Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2020, 08:07 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandiesel View Post
Over packing is like a disease the same as over catering.
I spent most of my outdoor time backpacking before I bought my SMB. I still load it with a backpacker mentality, but it feels like the Taj Mahal.

As I was advised before my Appalachian Trail through hike, take half the stuff and twice the money.

Old 01-03-2020, 12:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Are you going to setup a bread crumb site to follow?
Just email me from the blog and I'll send the password for the map to follow.

Thanks!

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:24 PM   #13

Phil,
Good luck and safe travels. My wife and I did the whole thing in 2009-10 in a 88 Westy. People are wonderful and very helpful..
Birdpeebs,
Birdpeebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:37 PM   #14

Phil,
I just thought to give you a couple of websites that may be helpful for finding spots to camp or park. One is Park4night, a crowd source site that is world wide. We used it in Europe the last two summers. It gives the location of places to park for the night and campsites. Another is iOverlander. We haven't used it but a friend of ours says that it is also like park4night, and very useful. When we did the Pan American to Ushuaia and back we pretty much winged it and did fine. So have a great trip.
One last tip, STAY AWAY FROM MEXICO CITY. The cops there are corrupt, we stupidly paid $350.00 just to avoid a ticket. That was the only problem we had the entire trip.
Birdpeebs(Gary Peebles)
Birdpeebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:36 PM   #15

Hey Phil,

I'll definitely be following your progress on your dream trip. I'm sorry we had to cut our Baja trip short and are going to miss you heading south. It would have been great to be able to meet up.

I don't know how much of a reader you are, but I just finished a book titled "Take a Seat". It's written by a guy who rode a tandem bicycle from Prudhoe Bay, Alaska to Ushuaia in 2006, almost 20,000 miles in just over 2 years. His plan was to meet people along the way who would ride the tandem with him for various lengths of his journey. I know it's a while ago, but he had very few problems and seemed to have the trip of his life. I'm sure it will be the same for you.

You have my #, so don't hesitate to call if you need anything (or want to borrow the book) while you're traveling through my area.

Safe Travels...
Old 01-09-2020, 04:56 PM   #16

Congrats!

We finished our 4 year trip in 2019 and are back in Mexico, just south of Oaxaca.

Take good hot and cold weather gear and several sets of air filters. We went through 3 sets in SA, they can be expensive there. If your propane tank is fixed, carrying a small refillable is advised. At some point fixed tanks cannot be filled since public vehicles aren’t allowed on propane station property. If you have a black tank, a porta potti is better since dump stations disappear in southern Mexico. 3-way fridges have been known to break, a 12v is better but for a year long trip you should be fine if that’s what you have.

On blogging, it takes a lot of time so consider just posting photos to Instagram and/or FB. If you aren’t trying to make money the time it takes to blog is better spent on beer/wine thirty. A year goes by pretty fast. Just remember, Long-term overlanding is the fast track to alcoholism ; )

You should be near the Monarch Butterfly reserves at the perfect time, a must visit. We should be here another three weeks before checking out the Oaxacan coast for a couple weeks, then we’ll start heading north... probably through San Miguel de Allende. Lets keep in touch and feel free to reach out anytime, email is best.

See you down the road

-JaM
Old 01-09-2020, 07:04 PM   #17

So exciting! We did 6 months to Panama in 06 with the kids. The plan was to reach ushuaia but life had otherplans. I plan to complete the journey some day. .we never had an issue and slept in our van nearly every night. Keep in mind if you decide to sell the van down there reach out! I'd love to drive it back up after the eclipse December 2020!! Safe travels and enjoy!!
Amyclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:26 PM   #18
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
DREAM TRIP!!!!! BEST OF LUCK! If not done yet...make sure to have a daily call/check in time...even if it is just a text....or a satellite phone at the very least!! The daily check in will ensure that if at any time you don't check in, people can try a bit harder to get in contact, OK? I can't wait to see the pics! Again, best of luck and safety!

Ps ArcticTraveler has a great thread on what tools he packs for his many travels...and he travels where most won't! Like member "Two", great advice from these folks!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:14 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctb View Post
Ps ArcticTraveler has a great thread on what tools he packs for his many travels...and he travels where most won't! Like member "Two", great advice from these folks!
It's here: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...rry-20892.html
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdpeebs View Post
Phil,
I just thought to give you a couple of websites that may be helpful for finding spots to camp or park. One is Park4night, a crowd source site that is world wide. We used it in Europe the last two summers. It gives the location of places to park for the night and campsites. Another is iOverlander. We haven't used it but a friend of ours says that it is also like park4night, and very useful. When we did the Pan American to Ushuaia and back we pretty much winged it and did fine. So have a great trip.
One last tip, STAY AWAY FROM MEXICO CITY. The cops there are corrupt, we stupidly paid $350.00 just to avoid a ticket. That was the only problem we had the entire trip.
Birdpeebs(Gary Peebles)
Hey Gary -

First time I've looked at the forum since I left. Having a great time and use iOverlander every now and then. I'll check out Park4night.

I'm north of Mexico City now and there are some sights around it, but my current inclination is to avoid it. Too many other places I'd like to spend my time than in a big city.

Like you, no one but super friendly people everywhere. No corrupt cops yet!

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote