Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2011, 02:03 PM   #1

Labrador (Pictures added)

Made the long drive up from Baie Comeau to Labrador City and across to Goose Bay.

Road conditions both in Quebec and Labrador vary from poor (less than 25mph) to excellent (50+). The problem is it can change without notice!

Heading up is a great visit: Manic 5 dam. When in construction it was the largest construction project in the world! Unfortunately, the tours don't start until June 24th and we passed by on the 2oth. See Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manic-5

Continuing up to Fermot/Labrador City is a huge iron mine. The nearby lakes and rivers are red from iron.

Then across to Churchhill Falls. A bit of a misnomer since the falls are gone. The water from 2/3 of Labrador flows into the Churchill River, and the river has been diverted to a hydro power plant. Now
the water flows 1000" underground to the tubines and cangenerate 5750 Mw of power. Most of the power goes into a pair of 735KV transmission lines heading to Quebec. Another very nice tour.

We are now in Goose Bay, where you used to get the ferry for a 40 hour ride to Newfoundland. Now the road continues 630km south to a much shorter (2 hr) ferry ride toa part of Newfounland we've never seen.

Pictures to follow.

Mike in Labrador

2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:37 PM   #2

Re: Labrador

Ha! I was just in Lab City and Fermont last week for work. Was talking to a colleague about the drive south to Baie-Comeau and wondering what it's like. Weather was great last week - hope you are still experiencing the sun and warm temps.

There are actually three major iron ore mines in the area, plus a new mine and several smaller mines throughout that part of the country. Business is good.

Cheers,
Brent
Old 06-22-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
Site Team

Be safe Mike and Dorothy. I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures and reading your trip report. And, of course, hearing about the trip in person when I see you at the Valley of Fire in October.

Regards,

Mac
Old 06-23-2011, 03:38 AM   #4

Warm weather and sun would be nice. Mostly in the 40's with drizzle and rain. Sun did come out late in the day and it zoomed into the 50's.

If Minnesota is the land of 10,000 lakes, Labrador is the land of 10,000,000 lakes and ponds. Lots of water here. Lots!!

Labrador reminds me of Alaska. Lots of black spruce, empty spaces and similar terrain. Freindly people. Only more water. Lots more. Sunset around 11pm and sunrise around 3am. Primitive and limited services sometimes.

The rough roads have reduced my mileage on this part of the trip to around 16mpg.

This morning we head south on the new road and into unknown (to us) territory.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Old 06-23-2011, 08:31 AM   #5

Please keep us posted on that new road.

I very impetuously and foolishly set out for Labrador in my father's Taurus in the early 90's. I'd told him I was borrowing it for a quick road trip, then I set out and drove like a fiend. After Manic 5, when the road turned to dirt, I didn't have the heart to subject it to that, so I turned back and drove for what felt like 24 hours, but may have been less, stopping only to sleep in a rest area near Quebec.

I have had the Labrador bug ever since and now have the vehicle to do it.

Do you happen to know if that ferry allows dogs on it?

I should really do a trip report for the recent month-long journey I did out west, as well as the Canadian Rockies. Just too busy with work to do it.

I am really curious about any further news you post. Thanks.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadcat
Do you happen to know if that ferry allows dogs on it?
It's only a two hour ferry, so I would think you could leave a dog in the van. Don't ask, don't tell.

You could call the ferry co: Tel: 1-709-535-0810

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Old 06-24-2011, 04:27 PM   #7

Re: Labrador (Pictures added)

Here are some pictures we have taken:

Manic 5 dam

Manic 5 again

Churchill Falls everything building. It houses the hotel, restaurant, theatre, gym, Post Office, bank, schools, hockey rink, library, grocery store,and more. All in one site to save heating costs.

A generator apart for repairs. 1000' underground!

One of the tunnels. Over 16 miles of tunnels. The power plant is carved out of solid granite. No blasting to prevent fracturing thr remaining granite.

Special truck to transport 200 ton transformers

Typical pond/islands. Too many of these to count.

Some bad road. Normally the road is great, but they had heavy rain last week and this is the result.

Small fishing village.

Today we took the ferry to the island of Newfoundland. Tomorrow we head up to Lanse au Meadow, the site of a Viking village 1000 years ago.

The fish and chips (cod) is very good. We had some bakeapple (Cloudberry) pie and some rhubarb soup! Bakeapple is a local berry. Food is really quite good so far.

But, the weather still cold and damp. Maybe July/Aug/Sept is a better time to visit.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Old 06-24-2011, 08:16 PM   #8

Re: Labrador (Pictures added)

Damp? Cold? Beautiful!!!! Must be Newfoundland

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote