Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2010, 12:21 AM   #1

Mammoth Fishing and Camping Advice needed

Hi all,
I will be in Mammoth early next month and want to try something new. I have been to Convict Lake, Silverlake, and Laurel Lakes.

I want to stay at a lake to fish, so am actual campground is fine. I have a small boat with a 5hp motor so want to fish a lake that allows motors. I was looking at Lake Mary and Twin Lakes.

Any recommendation between those? Which is better to fish and also to camp? Anyone have photos of the campgrounds- couldn't find any at all. Open to other suggestions too.

Thanks.

steve

Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:12 AM   #2

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray
Re: Mammoth Fishing and Camping Advice needed

Steve-

Generally all those lakes up there are nice. The weather right now is great. Gull lake is really quite nice and there are plenty of fish in there too. Also -- if you get to the area of devils Post Pile, starkweather lake is loaded with fish although its small and you cant take a boat.

J
jlrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
CJ

Send a message via Yahoo to CJ

Although I haven't been there in a long time I always preferred Twin Lakes. Upper twin had a great little spot just off and to the right of the boat dock is a good size cove the fish would run in and out all day long. Virginia lakes are a good place for the golden guys.

Have fun

Old 07-16-2010, 06:30 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice. Most campgrounds are already booked so I am sort of limited. This time I want to stay in a campground so I can leave my boat at the lake and just walk over to it.

So has anyone stayed at the Coldcreek Campground near Lake Mary? If so, how far is the walk from the actual lake. While it looks close on the map I cannot tell where the access is and if I can leave my boat nearby.

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:06 PM   #5

Depending on your campsite you could be as far as 1.5 miles from Lk Mary.

I would think about Convict Lake Campground and fish on Convict Lake or Twin Lakes out of Bridgport (best fishing).
jstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellularSTEVE
Thanks for the advice. Most campgrounds are already booked so I am sort of limited. This time I want to stay in a campground so I can leave my boat at the lake and just walk over to it.

So has anyone stayed at the Coldwater Campground near Lake Mary? If so, how far is the walk from the actual lake. While it looks close on the map I cannot tell where the access is and if I can leave my boat nearby.

steve

IMHO, Coldwater is one of the better campgrounds in the lakes basin. It is a basic large USFS campsite, but the setting is nice and many of the sites are creekside. The lake is only about 1/4 mile walk from the campground entrance and I think there is a boat launch pretty close too.
R
Old 07-16-2010, 09:37 PM   #7
CJ

Send a message via Yahoo to CJ

I second Twin lakes, check out Ann's campground at the north lake (upper twin). Its been awhile so it might have a different name now.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:09 AM   #8
Site Team

Garage

Kinda far from Mammoth but ever been to Saddlebad Lake? Really good fishing, only I'm not sure about leaving the boat on the lake. One nice thing is the restaurant at the marina. Plus there is a water taxi that takes people to the opposite side of the lake. The CG is W/I walking distance of the restaurant and the forest service campground is supposed to be one of the highest in Ca; it's a slightly barron landscape as far as trees but the mountains are striking. Best time to grab a site is a weekday and the best sites are usually taken.

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=sa ... CDQQsAQwAw
Attached Thumbnails
saddlebag.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote