Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2017, 08:48 PM   #11
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
OK Bronco here's some of the 'mother nature/freebies' gifts we scored on the trip...Thanks all for some of the advice through other posts and directly making it a great trip in old Sporty!
1.Geodes from Dugway pits 2. Trilobites (350 million years old!!... unless you're one of those world is only 10,000 year old thinkers, then, don't know what to tell you) but man was it FUN!! Addictive like panning for gold! 3. Close up, see the 'shiny' one...guy manning shack used a wire it bit on a dremmel and shined it up nicely..which was/is cool to know. 4. more 5. Shined up/closeup

more to come
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2579.jpg   IMG_2581.jpg   IMG_2582.jpg   IMG_2583.jpg   IMG_2584.jpg  

ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:44 AM   #12
Site Team

Cool haul.

Were all those geodes the cast-offs you found, or did you dig some yourselves? I may have to take a trip there with my son, though I think it's very, very remote.

I agree about finding the trilobites. It's hard to stop, especially when its so easy to find them.

Herb
Old 05-29-2017, 11:46 AM   #13
ctb

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Cool haul.

Were all those geodes the cast-offs you found, or did you dig some yourselves? I may have to take a trip there with my son, though I think it's very, very remote.

I agree about finding the trilobites. It's hard to stop, especially when its so easy to find them.

Herb
Hey Herb! Yes, they (geodes) were at a campsite right at the beginning of the area...we WERE going back in (a mile or three) to the pits that morning after we arrived, but the traffic was CRAZY!! I would/will go back but on a Monday or Tuesday....we figured the 'garbage pile' was good enough for us since we planned on going back someday. Yes it is remote! I was thinking an hour or two on dirt/gravel to get there...easy road though (liken to an Iowa B road out in the country)...go west another 30 or so and get to Topaz Mt. were one of the locals told us you can find Topaz everywhere!
Old 06-06-2017, 12:22 PM   #14
ctb

Garage
Last couple of pics...these fossils were found off Rt 6 Utah. We actually took a map site from a Utah Gem book and went to find it. Granted, the gem book was over 20 years old and (probably) had many visitors, BUT we still found some great pieces...and a valuable lesson/reminder that the SW has scorpions and gem hunting brings you across rocks you lift and move...and you have to be on the lookout...blessings that we weren't reminded the hard way!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2586.jpg   IMG_2585.jpg   IMG_2588.jpg   IMG_2587.jpg