Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2011, 10:58 AM   #141

Re: Meet and Greet at Valley of Fire, October 7-9,2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcintire
Rob:

Wow! And I'm the one who needs to get a life? I hope you got this list off the Internet somewhere and didn't have to put it together yourself.

Alabama wins again. They've got the Valley of Fire beat hands down! In fact, at least one of the movies the Internet says was filmed in the Valley of Fire (the original Planet of the Apes) was actually filmed at Lake Powell. So much for V of F.

Now I need to go camping in the Alabama Hills. You set up the Meet and Greet (or just the two of us) and I will be there.

Mac

P.S.: A CSI episode where a lady is found floating in a pool at a house party was filmed at my neighbor's house. Do I get any points for that?

Yes, internet search
and Double Bonus Points for the Floater!

billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #142
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Dave:

The highs during the Meet and Greet are expected to be in the upper 80's and the lows in the mid 60's. But I have to tell you that even 90 in Vegas feels perfect this time of year. I know it's a cliche, but it really is a dry heat. Right now, at 8:26am, it is 72 degrees and heavenly. This past weekend was perfect football weather. Since you are going to be the first to arrive, I would suggest you take one of the shadier campsites in Arch Rock CG -- sites 25-28. I seriously doubt you will have any heat problems. The weather at night is perfect for sleeping. You can leave your windows and doors open since there are no mosquitoes in the desert. So don't let the weather hold you back. I was driving across the desert last week with no air conditioning and my windows down. It was fine for me.

Hope we don't miss you.

Mac
Lets hope for a bit of a break.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #143
Site Team

Daveb:

I guess I was wrong. I was just sitting outside in 91 degree heat and it felt hot. It feels good when riding my motorcycle, but when sitting at a stop sign it's hot.

Just wanted to let you know to help you make your decision of whether to come to the Meet and Greet. But also know that the weather will be perfect in the morning, evening and at night.

Mac
Old 09-26-2011, 05:48 PM   #144

Just remember, you can drive 15-20 miles and swim in Lake Mead. If there is any water.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:30 PM   #145

Dave,
I think it's worth it? You may miss the Largest Meetup Ever. I'll buy you a COLD BEER.

Paul
Old 09-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #146
Site Team

Garage

Thanks Paul, I might just take you up on that Just curious, I assume it has been discussed but how close is the nearest beer & ice? I was planning to bring my trailer loaded with brew but would rather not pull it if the weather is warm, therefore I'll have to hunt down my daily fix.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:02 PM   #147

Just seen in this topic viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7864&p=68875#p68875 that jsaavedrav will attend the M&G.

Getting bigger
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:41 PM   #148
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewST
Just seen in this topic viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7864&p=68875#p68875 that jsaavedrav will attend the M&G.

Getting bigger
Yes. They are coming from Mexico. We have 26 confirmed rigs and 6 possibles. It should be an amazing outing.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:45 PM   #149
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Thanks Paul, I might just take you up on that Just curious, I assume it has been discussed but how close is the nearest beer & ice? I was planning to bring my trailer loaded with brew but would rather not pull it if the weather is warm, therefore I'll have to hunt down my daily fix.
It's only about 15 easy miles out the east entrance to a very nice grocery store (and McDonalds) in Overton. You can get ice and anything else you want there. And there's an Ace Hardware store for any emergencies.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:41 PM   #150

Quote:
Daveb:

I guess I was wrong. I was just sitting outside in 91 degree heat and it felt hot. It feels good when riding my motorcycle, but when sitting at a stop sign it's hot.

Just wanted to let you know to help you make your decision of whether to come to the Meet and Greet. But also know that the weather will be perfect in the morning, evening and at night.

Mac
91 in the shade is generally fine for me in the desert, especially with a breeze. 91 in direct sun for long periods not so fun so I bring a portable EZup when I hit the dez. The last trip out to the local desert it was 100+ so we hung in the shade until the evening when it cools off pretty quick.

A few years ago when my father was in town he really wanted to go to the desert and it was 106 in camp. Over by the Pinnacles it was 117 when we were off-roading in my truck at the time. We brought along some personal misters from Big 5 and they really helped lower the temps. Maybe buy some misters or one of the portable fans that has a mister (not a tiny one). You can also buy a new empty bug sprayer and hook up a mister kit. We used to do this at the motocross track and hang it around the EZup. Would last about 10 minutes or so and cooled about 20 degrees..another idea.

Looking forward to this outing. Daveb you need to make it, even if you get a hotel and come out at night . Just went to the Expo outing this past weekend in the So Cal mountains and there were about 60 different vehicles. Great times.
Eric

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote