Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #1

Houston to Glacier National Park - With Photos Part 2

Day 7 6/26/2012

It is now about 9:15 we are packing up and planning on making it to Glacier today. I am so excited after seeing pictures on the internet. About 2:00pm we made it to Glacier National Park - it is beautiful! The drive was a long one and we are both ready to get out of the sportsmobile for awhile. Saint Mary’s camp ground had small sites with little to no grassy areas for the dogs, and no power or water at the sight, and with the weather looking as it does (cold and rainey, with high winds) I decided to see if I could find a KOA, and I did about 2 miles from the park. We have a high wind warning out for tonight and it is already kicking up pretty hard and the rain comes and goes, MAN IS IT COLD ! We took a drive up Many Glacier Road, but were mostly confined to the van due to high wind.

Day 8 6/27/2012

What a night, the wind was so fierce that we had to lower the top and all four of us try to fit on the lower bunk, the doggies did not seem to mind it at all, however Craig and I were not getting any sleep as there was no room and no way to get comfortable, would seem that kicking the dogs off the bed would be the solution, but that was just not going to happen, they would have pitched a fit till they were able to get back on the bed. So I got up and took Lorcan and Neasa out at about 5:00am as the sun was already up, while I did that Craig was able to raise the top again because the wind has slowed, we got another couple hours of much needed sleep, I am still tired but well see if tonight I can get good rest. We headed out to the visitors center in the park to see what areas they recommended. We decided to head up to "going to the sun highway" to Gunsight Pass. All I can say is WOW! It is so beautiful.

The wind is still howling and it is cold but when you are looking at the wonder around you that seems to melt away and you don’t even notice. Along the road we saw a bear cub that looked so cute and cuddly, but I am sure that momma bear was not far away. No fishing as of now the Rivers are all raging as the rain passed through yesterday. At the top of Gunsight Pass there was snow on the ground so we let Neasa and Lorcan get out and play in it. Lorcan was having a blast! Jumping and thrashing his head about, several people stood and giggled at his goofy play. Neasa had found where the snow had melted a hole in the snow and all she wanted to do was see that could be in that hole, she just new there was a badger in there.

Day 9 6/28/2012

After a wonderful nights sleep we decided to head over to Fish Lake camp ground located on the other side of the park. The drive has wonderful views that a picture will not quite capture and the smell of the fresh clean air is just wonderful. The snow capped mountains and rushing river made for a beautiful drive. About half way through the park the drivers side front brake is locking up and has started to smoke. After about an hour of driving from pull out to pull out we decided that we needed to get some help. We raised the hood and within five minuets someone stopped, and contacted a park ranger, who in turn contacted a towing company. American Towing in Columbia Falls did a great job - they were honest and worked as quick as they could and the price was lower than expected.

9:00pm we are now at the park camping ground at Fish Lake, we took Neasa and Lorcan for a walk and I decided to take my shower, when you arrive you get one token per person that is good for five minutes in the shower, well I hope you do not like hot showers because this is lukewarm at best and the shower area is not heated, the windows are open, so you only think that you are frozen in the shower just wait till you step out into the COLD air … I do not think we will spend another night in the park we will be staying at a local commercial camp ground. They are not always the best but they do have electric and water as well your shower is not limited to a five minute cold shower.
Attached Thumbnails
Many Glaciers Road.jpg   Dead Tree.jpg   Mist Moving In.jpg  

RB30 is offline   Reply With Quote