Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #1

Houston to Glacier National Park - With Photos Part 1

Day 1 – 6/20/2012
We left Houston at 8:30am to get out of the heat but couldn't drive far enough to achieve that goal today. After driving all day we have found our selves at Copper Breaks State park in Quanah, Texas where the heat is almost as bad as Houston. Later in the evening the sound of the wind whisking threw the trees was soothing, and the night sky was exploding with stars.

Day Two 6/21/2012
Leaving Copper Breaks State Park headed to North Sterling State Park, Colorado

Our day begins at 7:00am with walking the dogs Neasa and Lorcan, packing up the Sportsmobile and heading into town to eat. We made good time yesterday traveling 480 miles. Today we are hoping to get to Sterling, Colorado to North Sterling State Park which is 580 miles from Copper Breaks. It will be another day of Pandora on the cell phone and typing on the computer about the trip. Our ultimate destination is Glacier National Park in Montana.

It is now 3:50pm we have gained an hour as we are now in Colorado, there has been absolutely nothing to look at as it is all plains and man is it PLAIN! We have tried to play I-Spy to pass the time but after about 5 rounds there was nothing left to spy. Neasa and Lorcan are riding so well, Neasa kicked back in my lap and we both took a nap, Lorcan was sprawled out on the couch passing the occasional gas, he could choke a buzzard off a gut wagon.

Well 6:45 and we have arrived in North Sterling State Park, we are still in the plains so there is a nice dry breeze. The park is clean and well kept, however there are no trees around the camp sites and the grass is full of stickers. Neasa refuses to step in the grass so her evening walk is a chore.

Day Three 6/22/2012

After a wonderful night's sleep in the cold breeze we woke up at 5:35am and the sun was up already, the sky is as clear and light blue, after a quick walk with Neasa and Lorcan (Neasa worked up the courage to do her jobs in the sticker infested grass) everyone is ready for some breakfast and we will be back on the road for Custer, South Dakota.

9:25 am Well we are back on the road and have crossed into Nebraska, the cool weather and clear skies sure does make one want to move out here away from all the traffic and noise of Houston. I'm not so sure about those long cold winters though.

2:00pm We have arrived at Custer State Park and this is a must see beautiful park and NO STICKERS - Neasa is so happy . The camp sights are a little small but you will want to spend your time at the lake for sure. The path around the lake is wonderful Neasa and Lorcan loved the hike and Lorcan loves to take quick swims to cool off. People around here seem to be very nice and the park is clean and well kept. The bathrooms have showers. This is far from the plains we were in with wonderful mountain terrain. It is about 6:30pm and we are both ready for bed, it has been a long drive and after our little stroll around the lake and a shower it is off to bed with my cover stealing Neasa.

Day Four 6/23/2012

Another cold night of fighting for covers, Neasa is a small dog but man - can she take up some room and steal the covers and I about froze. We took a trip over to Mount Rushmore National Monument, about 15 miles from Sylvan Lake. I have seen pictures of Mount Rushmore all my life but seeing it in living color really makes you appreciate the work that went into this wonder. We stopped in Hill City to see about getting a couple bathing suites so we could go swimming with Neasa and Lorcan but a simple pair of nylon swimming shorts was $50.00 so we took a pass on that, and decided to just wear the cloth shorts we had with us. Back at Sylvan Lake, I carried Neasa in and she starting paddling before she touched the water. Lorcan just loves to swim. After a nice hike around the lake again we indulged in an ice cream cone and headed back up to the camp site to take a nap as all of us are worn out.

Day 5 6/24/2012

We are now headed to Sundance Wyoming to see Devils Tower National Monument. We were able to sleep in a little today even though the sun was up at 4:30am. We had a nice breakfast and walked the dogs around. The dogs weren't allowed on the trails at Devils Tower, and it was near 100 degrees, so we headed on to Theodore Roosevelt National Park.

It is now 6:45pm and Theodor Roosevelt National Park does not have showers or electricity so we will be staying at one of the local commercial camps. Neasa and Lorcan were seriously checking out the prairie dogs in TRNP - from the rear sofa!

Day 6 6/25/2012

I woke up to the sound of a woodpecker tapping on a cottonwood tree just outside the camper and Neasa cuddled up close to me as it was just a touch cool.

Well it is 2:10pm and the heat is rising we are trying to outrun it to the next camping area but having little success so far, we think that Lorcan got bit by a horse fly as he just went crazy trying to get on the dash while we were driving 60 miles an hour. He is ok and we can not find any bite area so who knows he may just be stir crazy from the long driving days.

After a long day I looked up camping areas on the GPS and found a KOA in Great Falls, MT. As a rule we do not like the commercial camp grounds as they most often resemble a trailer park or just a parking lot. Not this time! We are so pleasantly surprised this KOA is by far the best nice large private bathrooms, yes you read correctly the shower and toilet are all in a private room that locks, there is a pool and hot tub as well as a small water park for kids to play in. They also offer free firewood. Each site is like a little private piece of serenity with plenty of trees. Neasa and Lorcan had a large area to play in on their leads. The little cottontails were everywhere and very cute. After we had a wonderful nights sleep we decided to give there dining room a try. Breakfast was wonderful, but be warned ONE PANCAKE IS ENOUGH FOR A SMALL VILLAGE. All the staff was very friendly. This by far exceeded our expectations so my rating is 5 stars out of a possible 5. I even took the time to email the manager and let them know that we LOVE it!
Attached Thumbnails
Sylvan Lake.jpg   Mount Rushmore.jpg   Devils Tower.jpg  

RB30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #2

Re: Houston to Glacier National Park - With Photos Part 1

Thanks for taking the time for the write up. My dog also loves to swim - so we usually camp by lakes. Great pictures...makes me want to hit the road again.