Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2015, 12:25 PM   #1

Good campspot off of Sunrise Highway/Mt Laguna area?

I'll be up near Mt Laguna for a trail running event next weekend.....anyone know of any good campspots up there? I was thinking something off of Kitchen Creek Road or Thing Valley Road?

Thanks,

BB

BrianBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:23 PM   #2

Re: Good campspot off of Sunrise Highway/Mt Laguna area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBlair
I'll be up near Mt Laguna for a trail running event next weekend.....anyone know of any good campspots up there? I was thinking something off of Kitchen Creek Road or Thing Valley Road?

Thanks,

BB
Brian,

There's a little National Forest campground called Cibbet's Flat which is off Fred Canyon Road which is about 4.8 miles up Kitchen Creek Road from I-8. I have camped there once before. It was a fairly nice campground but the weekend I camped there there was a fairly large group playing their music rather loudly. If you can boondocks there are some nice spots farther up Fred Canyon Road. I think I have some GPS coordinates if you are interested.
DesertSMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:58 PM   #3

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSMB
Brian,

There's a little National Forest campground called Cibbet's Flat which is off Fred Canyon Road which is about 4.8 miles up Kitchen Creek Road from I-8. I have camped there once before. It was a fairly nice campground but the weekend I camped there there was a fairly large group playing their music rather loudly. If you can boondocks there are some nice spots farther up Fred Canyon Road. I think I have some GPS coordinates if you are interested.
This is one of my favorite spots to get away to for a night on the spur of the moment. I've camped there many, many times.

Back in 1980 I had a Honda 550 Four and a trailer behind it. I took a girlfriend up to Cibbets Flat on the bike to camp. We were in a little 2 man Coleman Pup Tent and in the middle of the night she woke me in a panic because "there are bears out there!"

I told her there were no bears in the Laguna's but she insisted. I poked my head out the tent flap and what the hell - there were two bears sniffing around the camp.

I dug for a flashlight and to my surprise, there were two big Saint Bernards roaming around the campground.

I told her to get in the bottom of the sleeping bag and I went out to chase off the bears - can you say HERO!

When my daughter was a little girl, we would camp there and hike up Kitchen Creek to swim in the holes during the summer.

If you are lucky the Kitchen Creek Road gate will be open just above the campground and you will be able to drive up to the Sunrise Hwy that way.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 12:16 PM   #4

There is a good (but organized - read fee, toilets, picnic tables, fire rings) just off Sunrise Highway S1. The campground is called El Prado and I have stayed there many times as it is only a 45 minute drive from La Mesa. There are lots of mountain bike/hiking trails from the camp..
BillPa
BillPa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:08 AM   #5

We stay have stayed at Laguna Campground and Burnt Ranchita campground a handful of time and both are nice. Burnt Ranchita has the Pine House Tavern next to it which is nice for a beverage after your activities.....

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSMB
I think I have some GPS coordinates if you are interested.
I'm interested, if you wouldn't mind sharing those via PM.

Cheers.
Herbie is offline   Reply With Quote