Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2018, 08:05 AM   #1

Joshua Tree for the Holiday

Hey guys, anybody have any intel on boondocking, dirt roading, or biking in and around Joshua Tree. Since we're on a no snow holding pattern around here I'm looking to get out to the desert for the holiday. All I can tell from the maps is there is BLM land to the South. Anything to the North? Any must sees-doos?

Thanks in advance

Wade

wadewaydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:30 AM   #2

I've spent many nights on the BLM land south of the park. It's pretty nice but can get a little crowded, especially over holidays.

There's also BLM land north of town(Joshua Tree). I haven't really spent much time up there but it's definitely an option.

Camping in the park will most likely be a no-go. It's blown up in popularity the last few years and it seems near impossible to find a site.

Have you spent any time in Anza Borrego? That might be a good option and only a little further....
BrianBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadewaydo View Post
Hey guys, anybody have any intel on boondocking, dirt roading, or biking in and around Joshua Tree. Since we're on a no snow holding pattern around here I'm looking to get out to the desert for the holiday. All I can tell from the maps is there is BLM land to the South. Anything to the North? Any must sees-doos?

Thanks in advance

Wade
Wade,
There is boondocking out on Black Eagle Mine Rd or up the Old Dale Road both of which take off from the main North-South road through JTREE just up from Cottonwood Campground. There are some cool old mines up along the latter. 4WD definitely required at North end of Old Dale Rd

Chris
DesertSMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSMB View Post
Wade,
There is boondocking out on Black Eagle Mine Rd or up the Old Dale Road both of which take off from the main North-South road through JTREE just up from Cottonwood Campground. There are some cool old mines up along the latter. 4WD definitely required at North end of Old Dale Rd

Chris

Yeah, both of those roads go past the park boundary where it is then legal to disperse camp. And there happens to be flat spots just past outside the park on both roads. I would say that 4wd is now also necessary for Black Eagle Mine Rd as there was a steep bank in and out of a wash at around mile 7.5 in Nov 2017.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:34 AM   #5

Geology Tour Road is pretty cool. High clearance 4WD the last time I did it 5+ years ago.
Rock Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:26 AM   #6

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the comments, and am heading out. Government shut down be damned.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:14 AM   #7

Joshua Tree Trip report

Hi Guys, thanks again for the info...

I want to share the trip report here but don't want to get into a political discussion about the shut down. Write your senator, seriously. I actually had a great time, despite the crowds. I may resurrect this thread once the heat is off, but for the time-being you can read the trip report here:

https://wadeatblogspot.blogspot.com/...r-holiday.html

Here is a little teaser:

Bad news. I only brought 8 marshmallows. Kristi was appalled. 8 marshmallows for four nights? Sounded reasonable to me. A debate ensued. How many marshmallows does it take for a four night trip? 8, 20, or 40?

Thanks for looking, and thanks again!

Old 01-15-2019, 12:15 PM   #8

8 marshmallows? Your kids don't play Chubby Bunny where they stuff marshmallows in their mouth until they gag? Then spit them out in the fire?

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:23 PM   #9

You're right. 8 is not the correct answer (I have been informed). That leaves 20 or 40.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:57 PM   #10

Nice write up and photos. Seems you did fine with the crowds with just being patient. Not easy to be above it but with the 4x4 van it is an awesome way to camp.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote