Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2008, 02:23 PM   #1

Lake Mead/Mohave Questions

We are planning on spending a couple of days at Lake Mead/Mohave over the long Thanksgiving weekend. The main point of the trip is to go kayaking each day, so we would like to camp at a place that has easy access to the lake. I know the various marinas have camping available, but I have a feeling these are just RV parking lots which we would like to avoid if possible.

There appears to be lots of various roads that lead down to the lakes, but I have no clue if there is camping or lake access at the end of these roads. Does anyone have any experience in this area that they could share? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:38 PM   #2

I stayed here for the first leg of our Grand Canyon Loop trip this summer - The campground is about a mile from the waters edge but the kids were able to walk down no problem. There is a road down to the water and you are able to set up for the day. We kept a boat over at the Las Vegas Boat Harbor and would beach it during the day. It was very easy to launch the Kayaks - you can actually drive right into the lake.

The campground we stayed at was Lake Mead RV Village. http://campster.com/Publish/campgroundR ... ampId=3918
There was a different campground that would probably work for a SMB just to the left that we had to drive through to get down to the beach. We didn't stay here because I was towing our travel trailer. It looked to be Nevada state run.

Steve
outopawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:40 AM   #3

Steve - thanks for the information. It looks like we are going to stay at Temple Bar on Lake Mead. This will make it easy, especially since we can rent a slip for the kayaks instead of having to reload them each day (yes, we are lazy that way). We will also probably check out some of the other areas for primitive camping for a future trip. I just don't want to end up somewhere where it is really difficult or impossible to launch them. Especially with the low water levels.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:10 AM   #4

Unfortunately we are going to have to postpone this trip for a while. One of our dogs tore his ACL a couple nights ago, so there is no chance of him being able to get in/out of the van. He is likely getting surgery in 3 weeks. And you all thought your SMB was expensive...