Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2015, 12:10 PM   #21

Garage
Re: Grand Canyon Trip: North Rim, Point Sublime

Quote:
Originally Posted by blupaddler
Wow!

Your photos and story do exactly what a trip report are supposed to do: Make me want to travel!

Thanks for sharing them with us.
^^^ well said and x2!

seeing all these wonderful trip reports as of late makes my backyard camping stuff seem so uninteresting and boring

"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 02:54 PM   #22

upzmtn showed up and represented the fine state of Kentucky. Now they are off to the Painted Desert and the charms of the Triassic Chinle Formation.

Awesome ride and nice to meet your family! Looks like you guys are having a great trip. I hope to make it to Kentucky and a little further east to Pisgah one of these days.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Schultz.JPG   red smb.JPG  
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:40 PM   #23

Great trip!
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:10 PM   #24

This post is late, but better late than never. This week (our third week) was awesome in more ways than one. The shortlist for this week was a couple more days at the North Rim, two days at Point Sublime, a visit in Flagstaff, and a great finish of the week in Santa Fe.

Summary highlights follow. I wish we could share it all…experiences, sites, and spectacular views.

North Rim - We stayed three nights at the North Rim Campground. It rained most of the day on Saturday, but we were able to get out for a short bike ride before the rain moved in. We arrived back at the SMB just in time as we experienced what we hope was a once in a life time moment. A flash of light then BOOM!! We looked and there was a large plume of dust and the smell of burnt wood. It was a lightening strike! Let’s just say it was a close call. We experienced a lightening strike roughly 100 feet away from our campsite and us. Our site at the North Rim was just one camp road up from the rim sites. My wife wanted to book one of the rim sites, but they were already taken when we made the reservation in Jan/Feb. To our fortune, I am not sure what we would have experienced if we were sitting in the van at that moment at one of the rim sites. Good thing the campers occupying the two sites next to the tree strike were gone at the time. As you can see from the image here the burn area around the tree is quite large.

Grand Canyon – North Rim Campground

Grand Canyon – North Rim Lightening Strike

Point Sublime – On Monday, we headed out the Point Sublime road. All I have to say is “awesome”. This is our element. Looking back on it, if we had known, we would book the entire North Rim stay at Point Sublime. We had the backcountry site(s) to ourselves with just a few day-trippers coming back each day while we were there. We had wonderful weather and spectacular views. My wife and I commented several times that we were glad we experienced the rain at the North Rim campground, so we could have the great weather at Point Sublime. The road out was sloppy and wet, but the SMB handled it great. I did not have to use the four-wheel drive at all driving to the point or back out.

Point Sublime – Meadow (The Basin)

Point Sublime – Crystal Canyon

Point Sublime – View at Point

Point Sublime – Campsite

Point Sublime – Sunset

Point Sublime – Campsite Relaxing

Vermillion Cliffs - On Wednesday, we had to leave Point Sublime. We headed out a different way on Forest Service road W4. It was a nice drive out. My daughter went to a Ranger Program on the California Condor. We did not see any at the North Rim or Point Sublime. They say they are more numerous at the South Rim, but that you can often also see them at the Navajo Bridge at Marble Canyon. So, we made a stop there as we headed to Flagstaff to see if we could get a glimpse of a California Condor. We did not. Maybe next time.

Vermillion Cliffs at Marble Canyon

Flagstaff – After leaving the North Rim, we went to Flagstaff. We ate some great brick oven pizza at Beaver Street Brewery. We drove the most washboard gravel road I have ever been on up to Ashurst Campground south of Flagstaff and proceeded to turn-around and go back down to Pinegrove Campground by Lake Mary. Ashurst was scrubby, sunny, and dry while Pinegrove was in the pines with shade. We were glad we made that choice.

Flagstaff – Big / Little at Beaver Street Brewery

Flagstaff – Ashurst / San Francisco Peaks

Flagstaff – Pinegrove Campground

Flagstaff Meetup with JoeH - As JoeH mentioned in his post, we met up at his house. A big “THANK YOU” for taking a half day to entertain us! My daughter fell in love with Cash, Joe’s dog. We loved your house and location. Plus, I am jealous that his house is just a short bike ride to some of the best trails in Flagstaff and some of the best trails I have ridden in the west. It was awesome!! Thanks JoeH for not kicking my butt too bad. Joe is a great downhiller with jumps and tricks!! ?

Titanium Bike Comparison

Petrified Forest and the Painted Desert – We all enjoyed Flagstaff and hated to move on, but we needed to start making our way back east. We stopped at the Petrified Forest and the Painted Desert. We drove it from the south entrance to the north entrance. That worked out well as we could jump on I-40 east bound from there.

My Daughter and I at Petrified Forest

Lizard at Petrified Forest

SMB at Painted Desert

Santa Fe & Black Canyon – We wanted to make a stop in Santa Fe on our way, so we took a jog to the north from Albuquerque to spend a couple of days there. Again, we all wished we could spend more time there. We will have to make a trip back. We took in the plaza while the Spanish Market was going on and we had dinner at the Shed. We camped at Black Canyon FS Campground. It was nice. We hiked up the Black Canyon trail and enjoyed the views once we were near the top.

Santa Fe Parking – near the Plaza

Santa Fe

Black Canyon Trail – near the top
2017 Subaru Crosstrek
upzmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:01 PM   #25

Sweet pics upzmtn! Fun riding for sure and glad we didn't cut too much into your painted desert time.

Condors can be rather pesky. I was on a river trip one time where one ripped open a guys tent to get at the contents. They are all numbered and this one was Condor #50. We figured it was after the guy's slim jims.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:18 PM   #26
Site Team

Great report. Beautiful pictures. Thanks!
Old 08-05-2015, 09:19 AM   #27

Nice! Envy!
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 03:49 PM   #28

Excellent reports and photos! Do you mind letting us non-professional photo types what camera set up you are using? Beautiful pics.
BillPa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:17 PM   #29

Very nice pics! Thanks for sharing. Especially Point Sublime. I can't believe we bailed on going there and just went to the Marble Canyon side. We were just there and at that point we had the time but were totally paranoid about venturing far offroad because of our van troubles so far on our trip. Thanks for giving me something to show my wife!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:08 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPa1
Excellent reports and photos! Do you mind letting us non-professional photo types what camera set up you are using? Beautiful pics.
Hi Billpa1,
Sorry I am just getting back to you.

Here is my kit:
Backpack camera bag: Gura Gear Kibiko 22L.
Tripod: Really Right Stuff carbon fiber tripod TVC34L-LR-Pkg it has TVC-34L legs and BH-55-LR bullhead, L-Plate for the quick release on the ballhead.
Camera: Nikon D800E.
Lens: Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, Nikkor 16-35mm F/4G ED, Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm F/2.8 ZF.2 Lens for Nikon F-Mount.
Graduated Filters: 4x6 Lee and Singh-Ray 2-3 stop soft and Hard Grads. Lee filter holder.
Polarizer: B+W 77mm thread.
Vello Wireless cable release.

Also, my iPhone 6 plus for quick shots and the panos

I do the post processing in Lightroom 6. If I need some extra editing tools, PhotoShop CS6.

That's pretty much it. Plus getting out in the mornings and evenings to get the sunrise and sunset shots. I use an app called The Photographer's Ephemeris to see where the sun is going to rise and set at a given location.
2017 Subaru Crosstrek
upzmtn is offline   Reply With Quote