Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2020, 11:27 AM   #21

Garage
A shot of the sun in our backyard in Portland yesterday afternoon. Today, smokey gray/brown air. It’s so weird here.

I can’t count the number of Septembers we’ve been camping near Detroit Lake. So glad we didn’t make that choice this year. There’s basically one road out of there and folks were driving through a gauntlet of fire. It came down the canyons like a rocket. Nobody expected that speed. Carringb, hope your sis is ok. A ride like that would scare the bejesus out of me.

https://twitter.com/nicolefunke/stat...267891200?s=21

Old 09-11-2020, 08:17 AM   #22

I've heard from most people I know in OR but not from Lane, who is my contact at Reunal/Buckstop. He usually emails back same day too so I am worried they are scrambling. Does anyone know about that area- Prineville OR? Or JSweezy in Hillsboro OR?

Trying to wrap my brain around business owners having this 2020 double whammy.... but then having your whole town vanish is too much to process. Hang in there everyone, all I can say is thoughts and prayers to all.

Arctictraveller has the right idea- wintertime!!! How about snowy trip photos for good vibes to our fire crews

Here is a fire map Ive been keeping an eye on:
https://www.statesmanjournal.com/sto...st/5745405002/
Old 09-11-2020, 10:27 AM   #23

JSweezy's house a few miles downhill from the Chehalem fire, which they contained yesterday. MG's house it probably closer (on the other side) but in town so I don't think it was at risk.

No fires I'm aware of in Prineville. Buckstop is surrounded by GIANT data centers (Apple and Facebook) and Les Schwab's main warehouse, who keeps the tires all indoors or in container, so their shop is low risk. But, one of their commercial markets is brush-fire rigs, so they may be swamped trying to crank more out. They don' t just do the bumpers, but the entire suspension upgrade and super-single conversions.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:49 PM   #24

Here's a good comprehensive Oregon fire map fire info for adjacent states:

https://experience.arcgis.com/experi...7f33f06a3c376/
Old 09-11-2020, 12:51 PM   #25

And current OR road conditions. MANY major highways are closed indefinitely.
https://tripcheck.com
Old 09-12-2020, 07:48 AM   #26

Thanks for the maps and info CarringB. I did hear from Jsweezy by pm too. That tripcheck link almost shut down my phone! Quite powerful.
It was hard to tell what division/subsidiary Buckstop is or Reunel has so brush fire rigs makes sense. I ordered some climbing harnesses from Misty Mountain. a small manufacturer in NC in April.... still waiting on partial delivery. I learned from sales manager that they have great contracts with military because they’re all USA- labor and materials sourcing. + they have a corner on adaptive market. Once again, American companies excel 🇺🇸
Have had 2020 plans to visit PNW on hold all year! Good friend in Tacoma + would love to meet venerable Van people. Well, I can wait- God bless our first responders and fire professionals
Old 09-12-2020, 12:07 PM   #27
Site Team

Garage
One of my buddies I fly RC stuff with is an airline pilot and sent me this pic over Lodi Ca at 26000 feet. He said that was the smoke level.
Attached Thumbnails
Tom.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:18 PM   #28

Looks like smoke has reached central ohio this afternoon. At least from the smoke pallor i remember from when when I lived in Montana.
How is everyone from the west doing after that rough weekend? 😢
Old 09-14-2020, 08:08 PM   #29

Garage
Still safe in Portland and environs so far. But still choking. Haven’t been out of the house in three days. There are signs of impending rain and I’m getting really good at my rain dance.