Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2010, 12:15 PM   #11

Re: Is the trip to the Lost Coast on for NOCAL?

That could work for us. I presume you'd start at Usall Beach? Plenty of room there. It can get noisy with dirt bikers roaring around the campground at all hours. I've only been about 3 or 4 miles up the road beyond the campground. This time of year shouldn't be too bad.....if it doesn't rain too much. It isn't harvest season yet but lots of growing happens up there. It's not unsafe unless you are up to no good. What is the general plan?

07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:42 PM   #12

Not being able to go (conflict on the 15th) but when I first proposed the location, I wasn't talking about Usal Beach. I would not recommend it for the 2wd sprinters during the Spring. After a storm, the road in can get very muddy, and the last down hill stretch to the beach could be problematic. During dry weather it would not be a problem. The location I was proposing was further north.

Take a look at the Google Map Link below

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...fa370da260f64a

Wailaki campground is my recommendation for the group meet. It is easy to get to (paved) but relatively remote. Its a BML campground. Here is the description
http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtop...p=37725#p37725

Tolkan is another good option for a BML mountain campground. Further north is the mouth of the Mattole River CC. Right on the beach. Needle Rock is a picture perfect location but it is a tent/pack-in campground with only one vehicle camp. It is a nice day-use park but you have to pay the high park fee.

There are more opportunities for Boondocking but not for a large group of vehicles. (At least that I know of.)

Let me know if you need further information.

Wish I could go, but can't on that date.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:44 AM   #13

Charlie56,
Thanks for the clarification of probable sites. The Mattole River camp ground would be my choice but I just found out from the keeper of the calendar the 15th is out for us...dang! If dates change for any reason then there is a better chance.
That whole area from Ferndale down to Petrolia and beyond is just some stunning country.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:54 AM   #14

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger

Looks like this may not be a go. I think we will most likely skip this and add a day or two to the Grand Canyon trip.

Still have the Bad Beer Contest in July and I am thinking for us, as hot as August is, we might head to the Lost Coast then.

Regards,

Keith
Old 04-12-2010, 08:10 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage

Anybody who is planning to go please post here.

If not, anybody that comes up with a different location/date, please post back.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:14 PM   #16

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger

Ok, I am back. We are going somewhere the 26th-31th of May. We were going to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon but then I switched to Sequoia and I just got word the campsite is closed because of snow and won't open until June. I don't really want to drive to the Grand Canyon because I have covered most of that country and was raised in the southwest

Soooooo, we may head north to the lost coast after all. We need to check out Stinson beach for the bad beer contest anyway.

Regards,

Keith
Old 05-13-2010, 11:20 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage

My van is out but might have to go back to SMBW.

But isn't that Memorial day week? I avoid that one like the plague.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote