Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #1

Houston to Glacier National Park - With Photos Part 3

Day 10 6/29/2012

Well we found ourselves back at Great Falls to enjoy another two days this time but quickly found out that they are a firework friendly campground. Neasa and Lorcan are not happy about this. the Fireworks lasted till right up to 11:00pm.

Day 11 6/30/2012 Today we are in Missouri headwater state park, it is primitive camping and there are SNAKES I saw 4 of them crossing the river. They were rattle snakes so I was a little over protective of the dogs but they did not get bitten ! We had steak for dinner and Neasa and Lorcan got one too - they were very happy dogs. I did a little fishing with no luck as the water is very warm and fast moving.

Day 12 7/01/2012 We are headed into Livingston MO to the Yellowstone river, there is a KOA right on the river so we are going to check it to see if it is worth it. We made it to the KOA and the river was moving very fast so it was difficult to fish from shore. There were a lot of rabbits for the dogs to bark at and the campers to the rear of us just loved the dogs, they seemed to be a nice couple.

Day 13 7/2/2012 We are headed to Little Big Horn battle field, where a large portion of Custer's command was killed. There were markers everywhere and even a few Indian markers which Craig found odd as he read that the bodies of Custer’s men were found several days after the battle and the Indians had already removed all their dead. It seemed a little morbid, however the battle was 1876 so about 136 years ago now that does help to distance ourselves from the carnage that took place. There were two monuments there; one for Custer’s men and one for Lakota Indians (which are a division of the Sioux) and the Cheyenne as they were part of the battle. There was a helpful cell phone audio tour however it was a little hard to hear what the people were saying but still very informative. As we drove south into Wyoming a storm was building over the Bighorn Mountains where we planned to camp. We decided instead to camp in Sheridan, Wyoming and head up into the Bighorns the next day.

Day 14 7/3/2012 Well we are up and going to try to get out of Sheridan before the 101 temperature today. Craig has a place in mind that he would lake to stay in the Bighorn Mountains. There are no showers and no electricity in the national forest campground (Bald Mountain) but it is nice and cool up there and even some snow in some places on the ground. We made it to bald Mountain Campground and wow it is beautiful, we took the dogs out for a little off leash adventure up one of the slopes of bald mountain and in one of the draws there was a large patch of snow still on the ground. Neasa and Lorcan both had a blast, while I was gasping for air at 9277 feet above sea level. The thinner air did not seem to slow Neasa and Lorcan at all and they had a BLAST playing in the snow and running up and down the hills. There are several holes in the ground made by some kind of ground varmint and Neasa was running from hole to hole to see if anyone was home. I am starting to feel the effects of the sun and need to start wearing sun screen but I hate to when there is no shower, just can not sleep feeling sticky and oily from sunscreen. I am also starting to really miss my comfy Queen sized memory foam mattress, and Neasa told me she was too.

After the hike the dogs were happy to take a snooze. Later that night, Neasa, the cover thief, was in action.

Attached Thumbnails
Bald Mountain Camp.jpg   What a long hike.jpg   OK but where are you sleeping.jpg  

RB30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #2

Houston to Glacier National Park - With Photos Part 3

Memories of a lifetime
Very very cool
BW
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage
Re: Houston to Glacier National Park - With Photos Part 3

Looks like one good trip. I just wish I could take time away from work to do something like that. Vacation is hard to come by, but hopefully nothing will change in the next few years where I'll have plenty of time to do a great trip like you guys did. Thanks for posting.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:48 PM   #4

Re: Houston to Glacier National Park - With Photos Part 3

Sounds like a good trip, thanks for posting. I love the dog pictures