Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2019, 12:18 AM   #1

May SF Bay Meetup

Hi all--

This idea came from the "Hello from San Ramon" discussion and wanted to repost the idea in the right section with a better title so that people local to the bay area who might be interested in meeting other members of this community would have an easy time finding it and hopefully hear about it before hand rather than after the fact.

In the aforementioned thread, it seems that there is a fair amount of local interest in finding a place to meet up. Most of this interest stems from San Francisco so far, but others from Livermore, Napa, and Burlingame have also expressed interest.

My thoughts on where and when this meetup might take place-
Two dates that have come to mind are May 11 and May 18- Both are Saturdays. Hopefully this works for most peoples schedules, as it is not mid week, and those of us who have plans/other priorities on Sunday are not left out.

I'm thinking this would probably be better off as a morning event rather than lunch or dinner event. I think a start time of ~8 AM or 9AM and letting the meet-up run as long as people were interested, perhaps 10-11AM, depending on attendance.

Cities that came to mind were Oakland/Alameda, Walnut Creek, or San Ramon- Ideally nobody has to drive too far, I would like to keep round-trips under 100 miles so that if someone wishes to attend but doesn't have a lot of time, they don't have to drive for very long to get to/from the meetup.

I'm open to suggestions on where to meet up, I think the only requirements are big parking lots and easy to get to would be a plus.

-- Open to any and all suggestions.
-- If you are interested in attending: If you have a meeting location that would accommodate a bunch of vans in mind that hasn't been mentioned, please share. If one date or time works better than another, please mention it.

If I am the one planning this unassisted, I will specify date/time/location by majority vote.

I'll kick things off with a vote for Peet's Coffee on Crow Canyon Road in San Ramon. Preferred date/time would be May 18 @ 8AM.

Original thread can be found here: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...mon-23714.html

Hope to hear from others!
-Erik

Old 04-12-2019, 09:34 AM   #2

Good a place as any along with regards to Alyssa'a offer if San Ramon keeps popping up.

I googled Bay Area parks. Most cost to park. Cull Canyon appears free and has ~150 spots.

I also was trying to think of somewhere a bit more inland. Castro Valley somewhere. Maybe the shopping mall in Concord.

Perhaps there is a 4x4/off-road or RV shop in the area that could squeeze in up to 20 .

Any parking lot will do. Buy a coffee , you're a customer, hang all day.
regis101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:50 AM   #3

The Willows Shopping Center in Concord might be a good place, I'm thinking over by the REI store. There is typically plenty of parking in the back lots that are located between I-680 and the shopping center, plus plenty of food and drink options there. And who here doesn't need to go to REI for one reason or another?

I like the idea of meeting in the morning. Too many other things to do on the weekend that can still be done after getting together.

I'm in Walnut Creek, anywhere in the East Bay is easy for me. I don't mind going over one of the bridges, but parking options get harder to find.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:17 PM   #4

I’m in Discovery Bay so anywhere off the 580 corridor is fine with me. May 18th works best for me.
alaimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 05:19 PM   #5

How about one of the East Bay Regional Parks in the East Bay? since we're talking outdoorsy vans?

Some do have entrance fees, like the Bear Creek Staging Area for Briones outside Orinda. But the Lafayette Staging area just off 24 near Acalanes High doesn't have a fee. I don't think there's a fee for the overflow lot near Castle Rock. Or for Las Trampas. Or Round Valley. Or the Redwood Road entrance to Chabot up near the top. Or Martinez Shoreline, and that has beer gardens and food not far away.

https://www.ebparks.org/parks/default.htm

I'm not as familiar with city parks, but assume Heather Farms in WC would be crowded.

May 11 would work best for me.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:30 PM   #6

Meet up East Bay

I'm in for any weekend in May. East Bay is best for me but will drive further if need be.

Steve
bonedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:31 PM   #7

I am in favor of East Bay and Diablo Valley. But I will probably come as far as 50 miles.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:41 PM   #8

Love to meetup, but we can't make May 11 and May 18 weekends. We're out in the rig somewhere! : )
Next time.
I might suggest a campout at Jade Mill campground in Clearcreek BLM area down south of Hollister during June or fall/winter/spring. Free ($5/week/vehicle) , quite, shade, no one goes there, new table/fire rings/ pit toilet, trails and creek to walk along. No water. OHV and street vehicles can also get a gate pass to drive beyond gate after Jade Mill into back roads.

https://www.recreation.gov/vehiclepermits/250848
https://www.blm.gov/programs/recreat...anagement-area
Old 04-30-2019, 05:07 PM   #9

Garage
Hi all,

Great initiative. My van is rented both weekend but I am happy to stop by. I am in Walnut Creek. What about top of Mount diablo. There is a large parking on the top (left side with nice view). Fees is 10 usd for the day but a lot of trails. I am not sure we need 300 parking space for us:-).

@Erik, if you create a google spreadsheet, you can track the number of participants easely.

Regards

B
Old 04-30-2019, 10:29 PM   #10

All the feedback is pointing to the parks- Mount Diablo is within the ~50 mile range of SF, Cull Canyon also seems like it would be okay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfolens View Post
What about top of Mount diablo. There is a large parking on the top (left side with nice view). Fees is 10 usd for the day but a lot of trails.
Hmm, I could have sworn I was up there last summer with my dad, we planned on riding our motorcycles through the park... Ranger said $25 a piece (For a quick 15-20 minute ride through the park, $50 seemed a bit high)... Not that I have any trouble finding $25 to pay the parks if it means meeting up with all the other SMB owners. I suppose after all, the money is going to a good place.

---
Thoughts on Mt. Diablo Summit?
Dates still seem to be up in the air- one for 11th, one for 18th. I'm flexible, and I am presuming everyone who hasn't specified is also flexible.