sights were amazing and the roads unforgettable. You could spend weeks exploring this area.

Our rendezvous point was the Trona Pinnacles. Woodbee (Woody) and Christopher Thwaites (Chris and Ruth) were already at the Pinnacles when we arrived. Yvvr (Jack and Jacque) arrived a few hours later. Charlie56 (Charles and Dina) arrived very early in the morning the next day. After a quick breakfast we headed out of the Pinnacles and over to Slate Range Trail.

Woodbee at Trona Pinnacles

After surviving the zombie apocalypse that is Trona we headed to the Slate Range Trail. This is a well groomed road up to the summit.

The drive down Slate Range provides spectacular views of Panamint Valley.

The alluvial fan dropping into Panamint Valley is rock strewn, very slow going, no fun.

Road along the bottom of Panamint Valley and the dry lake.

Road leading into Coyote Canyon.

The water fall was ahead. This is something I had been looking forward to for months.

Charlie56 got up it the first try. Cool, this is going to be easy!

My first attempt was in four wheel drive only, no lockers. After failing to climb the falls twice I decided to lock up my rear axle. I got a little further but still no luck. The group told me that my front wheels were not spinning in conjunction with the rears. Hmmm, that’s weird. I decided to pull out all the stops and lock up both axles. I finally made it up, phew. What I didn’t realize was my passenger side Warn hub was not engaging. It was set to lock but the axle spun freely. My SMB is going into a local 4X4 shop this week to see what’s wrong. [EDIT] Turns out the c-clip on the inner hub was not properly seated. No damage or broken parts luckily.

Christopher was next. He climbed up the falls with ease. His rig has front lockers and limited slip rear. After seeing me struggle yvvr decided to use his winch. Sorry I made it look so hard Jack…

Woodbee took a different approach. He decided speed was the solution. I have no idea what gear he was in but he charged up the falls going what must have been 7-10 mph. I’m pretty sure I heard Ride of the Valkyries blasting on his stereo or maybe it was Sammy Hagar’s I Can’t Drive 55, hard to tell at that speed. Nice job Woody!

We visited Barker Ranch and then headed up to Mengel Pass. The road down Mengel was steep and very rocky. Low 1st gear all the way down.

We met up with Ford_6L_E350 (Mike) near the Geologist Cabin in Butte Valley. The drive from the Pinnacles took all day and it promised to be a very windy night so we found a semi protected ravine a few miles away. We huddled together like cows in a storm that night.

The next day we visited the local cabins in Butte Vallley, Geologist, Russell and Stella.
Group photo in front of Geologist Cabin.

We took Butte Valley road and headed further down into Death Valley. After stopping for lunch at Warm Springs we decided that this would be the campsite for the 3rd night.

Christopher carved out a nice campsite under this tree.

View of the valley from the top of Warm Springs

Passenger van windows do come in handy!

Mike brought a SMB trailer full of wood which made for a nice warm campfire that night. It was cold and windy but we managed to play a few rounds of Bocce with Christopher’s trick LED balls.

The next day we headed down to the valley floor and up to Furnace creek where everyone grabbed some fuel, food and a shower. That was the end of the trip for us and we headed back home. Thanks for the fond memories everyone.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #142
Site Team

Great pictures Tapatio. I'm with Woody on doing the Waterfall fast. That's the approach I would have taken. It would be interesting to see if my 2W with locker could have handled it. And, the Bocce looked as fun as when we played it at Toroweep with Chris, Ruth, Mike and the gang. Sorry I had to miss this one. Let's see more pictures.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:25 PM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapatio
Woodbee took a different approach. He decided speed was the solution. I have no idea what gear he was in but he charged up the falls going what must have been 7-10 mph. I’m pretty sure I heard Ride of the Valkyries blasting on his stereo or maybe it was Sammy Hagar’s I Can’t Drive 55, hard to tell at that speed. Nice job Woody!
Thanks Ron, I was in first gear and low range. I would say I was going about 4 or 5 M.P.H.
Thank you for posting all the great photos.
I shot a lot of videos and I am putting the first day together and will put it online in the next few days and the rest will follow, one day at a time.

Woody
Old 04-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #144

Well...I was standing next to the water fall when Woody powered up. I think he set his cruise control at 45 and headed up the hill!!! HA HA. I do know the crowd that had gathered were not disappointed when Woody cleared the falls with nothing as much as a tire spin.
So Woody are you back from Saline Valley?
Chris
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #145
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie56
On my way out the door to join the group in Trona.

If anyone wants to track our progress go to this webpage.
Charlie,

I went back to your link to see if the entire track had been saved, but I guess it only shows the current status now. Can a track be saved for future reference?

BTW, I see your current van location (not sure if you always want that advertised), but when I went to your location in Street View, there's actually the Google street view of your house with your van in the driveway. Pretty cool.

Herb
Old 04-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Thwaites
So Woody are you back from Saline Valley?
Chris
Ya Chris, I got back Monday afternoon. My battery separator went out. Thinking back, I am glad I ran my generator in the evenings. It kept enough power in the house battery that the fridge never warmed up. I realized the problem when I got to Saline Valley and didn't have to charge my camera batteries. I worked on the separator for a few hours and figured it was shot. So I ran the generator for an hour in the mornings and an hour in the evenings and that kept things going. I could have made a jumper to go from the engine battery post on the separator to the house battery post when I drove, but chose not.
I left Saline Valley Sunday morning and got to Fresno that evening. Got to Sportsmobile at 8:00 A.M. Monday and they had me back on the road by 11:00 A.M. Great service and it was all covered by warranty.

Woody
Old 04-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie56
On my way out the door to join the group in Trona.

If anyone wants to track our progress go to this webpage.
http://www.aprs.fi/kz6t-9
Charlie,

I went back to your link to see if the entire track had been saved, but I guess it only shows the current status now. Can a track be saved for future reference?

BTW, I see your current van location (not sure if you always want that advertised), but when I went to your location in Street View, there's actually the Google street view of your house with your van in the driveway. Pretty cool.

Herb
All the data is kept on the APRS servers for about a year. Its possible to go in and search for call signs in a date range and pull off the data. I did it for this trip, inserted it into Google Maps.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...594efaf1f114ba

The lines that form the triangle are obviously wrong.

As for displaying my whereabouts. Thats a good and bad thing about the system.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #148

Hi All,

Here is a link, to my first day on the road to our get together and 4 wheeling in the Death Valley area. I shot all the videos in HD. hope you enjoy the first day. More to come, soon.

http://youtu.be/g5IkMzGr2LU

Woody
Old 04-13-2012, 06:41 PM   #149

Woody at sunset camped at the Race Track. Best picture award DV Goler wash trip.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Old 04-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #150

Best campfire award..thanks to Mike and his trailer full of wood and his friendly Ranger Rick invite to our neighbors Bobby and Aric and Doc.
07 BMW 525xi wagon