Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2009, 10:47 PM   #1

Mammoth

It's been about a month but I wanted to post these pics anyway...We camped at these hot springs on some BLM land...Nice spot...Rode for a few days and had a blast.
Attached Thumbnails
mammoth4.jpg   mammoth1.jpg   mammoth2.jpg  

Old 02-06-2009, 06:37 AM   #2

Re: Mammoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veg Hed
It's been about a month but I wanted to post these pics anyway...We camped at these hot springs on some BLM land...Nice spot...Rode for a few days and had a blast.
Beautiful area! I know exactly where the last pic was taken as you turn onto Benton Crossing Road. Whereabouts are these hot springs?
Rob
Old 02-06-2009, 08:52 AM   #3

You're right...The paved road is Benton Crossing Rd. Coming from 395 on Benton there will be a road on your left. This road is called Whitmore Tubs. Turn left on Whitmore Tubs and just follow it out. Off of this road there are a bunch of little roads off to the right. Pick one...If it looks well traveled there is bound to be a tub at the end. I guess there are a bunch off of this road. Hint: If it is cold out look for the rising steam. There is also another one about a mile past Whitmore Tubs Rd on the Left. It's called Hill top. Just be advised that some of these are popular and you might run into some random naked people.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:12 AM   #4

Great pictures.

I've been there several times. This is another hot spring just up the road.

My signature picture is from right near there as well.

Were you bike riding? I did Lower Rock Creak a couple of February's ago in partial snow. It was a blast. Followed it up with a soak in the tub pictured above. Then spent the night. .....
That was a great day!

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
hotsprings.JPG  

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:30 AM   #5

Phil...The tub I pictured in my post is where we stayed the first night. The one you posted is the one we stayed at the second night...So I've been to that one as well!!! The tub you posted was way hotter than the first one where we stayed. There was a nice littler turn around here and we camped on the other side of the loop near a gate. I think it was something like 20 degrees outside but the tub had to be in the 100's. I was half way out of it most of the time trying not to over heat. The first night we got woken up at 2am by some naked partyers. But that's the price of free camping. I didn't mind the noise so much because I already had a few beers in my but what did piss me off was the next morning the idiots left a bunch of beer bottles behind. The second night we moved down the road to the tub in your pic. While we were there another vehicle pulled up but left after an hour. And they were quiet.

I took these pics at the end of December. We were up at Mammoth snowboarding and camped down here. At $83 a lift ticket we tried to save money by bringing our own food, beer and camping here.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:49 PM   #6
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veg Hed
Sweeet!
Here is map of the area form rockfax.com:

Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:45 PM   #7

Shepherd is the one in my picture and Rock Tub is the one in VegHed's picture. I have tried to find Crab Cooker on a few occasions and have never found it.

I prefer Rock Tub for it's size and setting, but I have had some good and relaxing times in Shepherd.

Here's another of Rock Tub with my son and his friend (the happy ones) and some dude in a hat that stopped by for a while.

Attached Thumbnails
rocktub.JPG  

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote