Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2011, 05:34 PM   #71
Site Team

Re: Meet and Greet at Valley of Fire, October 7-9,2011

We've just had our 20th rig confirm they will be coming to the Meet and Greet. We're creating our own little city! Let's hope no non-Sportsmobilers want to camp out there that weekend! Interestingly eight rigs are arriving on the 6th or earlier. So it will at least be a four-day event. Better bring a lot of reading material -- the park is not that big!

Old 09-03-2011, 08:04 PM   #72
Site Team

I just got some bad news from the Valley of Fire ranger. They just told me we can't have two rigs in a campsite and we can't save campsites. They said a person has to occupy the site when the save it. I guess I should not have asked. I'm sure it would have been better to beg for forgiveness. My only advice now is get there as soon as you can!

I'm going to try to appeal this to a higher authority at the park.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:12 PM   #73

But, once you occupy the site, you can leave can't you?

So, a paid up site with a chair or tablecloth might be left behind as someone is out playing.

I still think if we pay for the site and have a lic# and name and that person will (wink, wink) return later it should be ok. Not much we can do about the no 2 vans/site rule.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:20 PM   #74
Site Team

Mike:

You are probably right. We will just have to make it look like someone is actually there. I sent a follow-up email asking them to appeal their decision to a higher level. I've told them I personally will guarantee them the income from 28 sites for Friday and Saturday. If they were business people, versus bureaucrats, they'd take the guaranteed revenue over the chance the campground might fill up on those nights. We'll see how they respond.

Mac
Old 09-03-2011, 08:45 PM   #75
CJ

Send a message via Yahoo to CJ

Unfortunately we are dealing with the more bureaucratic minds, however brains prevail. I look at it this way; you get the sites you pay for. So if you don’t mind flitting the tab using my information I will gladly pay you back when I get there. Technically this is not saving anything. I totally agree with Mike.

Thanks Mac.

Bottom line is it’s never worth a rise in blood pressure! These rigs can take any dirt road to pop the top and camp anywhere!!

Old 09-04-2011, 08:47 AM   #76
Site Team

In dawned on me in the middle of the night last night that the Arch CG sign (see in post above) clearly states we can have two vehicles in a campsite. They just both have to pay the fee. So I don't think we will have a problem fitting everyone in. Let's just hope the park staff doesn't get uppity.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #77
CJ

Send a message via Yahoo to CJ

That makes it better but I still say that if I arrived and all the sites were empty I could legally (within rules) register and purchase all of them. Virtually have the whole place to myself............or share them with my SMB buddies.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:23 PM   #78
Site Team

That's my thinking too, but the Park folks disagree. Her exact statement is:

"Unfortunately, our camp grounds can not be reserved or rented for an exclusive group. They are on a first come, first serve basis. This also means that you can not hold the site for anyone that is showing up at a later time or date. The person needs to occupy the site when they pay for it."

Seems to me if a large family were coming to the Valley of Fire, but arriving at different times, it would be a horrible policy if they couldn't pay for the campsites next to each other so the family could be together. That's not family-friendly and just rude! I'm hoping the Park folks won't be difficult about it when we are there. They've always been nice toward me in the past, so I'm hoping the admin person I've been communicating with is just an anomaly. I'm hoping for the best and looking forward to a wonderful, hassle-free, fun event.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:52 PM   #79

Mac,

Don't worry about it, you've done what you can do and I am sure all of us on the forum that will be there agree. I think everything will work out just fine. It looks to me on my Topo map it will be quite easy to find a place to park for a night or two or three.

Again, thanks so much for doing all this for the group.

Woody
Old 09-05-2011, 12:40 AM   #80
Site Team

Garage

Do they take checks and how often do they come through to look? I would think that if a few folks sent you a check it would seem like the person did arrive and some left out as a group to explore. I know Dunbar can grab a spot if needed with his tent but we still might boon dock. If others that come early have small tents, the checks, and plate number, I would think it could work...camouflage and decoy.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote